Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has Fender helped or hurt the Jackson name??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Has Fender helped or hurt the Jackson name??

I would have to say that they are helping.

Yes...they are not doing well with Artist Relations, but in the overall scheme, they have not had Jackson that long. As much as we older guys love Mustaine, Ian, and all those guys, the younger crowd has no Idea who they are.

They need to get the new generation of metal/heavy rock guys behind Jackson. Ex-Dimmu Borgir is Gaining popularity(they are on Ozzfest this year), it would be time to snap them up so they can say they are endoresed in the US.
    Many other bands are in this state, and it would be good to get them before ESP or Ibenhad.

Quality seems to have improved a bit, and they are actually hanging in stores now. The local place here is a snobby PRS-Fender-Gibson type store..then I went in recnetly, and there are some Jacksons on the wall!
    I talked to the guys behind the counter, and they were praising Jackson. One admittied that he thought there were just "Shred Guitars", but after playing ones in the store, he had no idea why anyone would want a LTD or Ibeenhad when you can get a better guitar for the money with a import Jackson.
    He had not played a USA yet, but he wanted me to bring my KE2 in so he could play..as did the store owner.

combine that with the shorter CS turnaround, Mike Shannon and QC going up..

It's time for Jackson DOMINATION of heavy music!

Comment

Originally posted by diospada:
      Sam Ash never carried Jackson guitars, but now they're showing up in Sam Ash stores, if this is caused by the Fender buyout, then I say its for the better.

cheers
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The Sam Ash here in Paramus, NJ used to carry Jackson back a few years ago, then they stopped. I haven't been in to see if they have any new ones lately.
      Scott
      Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

about 4 years ago all the sam ashes i visited in NJ carried jackson

then they stopped

now they carry them again

Comment

Artist relations aside, does anyone know how the quality on the new Jacksons are??? The reason I ask is, I bought a 2002 RR-1T ( limited edition) that I love so much that I picked up an '89 RR-1. I like the neck shape on the new one better and want to order another one, but I am worried about the build quality on the new ones. ANYONE KNOW?

Comment

What exactly are you worried about regarding the build quality these days???? There's absolutely nothing to worry about...I think QC has increased since the buyout...

- Joel
            RIP Donny Swanstrom...JCF bro
            RIP Dime

Comment

when exactly did fender take over?

Comment

A. Pulerizer, that "snobby" shop in St Paul that has no problem talking trash about "shred" guitars also has no problem whatsoever singing the praises of the 25th Anniv. they are selling on their website. Their disdain for imported guitars is not too subtle - I worked there for a while and the staff was always fond of hammering anything with a floyd, although that allowed me to scoop up some great deals on stuff that was "beneath" them. I remember when they were selling just the CS Fender stuff and were basically forced to carry the lower end stuff as well, and no one was real happy about that. I figure that being gobbled up by a big corporation has both good and bad consequences, but we shall see how it plays out over time.

Z

Comment

Looks to me like things are going in the right direction.

As far as artist relations go, FMIC may have made a conscious decision to not go the distance to retain guys like Mustaine or Scott Ian--older artists whose biggest commercial days are long behind them.

Do I agree with that decision? From the FMIC perspective, I think it makes sense, as long as they are attempting to cultivate younger artists at the same time. From my own perspective, it just means I'm getting old, but I pretty much knew that already! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] The market for heavy-music oriented guitars probably isn't based around a bunch of 40+ year old guys, sorry to say.

If Jackson isn't to become entirely a nostalgia brand based around the dual nostalgias of hair-bands (Charvel) and late '80s thrash bands (Jackson), then FMIC would do well to try and reestablish the brand through identification with newer acts.

Funny, that thought doesn't bother me as much as it did a little while back. I've started a new job that takes up most of my time. Yeah, I've now got more cash to play with (in a few months, it's going to be 'Hello, Custom Shop!'), but I have so little time to pay attention to all the music scene stuff that I used to. I frankly don't give a shit anymore whether 'so and so' plays Jacksons or Daisy Rocks--I've barely got enough time to keep my own chops from going south. I'm sure there are a lot of guys in my age range like that. FMIC can't bank on guys like me for future growth--unless they want to turn the company into the sad spectacle that has become Gibson--nothing but a series of gaudy 'reissue' Les Pauls to appeal to guys with more cash than new musical ideas...

Comment

Argh Joel! Your avatar is hypnotic, it's trying to take over my mind and turn me into a drooling idi...oh nevermind...too late. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Sam Ash was definately selling Charvel/Jackson guitars back in the 80's.

I don't know what to think of the takeover. I love Fender, but am not too hip to FMIC and HATE the Fender Sales division.

Comment

A friend of mine who's a Fender dealer indicated that Fender is helping Jackson improve their tooling and injecting capital for other improvements, so on a technical level, it should be quite good. I think the PR clout of the Fender machine should also benefit Jackson.

Now if Fender would just wise up and let Jackson build strat head guitars again... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
                        Takeoffs are optional but landings are mandatory.

Comment

As long as the quality remains high, and the custom shop options don't disappear I think the takeover will do the brand good from a mass-marketing standpoint.
                          I loves me some Jacksons!
                          [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                          X