Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Guitars you own but dont play...

I'm with Brett on this one.
    I have my players and My one of's.The rare one's get played but very sparingly,but the ones I have that are players get the miles on them. Theres nothing wrong with being a collector and a player.If you own guitars that will never be made again and are one of 2 made then Your just preserving Jackson history by maintaining there original condition.
    Just my 2 cents!!
    Custom Shop-There is no substitute!

Comment

I'm with Brett and JohnnyMac,

I have some players but I also have some that never leave the house. When I gig it can get out of hand and I don't want to be worring about my guitars. I have had more than one friend that has lost a guitar at a gig.

It might just be me but I like to keep some of my things looking nice. Never know maybe in a few year I'll want to turn my Jackson over and start collecting Gibsons or ESPees [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

yep they are meant to be played, that said i do have 2 guitars that dont see much action. one is a 75 bcrich seagull the other is an 80 mockingbird. the seagull is very rare & is one of the original hook horn models its almost MINT & original the 80 mockingbird is almost MINT & its a rare shorthorn model with some cool options. i dont play them much but i do play them & they do leave the house. i brought the mock to Kevs house to jam. I have other Vintage BCRichs that i play but those 2 are NEAR mint & much RARER than the others.

I also dont play an 86 SD soloist its DEAD mint almost NOS, i put the 1 of 3 tiny clear coat scratches in it & vowed not to do that agian. I bought it for my son when he was born, he will be 2 in JULY. i will give it to him when hes old enough. tho i dont consider it MY guitar i do own it now.

i also own a newer wayne that ive played the crap out of & already put some chips in it so, i play rough & usually dont care what happens when im playing which is why i dont play the special ones that much

Comment

I play every guitar I own. I suppose if I had some ultra-rare guitar that was owned by Pete Townsend or Jimi Hendrix, then I would rarely play it, but other than that, they're all fair game.
          Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

I've played everyone of my axes...but there are a bunch that rarely see much action, but there are specific reasons why. I'm not afraid to play any of them to scratch them or anything because I'm very careful with them, but ones like the doubleneck, Roswell, and autographed ones aren't very practical to jam on much. Plus it becomes a pain in the ass to dig out a particular guitar case when there are 14 cases in front of a particular one...and I don't have the room to keep all the guitars out.

- Joel
            RIP Donny Swanstrom...JCF bro
            RIP Dime

Comment

I owned some guitars that I never really played, and forsaking collector value, sold them to people who would play them. I do have one that I do not play much:

All of my Jacksons are custom shop models, and my "rarest and most collectible" guitar was dead mint when I bought it, and I've put it to good use. That's my black Strathead Jackson, and it's such a sweet player it was my #1. Granted it's not a SD Strathead or anything, but still, it was dead mint unplayed condition, now it's just a solid 9.5. There is a little nick on the headstock, some pickswirl, and some fretwear now... it's even got 11's and is tuned to C#. haha. You can hate me now. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

[ April 28, 2004, 01:41 PM: Message edited by: xenophobe ]
              The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

My "Most Valuable Guitar" is my everyday player, my CS Soloist 7.

I used to have a bunch of guitars. I have five electrics and two acoustics now, and the '85 Kramer Pacer may go soon, simply because it hasn't been out of it's case in a year.

They're a tool, to me - they need to be used to make music.

Oh, and Xeno, that Strathead rocks!

Mike
                Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

Since I'm just getting back into playing, I don't have a collection. But when I bought my son his first guitar a little over a year ago, I stressed to him the importance of taking care of it, even though it wasn't an expensive model. He has made me proud cuz it still looks almost new. Now that I'm getting him (and me [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] ) his first Jackson, I really stressed the importance of taking care of it. He then told me how he would baby it and take good care of it. I told him that wouldn't be any fun and to just care for it like his first one, but most of all I told him to play the ever-livin'-shit out of it!! Why did I tell him this, you may ask? I refer you to Chopper's imortal words:
                  Originally posted by chopper45hd:
                  ....cause i am a collector of good times and great memories which is worth alot more to me than any minty guitar anyone has. play that guitar and enjoy it......
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Very well said, my friend!!! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                  My future band shall be known as "One Samich Short Of A Picnic"!

Comment

I do not need any guitars that I don't play.

Comment

Originally posted by etohk:
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">[img]graemlins/baby.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/baby.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/baby.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]

Give it to me if you don't play it [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

I have a few guitars that i consider that i'm to scared to play. I will always at least pull them out once a year to play but that's about it. I have 2 guitars that I have only ever pulled out of the case twice at the most... too chicken.

They guitars that i have put away are: Prototype Rhoads #3, JCF-01-02, JCF-02-10 (when it comes in), PCS-0002 (10-string spitz), J0076, PCS-0143, RR-0173...the rest of my guitars i play all of the time.

Diego

Comment

I play then all. I don't gig though, so that isn't an issue. I can understand the collector mentality, but for me, if I owned something cool, I would HAVE to play it...at least occasionally.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael:

Oh, and Xeno, that Strathead rocks!
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Thanks! I was after that one for over a year... haha I never thought I would get her, and then one day I did, and when it arrived, I was in heaven.

As for collectibility, it may never hit SD Charvel strahead desirability, but It's far more rare. She's just a sweet player and I'm never parting with her anyways... that's why I haven't minded playing her so much. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
                            The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Maybe you should just sell that Kelly to me. That way you won't have to worry about it. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Seventh Avenged,
                                they made the the maple pauls from 76-79
                                they made the black customs and all natural customs with maple fretboards
                                back in the eighties stores could not give these guitars away
                                one of the local stores was selling them 10% below cost just to get rid of them

xenophobe
                                Great Strat!!!! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                                X