Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any pics of Black Pearl DK1?

Hi,
    I'm considering buying a new DK1 and trying to decide on the color. I was wondering what black pearl looks like and if anyone has a pic?

Thanks

Re: Any pics of Black Pearl DK1?

Pearls are hard to photograph - they either sparkle too much or not enough. If you've seen those metallic paintjobs up close, you know they have large flecks of glitter, but Pearl paintjobs have much smaller flecks, resulting in less reflectivity than metallics.

Newc
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Thanks Newc for the reply.

So black bearl has smaller flakes in it. I wasn't sure if it was like some of the reflective paint jobs like when you look at one angle it is more grey and at another angle more black.

I have the catalog, but it's tough to tell what it looks like in the little color square. It almost looks grey to me.

I'm still undecided on a color. The nebula finish looks pretty good. I'm not much for the graveyard and skull finishes, since I'm getting old. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Is there a price difference between the different finishes listed in the catalog?

I thought about Black Cherry, but had seen a pic somewhere and it looked more like burgundy to me and the pic in the back of the catalog looks like metallic purple. It's rough not being able to see these colors in person.

Thanks

Comment

I think the graphic and transparent finishes will run you 2-3 hundred dollars extra. Not sure about the pearl ones.

I've seen a black pearl DK-1 and it does look very nice. I happened to order the standard black with mine, but you really can't go wrong.

Comment

My SL1 is black pearl; like Newc said, it doesn't really come across in photographs much:

it's very subtle even in person actually, it's noticably different than standard black in a side-by-side comparison, but on it's own, it's not really that easy to tell.. like black, but just a bit more.. pearly.. heh [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Thanks Argos for the info & Yabba for the info and pic.

I'm mainly a strat and tele guy nowadays, but want to have one shred guitar for when I take a wild spell. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I'm pretty sure I've narrowd it down to the Black Pearl or the Nebula for the DK1.

Yabba, does the Black Pearl change color from different angles like from Grey to Black or is there actual flakes in the paint? Just trying to figure out what the term Pearl means as regard to the paint finish.

Thanks

Comment

it's not really a flip-flop effect. There are actual flakes in the paint; but they're not really visible as flakes, like in a metallic finish; it's sorta like as if you took those flakes and put them in a blender and reduced them to dust, then mixed that in to the black paint. It makes it not really actually sparkly or metallic, but sort of vaguely opalescent (I think that's a real word..), or well.. like a pearl, at least when compared to standard black.

Like I said, it's a pretty subtle thing (at least on my SL1, I don't know if there's variability in this sort of thing)

Comment

Thanks yabba for the info.

Comment

yeah, check out.

www.guitarexpress.com

Comment

Working...
                  X