What pickups should go into my SL-1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What pickups should go into my SL-1

Im not liking the stock pickups in my SL-1. The JB is too shrill and thin. I would like something that is close to the output of the JB but compensates for the shrillness that might be attributed to the ebony fingerboard and the Floyd Rose. I play anything from Vintage/Hard Rock to metal.

I have been hearing the Duncan Custom is the way to go here. I havent even thought of what to use for the single coils. Any help would be appreciatied.

Re: What pickups should go into my SL-1

Definitely a Custom for the bridge. As for the singles, that depends entirely on what tones you're going for. If you want sparkling jangly Strat cleans in the neck/middle position (#4), then I'd avoid the Hot Rails in either position.
    However, if you want a glassy distorted Strat tone out of the neck, then the HR is definitely the way to go - plenty of bite and rasp.
    My personal preference for singles is the traditional Strat clean - try some Fender pickups in it for those Iron Maiden solos (Dave Murray) or maybe a DiMarzio Malmsteen pair if you play that kinda stuff.

Newc
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Emg SA/SA/89 with push/pull pot. Very versatile.
      The cleans for the singles and the 85 sound for the bucker will give a good cutting lead tone.
      Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

In my 650XL:

Hot Rails neck
        Cool Rails middle
        Distortion bridge

I think that this combination is incredibly verstile for metal, rock and blues. The Distortion gives the best metal riffing tone available while the Hot Rails has an awesome lead tone. When you want to clean it up or go a bluesy route, the Cool Rails in the middle handles both with ease. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

In my SL-1, I have a Duncan Custom in the bridge and 2 Rio Grande singles....they aren't noise cancelling, but they have the classic strat "honk" and glassy output.

It seems to be a good combination [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Keep the JB and get an EQ.

Matt

Comment

I've got tons of EQ, and it didn't help - the JB just blows [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Newc
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

Is that what JB stands for to you, Newc? "Just Blows"? [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

"Junk Blaster", "Jipped Beef", whatever [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Surprisingly, the JBJr kicks ass - maybe being squashed down to the size of a single coil somehow squeezes out all the shit, but the JB hums I've had all sounded farty and weak.

I should add that I mean the JB sucks in the bridge - I've got one in a neck position and I feel it is far better suited as a neck pickup - especially for a Santana tone [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Newc

Comment

Yup, you've mentioned the JB Jr.'s merits before. Strange... both the single-sized and the full-sized JBs should technically sound the same. I've always wondered about that.

"Jipped Beef"... hahahahaha. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I would agree with the Custom in the bridge. I put one in my SL1 around Christmas time and I love it.

Comment

I like the Custom rio grande combo. What about a Hot Fralin (10.5) and two fralin singles. I am actually thinking about this myself
                        I keep the bible in a pool of blood
                        So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

Ok, I think I have decided on the Custom for the bridge. I was thinking about getting the lil 59s for the middle and neck positions. Does this sound like a good match? Would I get the bridge or neck versions of these? Should I get the bridge version so they will be nice and hot to go with the hot custom?

Comment

i will buy your JB from you. i love those things

Comment

The Li'l 59's are a good match for a Custom. I had two set up with a JB bridge in a Hamer I just sold. I just sold the Li'l 59 neck but if you want a Li'l 59 for the middle position, I've got the Li'l 59 bridge I'm selling for $40 shipped. It is a nice middle pickup that offers some good bluesy overdriven tones when pushed. It also had some pretty good cleans as well as it has the four conductor cables so I could split it.

Comment

Working...
                              X