Guitars you own but dont play...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guitars you own but dont play...

Anyone own guitars that you dont play? What I mean is that, are you worried about the wear and tear that you put on them?

I bought a Custom Diamondplate Kelly from Brett, and this instrument is mint, perfect, plays like "butta"...anyway, its so damn great, I dont play it...

I bought an ESP Stephen Carpenter Signature a few years ago and in just 3 years, I have put some serious wear on the frets...I'm kinda concerned that will happen to the Jackson if I play it too much...

Re: Guitars you own but dont play...

I've got a Ventura classical that used to be my mom's-I don't play it because the headstock is snapped clean off. I've also got a Yamaha classical that I used to play, but I haven't played it since I started changing the tuners but never finished.

Comment

The only reason one should not play his guitars is because there isn't enough time in the day to do it. I have 50 stage ready guitars, almost all are Jackson or Charvel. I play them all. Anyone who says their guitars are too pretty to play is a wussy pretty boy. The coolest guitars are the ones that prove it, they've been played because they sound right and play great. Those so called "collector's items" probably play like crap and sound even worse. Roswell Aluminum Rhoads for example. That's why one wouldn't play them. I own $200 Charvels and $2000 Jacksons and I play them all. We do have a few members who are strictly collectors, they don't play they collect. To each his own, but you would be violating the sacred integrity of all that which is guitar.
      "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
      Gotta get away from here.
      Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
      Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

I'm with Joe on this one. Play 'em all.

And you can always replace the frets man! [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Comment

Anyone who says their guitars are too pretty to play is a wussy pretty boy
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I dont believe that I said they were "too pretty", I said I was concerned about wear and tear.

I do however think that they look evil, and may scare those unacustomed to mean looking badassed pointy guitars.

Anywho, thanks for the responses, I think I may throw caution to the wind and play the Kelly tonight.

Comment

I recently bought a Frampton Les Paul that was dead mint. I REALLY wanted one too. But, I found myself trying to be really careful with it, and it was no fun to play because of that. Sounded great, played even better, but something about it just made me uncomfortable, not wanting to damamge a "collectors item". So, I sold it for a pretty penny, bought a 78 Les Paul custom that's seen it's share of bumps and bruises that I can add to, and made a nice profit to boot. So I'm with the "play 'em and break 'em in" crowd. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by charvel750:
              I own $200 Charvels and $2000 Jacksons and I play them all. We do have a few members who are strictly collectors, they don't play they collect. To each his own, but you would be violating the sacred integrity of all that which is guitar.
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">FU*K YES!!! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

I disagree. If you have something in your collection that is maybe 1 of 1 or 1 of just a few from the history of Jackson, I think you're taking a chance playing it often. Maybe its something you saved or chased for years to acquire...how would you feel when you dropped that one? Ouch!

I've never played about 25 guitars in my collection. They are dead mint / NOS and professionally maintained twice a year so warped necks and ebony cracks are not a concern. I also try to buy two of everything so I can play one and collect one, but that's just me.

Maybe if I had a padded room or something I would play all of them, but to me at least, it's too risky. I have dozens of other less important guitars I can play.

Brett

Comment

To me, it seems like a sin to not play a good guitar. After all, most guitars are built to be musical instruments and not wall hangers, like fine oil paintings or other art objects.

That said, there certainly is a large group of guitar collectors who do nothing but buy, sell and profit from "vintage guitars" but can't play a note or enjoy their guitars as musical instruments. To each their own.
                  Takeoffs are optional but landings are mandatory.

Comment

I play them all. However, I don't bring a few out to jams or anything because they are clean.

Comment

Get playing that thing. It's not a collectors item at all, and it was made to be played. Fretwear is no big deal. You will get some on the first few frets under the G and B strings usually the quickest. You can ignore that usually for a long time, and wear over the rest of the frets will be very gradual. Someday: refret. Only a pain because or binding, but otherwise a mundane proceedure.

It's not like the guitar is thankful you aren't playing it. You are only cheating yourself!!

Comment

If you honestly think you'll never sell the guitar, play the hell out of it. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I have a few limited edition items and I play them all. Ibanez PGM 10th and 90th aniversery guitars and a Marshall JCM800 Zakk head, I play them all. I bought them for my enjoyment and I'm never selling them. I say play.

Jason

Comment

Originally posted by etohk:
                          </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I don't think a Les Paul is a player friendly guitar
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Uh oh! (ducks for cover) </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">LOL Tell that to Zakk Wylde! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I don't think there's a guitar in his collection that's mint. Hell, Ozzy and his crew one time tried to burn one of his LPs because they were sick of him playing country and stuff... then Zakk nailed a bunch of bottle caps to that one! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by etohk:
                            I bought a Custom Diamondplate Kelly from Brett, and this instrument is mint, perfect, plays like "butta"...anyway, its so damn great, I dont play it...
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Might as well play it. It's not like you're gonna scratch the body with that big diamond plate "pickguard" anyway. [img]graemlins/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

There's some guitars in my collection I don't play as much as others. If I don't play one that much and it sits in its case or on a stand collecting dust for an extended period of time, then it's time to sell it.
                            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Damn i wish i could afford rare dead mint guitars.

so far every guitar i got has scratches nicks.

guitars are men't to be played not sit there. [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X