Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alder/poplar pickup suggestions please...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alder/poplar pickup suggestions please...

Over the past few months, I've been finding myself less and less satisfied with the tone in two of my USA Jacksons, an RR2 with Armstrong JP10/11 set and KV2 with Duncan JB/JB set, both having alder (or maybe poplar?) bodies. The Armstrongs are good pickups, reminding me of the Duncan Distortion, good output and a nice tone for the most part, but lacking a bit of string definition during leads. As for the JB bridge humbucker in the KV2, it suffers from the usual JB problems: muddy when palm-muting and too bright on leads. It doesn't matter what amp I'm using either -- the RR2 sounds sloppy and raw, and the KV2 lacks balls. I need something that keeps its low end intact when picking fast on the low E, and enough midrange to stand out during leads, but not harsh on the high end.

I really like the Duncan Full Shred as an all-in-one pickup, but I like its sound better in ash than alder, and the Duncan Distortion sounds so close to the Armstrong JP that I don't think it'd be much of an improvement. I'm most curious the Duncan Custom V, the Parallel Axis Distortion, and the Dimebucker (or Lawrence equivalent) as possible alternatives. Nothing against DiMarzios either, but I'm just not familiar with them except the PAF Pro.
    sigpic

Re: Alder/poplar pickup suggestions please...

I have a Duncan custom in my Alder Warrior and haven't found a pickup I like better yet. I guess my favorite thing about it is how crisp and clear it sounds but still has a high output. I had a JB is my SL1 and have to agree with you. The tone just sounded off after a while. Not the case with my Warrior though. I would say the custom probably gives the most pure untainted tone of the guitar without coloring it. If you want to change the way you sound you do it at the amp or rack gear you use.
    We must!
    We must!
    We must increase the bust!
    The bigger the better!
    The tighter the sweater!
    The boys are counting on us!

Comment

I agree with Soloist1...Duncan Custom.

Comment

I'm more of a DiMarzio fan and really like the Tone Zone and Super Distortion or X2N for bridge pups. I like the PAF Pro or Super 2 for neck pups. Check out DiMarzio's site for output and tone specs. www.dimarzio.com
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

If you're still open to suggestions, maybe you'll be interested in the active EMG-85 in the bridge and neck positions. Fat classic tone, intensely clear string definition. I can strum full open and barre chords with medium-high levels of gain and I get this "I can't believe it's not muddy" epiphany. To me, I think it has what you're looking for... tight thick thunderous low end, loads of midrange that cuts through, and a little less harsh in the high end compared with the EMG-81. Neck position sounds SOOOOO smooth for solos, and bridge position absolutely rips for thick rhythms.

But, this isn't a competition where the best suggestions wins... as always, try 'em all out if you can! Might even find something that suits you perfectly that wasn't suggested by us! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

For actives, I like the EMG89. Sounds like an 85 but gives you the single-coil split option that sounds just like their SA. For passives I'm likin' the Duncan Pearly Gates, though Customs are awesome too.

Comment

Yeah, the EMG-89 is pretty awesome... I have an EMG-89 in the neck of my KE3 along with an EMG-85 in the bridge. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

...I hav the 89 in the bridge pos. in a 1 piece Koa Strat. I find the Alnico type works better in lighter bodywoods, don't you? Ceramics (81) work better in heavy woods. I have an Ash body Charvel-necked beast w/the 81 in the bridge and it's downright evil! [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Comment

what speakers are you using? Maybe add a celestion v30 (or 2) to your cab. They are punchy on the low end, with excellent midrange voicing. Maybe a bit too much high end for you, I dont know. Ever tried them?

Comment

I agree with what's already been said..

If you want to go Seymour Duncan.. You can hardly beat a Custom in Alder..

If you want Dimarzio.. then the Tone Zone is a good choice.. I had that combo (Tone Zone/Dimarzio PAF (a.k.a. the DP103)..)in the DKMG body that I built and that combo was beautiful in that guitar. The PAF by itself is a pretty good choice too.. Had a Tone Zone in that San Dimas Jackson (Face graphic) and that guitar RIPPED!!

Hope that helps..

Comment

I second a Custom if you want to go the Duncan route-the bass focus it has helps to balance the tone a bit.

I have a L-500XL in my KE2...and I LOVE it! I took the JB out, and the guitar just came to life! VERY clear,VERY articulate, and it just screams!

You will have to re-EQ your setup though-Bill's pickups are balanced tonally to let the guitar sound like itself, so you have to adjust. But let me tell you..it rocks!

Downside-REAL L-500XL pickups are only sold by Bill himself. They are made by hand for the most part, and can take up to 3 months to get. I sent the orderin for mine in early Nov, and got the pickup in late Jan.

Well worth the wait!

Comment

my fav in all the kinds of wood is the DiMarzio Steve's Special. It sounds great in a poplar model 6. It has lots of balls (low end), but has no midrange at all, but the combination of high end and low end compensates somehow. The best thing about it is that it keeps the pick attack amazingly clean.

Somehow DiMarzio doesn't seem to appeal over here, and especially the steve's special is never mentioned, although it is a distinctive PU, that can be used for many styles.

Harrald

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. I've tried the EMG 89 in an alder Hamer, and while I can get a good sound out of it, it's not the all-in-one pickup for me -- I can imagine myself using it to record rhythm tracks, but no amount of EQing and tweaking has taken off the harsh edge it has through my old Peavey amps. The Full Shred sounds good in my alder (or poplar?) Soloist Pro, and I've used it both live and in the studio with good results, so that's an option. But I don't need three guitars with the same wood/pickup arrangement, thus my search for something new.

As EQ and speakers are concerned, my goal is to have a setup that I can use anywhere with minimal changes. I've used Sheffields, Celestion V30s, Peavey Rams and Scorpions, with or without my little ART Tube EQ. Part of the reason that I am tired of the RR2's Armstrongs is that they are louder than all of the other pickups I use.

I do have a Steve's Special in a Stealth parts mutt, but I don't have that wired up yet. I'll probably start with the KV2, as it only needs a bridge pickup replacement, and depending on how that goes, work on the RR2 after that.
                          sigpic

Comment

Has anyone tried an 85-85 combination in a mahogony body? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I haven't, but I had an 81/81 combo in a mahogany body and it was HOT!! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Couldn't really see why they had two 81's in there though ( I got the guitar that way..). Not a whole lot of tonal variety in that guitar..

Comment

Working...
                              X