Soloist and articulation - general Soloist Q

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soloist and articulation - general Soloist Q

Hey guys, this is probably the place to ask my question. Anyway, here goes.

I have a Soloist SL-1, loaded with a JB in the bridge, the "stock" Classic Stack at the middle, and Hot Rails neck. I play through a Line 6 Flextone IIXL, usually with a Tube Screamer out front. I have two other axes, a Japanese Dinky w/Screamin Demon/Jazz, and an LP w/Distortion/Jazz.

The other night whilst practicing pulloffs I got to noticing that the Soloist sounds a bit "spongy" in the lower register - i.e. lack of articulation with the E, A and D strings. The other two axes don't seem to have this going on. So, I got to wondering if it's the axe, or the JB (as I have read that it can sometimes be loose in the bottom). I find it difficult to imagine that it is the axe, as I've never heard of this happening with a Soloist, and I was wondering if any of you have had this experience, and what you did about it. I'm guessing it's the JB, which I would probably swap out for a Distortion. The Hot Rails is an 80's vintage, and it's a tad spongy as well. Pots are all stock 250k's.

Or, is there a possibility that I have a misfit Soloist?

Thanks,

-Matt

Re: Soloist and articulation - general Soloist Q

The pots should be a 500k.
    Go to rsguitarworks.net and order a pot kit you wont be disappointed.Tell them what you have and they will fix you up.Try one on your L.P. too.
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

If you've got an older Soloist with the JE1000 circuit board in it, that's a 50K pot, not 250K.
      If it doesn't have the active board in it, then it should have a 500K Volume pot.

And the sponginess is probably from the JB. It's the same pickup as a Duncan Distortion but has a tad more bass due to having an Alnico rather than Ceramic magnet.
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

It's the JB. I have a couple of Jacksons with the JB in the bridge, and the low end is never as tight as with other pickups. I consider the Full Shred to have all the good qualities of the JB, with better bass response. That's what I'm using in the bridge of my Soloist.
        sigpic

Comment

I've got a Distortion sitting around, and I'll check into the 500k pot switch.

So, do you figure I should probably not worry too much that there's some bum wood in this?

Thanks guys.

Comment

No bad wood. It's the pickup. JBs are okay, but a Super Distortion or a EMG 85 or 81 will tighten up the low end quite a bit.
            The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

I love the JB in most guitars, but the Soloist is one of them. It is just too thick and heavy compared to a RR or Kelly. I've got a Duncan Distortion in mine, and it absolutely smokes.

Comment

A JB should sound better in a guitar with a 250k pot than 500k pot. With 500k, it will be too bright in the treble and high mids. I'd go with either a Duncan Custom or DiMarzio Super Distortion.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  No bad wood. It's the pickup. JBs are okay, but a Super Distortion or a EMG 85 or 81 will tighten up the low end quite a bit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Would a set of EMGs require additional routing to install the battery?

-Matt

Comment

No sir. The control cavity on the SL1 is HUGE and offers plenty of room to store even TWO 9V batteries if you decide you want to go with the two-battery (wired in series or in parallel depending on what you want) method.

Comment

In addition to the JB if you're playing using the Hot Rails that'll be a culprit as well. I've got one in a solid flame maple body and it should be bright as heck but it's anything but. Really flabby and inarticulate on the bottom end, not tight sounding at all.
                      Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

Just to stir the pot, a JB Jr. sounds amazing in the neck of a S/S/H Soloist. Plenty of hot-rodded Les Paul neck pickup goodness.

Comment

What year is the guitar? Is the body poplar or alder?

-Mark

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            Just to stir the pot, a JB Jr. sounds amazing in the neck of a S/S/H Soloist. Plenty of hot-rodded Les Paul neck pickup goodness.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like the sound of that, Noodles. The Jazz in my LP sounds fantastic, I want that plus a little more in my HSS soloist.

[ QUOTE ]
                            What year is the guitar? Is the body poplar or alder?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not exact on the year, but I purchased it new in 2002. I'm quite sure it's Alder.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              In addition to the JB if you're playing using the Hot Rails that'll be a culprit as well. I've got one in a solid flame maple body and it should be bright as heck but it's anything but. Really flabby and inarticulate on the bottom end, not tight sounding at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup!

Comment

Working...
                              X