Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Personality with power or clarity pickups?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Personality with power or clarity pickups?

Greetings everyone. I am planning to buy a Bare Knuckle pickup. And since these are NOT cheap, I would like some general info on certain types of pickups. Forst of all, I want more personality i.e. more response to pick attack, hands etc. I suspect that a higher impendace pickups, like 22,5K will not yield that much of personality, while a lower impendance, like 9,75K, will. Am I right? What about the attack? The choice that I am about to make is between the Black Dog (9,75K) and the Warpig(22,5K). These are scatterwound, handmade in Englans. Look at www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk
    Thank you for suggestions.
    P.S. I am getting an SL2HT. What will be best for her?

Re: Personality with power or clarity pickups?

Hmmm. Interesting naming convention [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] At least it gives you a better idea of the actual output [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    Anyway, if you're looking for pickups that you can really work, I'd say go with the BlackDog model. Though I haven't tried that brand, what I know of other pickups should apply, in that if you slam a chord with a lower-impedance pickup it'll sound a bit different than if you just hit it in a normal manner, whereas with a high-output pickup, it doesn't matter too much how you hit the chords.

Newc
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by The Chase:
      I am getting an SL2HT. What will be best for her?
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Well, why do you want to change the pups out before you even get the guitar? I'd just see how the stock Duncans sound before you go switching to something else.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Duncans have plenty of personality and power, dude. Trust me. I talked to mine last night, they spoke eloquently about the post industrial revolution era of middle America while we had tea and cake. I then hooked my Duncans up to a car...it was like NOS on crack...zoooooom [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] ....powerful shizzle there.

Seriously, Duncan pick ups are good...don't buy some pickup you've never heard before because their website says it sounds better. Mind you, they made those assertions without providing audio proof or support.

Comment

Then again, if the SL comes with a JB in the bridge, you might want to either swap it to the neck or use it as a doorstop [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

Newc
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

The thing is that Bareknuckle are scatterwound, while Seymours are mass produced and 'tight' wound so to say. I wonder if the Evenly Voiced Harmonics custom pickup is scatterwound or conventional? And I do not know, whether the Warpig has greater output; it just has more impendance.

Comment

I think maybe you are "caught up"in the hype of their advertising.Call Seymour Duncan ask him about "scatter winding"see what he says.Call Jim Rolph ask him the same thing.There are lots of pickup makers out there and I don't hear any of them tout the benifit of "scatter winding".Maybe its just me but I don't buy their ad game.Show me some MP3s
              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I am a big fan of Lundgren( www.lundgren.se ) The M-6 is an awsome pickup, It has that bite and clarity of active with the organic feel and sound of a passive. They are cost a bit but well worth it in the long run, you can email him for pricing or help om getting the exact sound/pickup you want. Very nice guy!

Comment

Too late haha Well, I've always wanted a Tony Iommy pickup, so I ordered the Warpig. If I lived in the Sates, I would have surely tried lots of other brands, but... Thanks for the answers, though. Bareknuckles seem to be the only producer of English pickups. I don't think that they've advertised too much. It's the English quality anyways, and there's no top secret in making good quality pickups either. Thanks again, guys!

Comment

Cool topic. What is the ultimate bridge pickup to get sounds ranging from Van Halen I to Zakk Wylde out of a guitar with mahogany body and maple cap?

Amplification is a Behringer V-Amp Pro into a Marshall Valvestate rack power amp, through a Marshall 1960A (slant) 4 x 12.

From what I have tried and owned, I love the EMG 81 & 85, hated Seymour Duncan (SD) Full Shred, liked SD JB until I heard the EMGs, like SD Custom Custom for early VH but not so much for Zakk Wylde (no high end sparkle).

I will probably go with EMGs, but I'm wondering about other pickups I haven't heard like the SD Dime model, SD LiveWires, DiMarzio Tone Zone, or maybe an SD Custom 5 or EVH. Anyone know about these, or others I have missed?

Comment

The DiMarzio Tone Zone is cool, but a little dark sounding. I prefer their Super Distortion!! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I think there are lots of non-pop brand pickups producers which can make you your dream pickup. There is no need to go for Seymours just because the name sounds cooler than the actual thing. As for the Van Halen and Zakk, it is almost impossible, since you have to consider the impendance, which is like 5k lower for Van HAlen's PUP compared to Zakk's. Maybe if some military scientists started making these, they would have provided us with some fantastic results I'm serious.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam:
                          The DiMarzio Tone Zone is cool, but a little dark sounding. I prefer their Super Distortion!! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">How is the Dual sound in comparison to the SD?
                          Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

ive been playing screamin deamons for a few years becuase they have less output than a jb but equal harmonics. they're something like 9k .... im not a big fan of hot pickups like EMG's. i just picked up an 'evh' custom shop pickup... i am going to put it in my main guitar and see how it sounds. i have heard people with the same amp as me play with a guitar with the 'evh' and i was impressed. we'll see....

Comment

If you like the Screamin' Demon you might also want to try Gibson's Iommi sig pup. It's as close to the SD as anything else I've tried. Hopefully The Chase will post a review of the Warpig - it sounds interesting but it seems like it's going to be way different than Tony's pups.
                              Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

Working...
                              X