Used 1987 Ontario Soloist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Used 1987 Ontario Soloist

Hey guys, how much do you think i could get for a used soloist in alright condition?
    specs are - ebony fretboard with sharkfin inlays, neck through body, Kahler, SD pickups, s/s/h config with kill seperate pickup selectors and die cast tuners.
    thanks

Re: Used 1987 Ontario Soloist

Comment

Maybe $700, $800 tops if its really clean. Maybe.

Comment

Why do those soloists run so cheap ? Simply because of the Kahler ?

Comment

Jacksons run cheap.

Comment

Damn good thing they are my favorite guitars. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] In fact, I'de love a soloist like that if I could ever scrounge up the dough. Hard enough making tuition payments. [img]graemlins/eyes.gif[/img]

Comment

I LOVE Soloists and have quite a few. The Kahler tends to be a negative for many. All of mine have Floyds or Schallers but I've looked at a few with Kahlers and almost bought them. 500 at the bottom end and 800 in really sweet shape. I just got another one last week: a wine red '88 Custom with a Schaller and matching hs. A few small dings but in really nice shape. I paid about 8 for it and to me, it was a deal. The matching head was the clincher for me along with the color. Is yours graphic'd?

Comment

Tom, was that Ted Seckinger's Soloist from Atlanta, GA? If so, I played that axe, very cool one for sure.
                "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
                Gotta get away from here.
                Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
                Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

In my inexpert opinion, you're looking at about $6-700 for a Kahlered Soloist of that era, and maybe $8-900 for one with a Floyd. Apart from the merits of Kahler vs. Floyd (which is a matter of taste), not nearly as many people want Kahlers, so that will naturally drive the price down. That's assuming that the guitar is in good shape otherwise.

The real values to be had in USA Soloists are early '90s non-graphic guitars. I've gotten two of them (both 1993s) within the last year or so and never paid more than $650--and the higher-priced one was in stunningly good shape.

Comment

Joe,
                    Yeah, it was Ted's Soloist. The neck is a little thicker but exactly as I like it.

I have an 85, and 96, an 87, an 88, a 91, and a 98. I'd like another early to mid 90's. I really dig the 86- 88 model years so I keep a close eye out for them. My primary goal is to find a reverse head and either an all yellow or all white w/ matching head. About a month ago, Brooks planted the seed saying he may sell his RHY soloist and I made some offers. He wasn't sure at the time that he wanted to sell. Then I went to Colorado for some avalanche research and when I returned last Saturday, I saw that he offered it up again. Looks like it's already been bought.

The whole thing about buying and selling these things is timing. I'm in the wrong place at the wrong time in many cases. I will say, however, that I love my Soloists and I'll keep buying as many as I can afford. If your goal is to sell the one from the topic of this post, Don't let the Kahler force you to take a significantly lower price than you're comfortable with. The Kahler, while not as desired, is more adjustable than a Floyd. If I were you, that's an attribute that I'd be sure to emphasize with potential buyers. Of course, if it's me that bids or makes an offer.....then you should definitely lower your price to significantly less than if it had a Floyd [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Just kidding. Good luck. Toss a pic or two up for our perusal.
                    Tom

Comment

I paid $650 for my '87 Ontario in 1990. It was pretty beat-up at the time- had been used live for three years and the paint showed it. I had it in my college dorm room and it dropped off the stand and onto the tile floor and the neck snapped at the nut. I sent it back to the factory and they fixed the break and refinished the entire guitar in the original color. Looks like new.

[ February 24, 2004, 08:50 PM: Message edited by: Mr. Poon ]

Comment

[img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]

I saw a RHY Soloist hanging way up high at Apple Music in Portland, Oregon a few years ago when I was there visiting my parents. It appeared to be a late '80s guitar. Didn't have the money to buy it at the time, and I don't know if it's still there.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Poon:
                          I paid $650 for my '87 Ontario in 1990. It was pretty beat-up at the time- had been used live for three years and the paint showed it. I had it in my college dorm room and it dropped off the stand and onto the tile floor and the neck snapped at the nut. I sent it back to the factory and they fixed the break and refinished the entire guitar in the original color. Looks like new.

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Wow!!! Sweeet, and a great job. How much did they charge you?
                          The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Niiiiicccee!!! [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]

Comment

The yellow soloist is still at Apple Music. I was surfing the other day and stumbled on their website. They sent me some info and a few pics. It's an '88 Ontario in need of a little TLC. The body and neck look to be in very good shape but the headstock has a nice chip in it. If anyone wants the info or the pics just shoot me an email at [email protected].

John

Comment

Working...
                              X