Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why does RR1 has 22 frets..so annoying

Originally posted by Flatpicker:
    If you state it that the RR is a model designation like a Les Paul and not a sig, then I guess you can change the specs to keep it current.

If that is so then I think Jackson should have a RR sig to market as the original model. The RR sig should be like the relic RR that Matt is selling, and thr RR series can have multiple models under it.

That a good compromise?
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yeah, that is something I've suggested back when McD came here looking for input. They should divide the Rhoads model into the "Classic" (more "Randy-esque, with 22 frets) and "Contemporary" (all the modern features)...or some such thing. That would be pretty cool I think. But maybe it would prove too costly? I dunno.

'bane

Comment

Originally posted by xjimmyleungx:
      anyways its not that important~~ 22 or 24..!!
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Apparently it is important to a lot of people. Some people go nuts if they don't have a full two octaves. I can get by with either, as I'm not much of a lead player, but I still would prefer the extra two frets.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

No "Classic/Contemporary" designations, please. We don't need model separation. There's no need to rename or surname a 24 fret Rhoads. Yes, the RR1, RR5, PCS Rhoads, and even the lowly Performer Rhoads was in fact a Rhoads model. It's the same body style, just as the Gibson Les Paul Custom, Standard, Junior, Special, ad nauseum are all Les Paul designs.

And yes, those JacksonStars models do indeed kick just as much ass as the USA Selects. I've got two nearly identical specimens of the same model (USA SLS Archtop SuperLight Soloist and Japanese-market New Archtop Superlight Soloist - NASL) and they are equals. The NASL has a slight advantage for being Cherry Burst and having a Schaller Floyd and gold hardware compared to the SLS's chrome hardware and traditional Gibson bridge/tail, but both kick major ass in equal amounts.

Newc
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

i'm teh same way. Teh only soloing i really do is melodic lyrical stuff. I'm not doing 5 string sweeps up to the highest 24fth fret E or anything. I'm linger around the 12th most of the time. but...still I want 24. kind of like a guy who needs a V8 in his pickup truck.

Comment

It's not just 2 extra frets, The whole neck is different!

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable:
              Here is one for ya!!! How about a Malmsteen Signature strat but without scalloped frets. We can also ditch the Dimarzio stacked singles and replace them with stock pickups along with a standard plastic nut. It would be so much more popular and I bet Yngwie would love it. Lets expand on your idea that 24 frets would still be a Randy Rhoads model. For example:
              An SRV Fender with a righty trem and humbuckers. They could call it the Double Trouble Fat Strat. It would be really popular. I am sure Stevie would have played one if he were still alive!
              How about a Hendrix signature strat that is righty strung righty with a single Duncan Invader in the bridge and a hardtail bridge. They could call it the Hendrix Model 182. I am positive he would be 100% cool with it if he were still alive. A signature model guitar is supposed to represent what the actual player played in the most accurate way possible. Speculating on what Randy would have played if he had lived is crazy but here is my guess anyway [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] . He probably would have ditched electric all together anyway and picked up an endorsement from Ramirez!! Either that or Jackson would have opened a classical division. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Okay, besides the good points others have made that MOST Rhoads models made today aren't to the specs of Randy's guitars, what do you say about the multitude of Gibson Les Paul Models, including the 24-fret DC models? Les is still alive today, and other than when they put his name on the SG, he has not objected to the various different features. Of course he basically invented the solidbody electric guitar (ahead of Leo Fender) as well as multitrack recording,
              so we owe him more than even Randy. Why would Randy, who all agree was a nice guy, deny people a 24-fret Rhoads, seeing that all other Jacksons have 24-fret models? Whether he'd have played it or not, he'd probably be disturbed at the fervor of those who DON'T want us to have it. They would sell like hotcakes and many people would love to have one. I won't buy a 22-fret Rhoads myself, but a 24-fret with fins, binding and Floyd? You bet! And yeah, that 5-string E minor sweep ending on the 24th fret high E is the reason why. If you don't need it or want it, fine; don't tell me I can't have it and Jackson can't sell it though.
              Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

BTW JG, your Charvel Avenger is VERY different from an orthodox Rhoads, yet I've read you call it a Rhoads. Did Randy's Rhoads guitars have a single coil pickup or a slanted bridge pickup? Or a Floyd? Or dot inlays? No, no, no and no. It's still considered a Rhoads by the C/J comunity, and it even has a different model name. Same with the Performer model Rhoads, which doesn't have a RR designation. If Jackson has deigned to make all these changes, and the Rhoads HAS come to mean a model designation, not a to-the-tee sig, then what's the problem with 2 extra frets?

It's no more or less significant than adding a Floyd Rose. I bet if you started making them all to Randy's guitars' specs, sales would actually dry up because of the lack of desired features. If Jackson wants to make some for museums, great. They wouldn't sell though, and Jackson knew it when they elaborated on the original.

AS for Randy going into classical, I doubt it. He would have probably immersed himself for awhile to gain theory and technique, but he started too late to become a world-reknowned classical guitarist. He'd have studied it to increase his abilities as a rock guitarist and raise the bar there, just as Yngwie did. I don't think he'd have given up rock superstardom to be a second-rate classical guitarist and live in obscurity. That's just my opinion, but I think it's the most likely path he'd have taken.
                Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

No, it's just 2 frets. The fretboard is extended deeper into the body and the neck pickup route is pushed closer to the bridge pickup route.
                  The heel location, fret/body joint, and neck profile are the same.

Newc
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc:
                    No, it's just 2 frets. The fretboard is extended deeper into the body and the neck pickup route is pushed closer to the bridge pickup route.

Newc
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Really ?

To my experience it is easier to reach the 22nd fret on a 24-fret guitar than on a 22-fretter.

Comment

quote:
                      Originally posted by Newc:
                      Newc

Really ? To my experience it is easier to reach the 22nd fret on a 24-fret guitar than on a 22-fretter.
                      --------------------
                      BobFromAccounting©

Is this generally true for Jacksons (e.g., for a Soloist?) Are 22 and 24 fret necks the same in terms of heel location, fret/body joint and neck profile? Are the last 2 frets just a fretboard extension that hangs past the neck, into the body?

Comment

Originally posted by quiksilver:
                        Is this generally true for Jacksons (e.g., for a Soloist?) Are 22 and 24 fret necks the same in terms of heel location, fret/body joint and neck profile? Are the last 2 frets just a fretboard extension that hangs past the neck, into the body?
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">It depends. I think Jackson's current line does not use the 'fretboard extension' method of adding frets 23-24. They probably have preset drilling machines (or some such) to put the bridge in a different place depending on the number of frets. In the past, though, I know that fretboard extensions were used--I recall my '88 ltd. edition having the overhanging fretboard--although that guitar used a somewhat modified Strat body, rather than a Dinky.

On neckthrus, of course, it's a different story. The SL4 had 22 frets on the same exact body structure as the 24 fret Soloists, and the bridge was placed further back on the body to accomodate the difference. On a RR24, there wouldn't be as much room to move the bridge back, so it would be easier to just extend the fretboard further along the neckthru section. That's what they've done on custom-shop RR24s up until now.

Personally, I think an RR24 would look better with just a single humbucker, but that's just my taste.

Comment

No matter what people say 24 frets is da bomb.

22 Frets are for people with short fingers.

Comment

This is a waste discussion. What are you, people, ranting about? Is it YOUR business? IF Jackson management wants to issue the guitar - let them do it. And it will be entirely up to you, whether to buy it or not. I would. Nobody is forcing you to buy it.

Comment

i just want an original replica of randy's guitar. like the ones they made in the early 90's

Comment

Working...
                              X