Limited Edition '88 guestion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Limited Edition '88 guestion

Does anyone know what wood is used for body in Jackson Limited Edition '88?

Isn't '88 a "Custom Shop" guitar? I recently bought #88271 so I guess it is number 271 of 500. In fact I'm more a Les Paul playing guy but I simply fell in love with this one. Great player and unbelieveable sustain.

Re: Limited Edition \'88 guestion

I think it's probably alder. My old '88 didn't sound dark enough to be mahogany, but it's been long enough that my memory could be faulty in that regard.

All Jackson USA guitars are made in the Custom Shop, even regular production models. Production models are really just runs of guitars with standardized features, and that is all that separates them from custom orders--they are made side-by-side by the same people.

Interestly, the Ltd. '88 was the first 'standardized' model that the USA shop made, wasn't it? While there were certain 'baseline' features on earlier guitars, each was still made to order, even if the orderer was a music store ordering a run of basically similar guitars. As far as being "limited", a run of 500 guitars is not all that limited by Custom Shop standards...of course, does anyone know if 500 of these guitars were actually built?

Comment

All Jackson USA guitars are made in the Custom Shop, even regular production models. Production models are really just runs of guitars with standardized features, and that is all that separates them from custom orders--they are made side-by-side by the same people.

As Moe the Bartender (Simpsons) would say, "Whaaaaaa?!?" [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

I didn't know that! First I find out that my current Japanese Soloists are a far cry from USA Soloists, then I find out that an off the rack USA Soloist is equivalent to a Custom Shop model (from a quality standpoint)! If this is true, I think fate is telling me it's time to buy an SL2H!

Comment

I beleive the LTD 88's are Alder. I have 88474 so at least that may were made according to seriel numbers. It would be cool to see how many of us have them and see if we can determin if there were 500 really made.
        Gil

Comment

Mine's 88231, and is scalloped from the 19th fret up(I heard somewhere that some were scalloped lower down as well)
          Cheers
          Ian
          Popular is not the same as good
          Rare is not the same as valuable
          Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

I beleive they were all scalloped from the 19th up were they not?
            Gil

Comment

Ian, I have 232! Mine is scalloped from the 13th fret on up. Very cool guitars indeed. I'm quite sure the body wood was poplar though.
              "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
              Gotta get away from here.
              Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
              Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

#188 here.

How does one determine alder or poplar? [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I can't tell 'em apart..

Mine's scalloped 15+....

It's my understanding that this was Jackson's first Limited Edition.
                750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
                Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

Alder and poplar are similar tonally, so you almost have to look at the bare wood to tell--though isn't poplar a little heavier than alder? My '88 was not a heavy guitar, but neither was it a featherweight---damn, now I wish I had it back!! I sold it a few years back when I had to stop playing for a few months due to getting carpal tunnel syndrome--I got a Model 5 project to work on while I was recovering. That '88 neck was just the best!

Comment

I've got 88348, scalloped from 19 and up....

Comment

I have 310, with scallops 19+. I also have the official looking Certificate of Authenticity.

Comment

I have 303, with scallops 19+ also.

Comment

Thank you everyone for answers! And keep going on. I love to hear more about this great guitar!

Comment

How are the pups wired? With 2 pups and a 5-way switch, I'm not sure how the wiring is actually done. Sounds great, though!

Any ideas?

Thanks,
                            Paul
                            '88 LE number 310

Comment

What are these worth. Theres a place here in town that has one for sale but they are asking $1200. It was nice but I thought it was over priced.
                              Damn, I love this Interweb.

Comment

Working...
                              X