Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Personality with power or clarity pickups?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Personality with power or clarity pickups?

Originally posted by Flatpicker:
    How is the Dual sound in comparison to the SD?
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Does Dimarzio even make the Dualsound anymore, and if so, why? It was nothing more than a four-conductor version of the original SD, which was only two-conductor. But new SDs also have four-conductor wires, so you can split coils or do parallel/series wiring. I strongly doubt that there is ANY sound difference between the SD and Dualsound.

For what it's worth, I have an old '80s vintage Dualsound in my Soloist right now, which I took out of an old beater guitar, and it sounds great. Ironically, I don't have it wired in a four-conductor setup. The SD is tighter and crisper than the Duncan Distortion, but not quite as juicy-sounding, or as full in the low-end. I'm thinking of trying a ToneZone or Super3 in my Soloist. I've used a Super3 in a Carvin I had before, but that guitar sounded so different than my Soloist that it's hard to know what effect a Super3 would have.

Comment

While I've never tried the Dual Sound, it's supposed to be the exact same as a Super Distortion, just it includes a mini toggle switch for parallel operation as well as coil splitting besides the normal series sound. And it is still in their catalogs.
      And, yes, DiMarzio will still make any pickup that they don't advertise in the catalog any more (Super 2, Super 3, Megadrive, Double Whammy, whatever). You can call them directly or order through a dealer. I just got a Super 2 for the neck of my Warrior, and that thing is one of the best pups ever... and it matches great with the X2N bridge!!! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Here's a great dealer for ordering DiMarzio, Duncan or EMG pups, as well as other gear. He's got an ebay store, but you can call him and order direct, which is what I did when I didn't see a black Super 2 on his site. http://www.mikes-music-shop.com/

[ February 19, 2004, 12:45 PM: Message edited by: toejam ]
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

yeah i have heard good things about the iommi pickup. how hot is it?
        as far as pickups for a non metal context i highly reccomend duncan's antiquity humbucker. i have a pair of them in a les paul and it gets gorgeous PAF tone. very easy to get that smoooth allman brothers sound or gritty billy gibbons sound. and they come with way-cool aged covers.

Comment

The new Gobson version of the Iommi Pickup is 14,4K, which is not that hot, but the Warpig is 22,4K, which HAS to be hot. Before the Gibson pickup, Iommi was using another one. Check this out at www.iommi.com, if I remember correctly. Gee. Iommi was always perceived to be a Gibson player, but most of his carreer he wasn't one!

Comment

Working...
          X