Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New rhoads.

...Just addin to an earlier post.

I just got a randy rhoads guitar off of ebay. It was USA made in 1991, so its got a little wear on it. I was wondering if replacing any of the parts like the schaler tremolo or locking nut would be advisable, or does it not matter? Any suggestions would be helpful.

Re: New rhoads.

PS.... heres my other baby [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

yes folks...a duncan screamin demon in the neck and a dimarzio super distortion in the bridge [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Sweet Rhoads my friend and your DXMG (i think) looks really sharp.

Comment

SLSMG
        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

what's the name of the colour of the slsmg?
          dont tell me black = .=

Comment

I'd say satin black. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
            http://www.myspace.com/officialuncreation

Comment

Colin, if the hardware works to your satisfaction, why replace it?
              You bought the soul of metal - black Rhoads with EMG's. Good choice [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
              Henrik
              AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

I´d leave the Schaller. The Tone is warmer than an original, and they feel a tad less responsive to me, but tuning wise they´re just as good as the OFR (Properly set up, of course) [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Hey man, I think the Rhoads looks really cool when it's a little "worn in". If the tremolo parts work fine then don't bother it.. Here is my ritual for handling a guitar like that. #1 Tear it down... #2 Clean the guitar and all its parts... #3 Put it back together. (most all guitars will play better after you do the setup) #4 Plug and Go $$$(Like don't worry if it will sound better with the Floyd)
                  P.S. I really like the SLSMG

Comment

My advise to you is to change the baseplate on the Schaller trem. I had a RR Professional before and the (weak) baseplate gave me a lot of trouble. You can find aftermarket reinforged baseplates really cheap.
                    As far as I know, you can't swap the trem to an OFR since the OFR:s baseplate is longer and won't fit the recess made for the Schaller trem. The tremblock is also different in length. Borrow an OFR and compare!

Regards JT

Comment

Put an OFR in there and this will happen:

Result: upward pull is somewhat limited due to the long screws. An OFR Pro will fit i think.

/Henrik
                      Henrik

Comment

Originally posted by Tornet:
                        My advise to you is to change the baseplate on the Schaller trem. I had a RR Professional before and the (weak) baseplate gave me a lot of trouble. You can find aftermarket reinforged baseplates really cheap.
                        As far as I know, you can't swap the trem to an OFR since the OFR:s baseplate is longer and won't fit the recess made for the Schaller trem. The tremblock is also different in length. Borrow an OFR and compare!

Regards JT
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Since when is the Schaller base plate been considered weak? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
                        Scott
                        Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by StukaJU87:
                          Since when is the Schaller base plate been considered weak? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

The old Schaller baseplates has no hardened steel inlays for the saddle-screws. And that type of baseplate, being made of a lower quality, soft metal compound, typically will strip its threadings sooner or later. Yes, it depends how often you tighten and loosen those screws and how hard you do it, but fact is, the OFR is made of superior quality, hardened steel which will take much more abuse.

Here is a pic of a newer Schaller baseplate *with* hardened steel inlays:
                          Henrik

Comment

Crap, you learn something new every day. Thanks Jackson1. I never knew there were 2 versions of the base plate. I also have never stripped one. Guess I am just lucky.
                            Scott
                            Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

No, you're not lucky, just smart. Way too many people overtighen them...

You only need to tighten a saddle snug, not to the point where it strips. A lot of people don't know that and overtighten anyways.
                              The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Working...
                              X