X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DK-1

Got this off e-bay last week

And one for LRGman

I emailed the guy and asked if there were any problems with the neck at all. He said "the neck is straight as an arrow, no problems at all".

I had to put almost 3 whole turns on the truss to get the neck straight it was so outta wack. Now he wants his "positive feedback". So I'm up for suggestions for his "positive feedback".

The guitar plays like a dream now by the way.

Re: DK-1

It's too bad it was misadvertised RE: the neck, but that is one fine looking Trans Black! Some of them look so brown, but yours doesn't appear to have any brown tint to it at all! Nice one! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Nice looking. I would say there is nothing wrong with the neck and no negative feedback is warranted. Twist completely different from relief.

If the neck is badly twisted side to side (a little is normal), no amount of truss rod tweeking is going to help. However, bow in the the neck is normal, and is adjusted by the truss rod. In fact, it is preferable to ship guitars with the strings slacked and the truss rod loosened a turn or so.
      -------------------------
      Blank yo!

Comment

how can it play like a dream if it's whack? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

i'm ignorant and know nothing about the trussrod stuff.

Comment

Well, it plays good now becuase I had to set it up properly. But when the guitar came in, and I seen the way the neck was I was scared shitless that there might be a warp. Thank god there was not. The problem I have is the conversation I had with the seller was that this guitar was "perfect no problems", this was not the case. He should have told me that setup was needed. I think they thought they had gotten rid of a "problem" guitar.
          I mean c'mon the strings were almost an inch away from the fretboard. Anyone could see this. Anyway I'm happy about the guitar. But I think the seller tried to punk me. I was very specific with the seller in my emails. I dont think he was being honest.

Comment

Originally posted by VanOsbourne:
            He should have told me that setup was needed.
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You ship a guitar anywhere and a setup is needed. Hell, you change strings and you should readjust the setup. Guitars are organic - they constantly change.
            Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by VanOsbourne:
              Well, it plays good now becuase I had to set it up properly. But when the guitar came in, and I seen the way the neck was I was scared shitless that there might be a warp. Thank god there was not. The problem I have is the conversation I had with the seller was that this guitar was "perfect no problems", this was not the case. He should have told me that setup was needed. I think they thought they had gotten rid of a "problem" guitar.
              I mean c'mon the strings were almost an inch away from the fretboard. Anyone could see this. Anyway I'm happy about the guitar. But I think the seller tried to punk me. I was very specific with the seller in my emails. I dont think he was being honest.
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Not to be a dick, but I think you are wrong. Pretty much every guitar you ever buy, especially from across the country will be needing a setup. I would not be pissed if a guitar came to me and there was fret buzz or it needed some tweaking. I expect that. It is normal. Climate affects the guitar, period.

You say the guitar plays like a dream, then I see no problem. For all you know, the guitar could have been amazingly set up, before being shipped.

Comment

Exactly. every guitar I have ever bought and had shipped needed a set up. Not a big deal to me at all. In fact it is a nice way for me to get personal with it right off the bat. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Noice!!! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

You don't see too many of the newer DK1s in the trans-tops.

Comment

*sigh* I would have set this guitar up no matter what condition it came in. I am trying not to whine here. I love the guitar. I think I got a pretty good deal on it. I am thrilled I bought it. would do it again. I LOVE THE GUITAR.

The fact is the guy did not tell the truth about it thats all i'm saying. He outright lied to me. That concerns me if I had to buisness with him again. Might not be so lucky next time. So.. I should give him positive feedback for lying? No matter how good the deal turned out for me, I think thats a bad idea. He still lied. He's got an EVH for sale too. Maybe one of our members wanna buy it, get it and its fucked, look and see my positive feedback. This place is a music store in Wisconsin called Brass Bell Music. I live in Wisconsin about 6 hours north of this store. It took a day to get here UPS. I dont think they cranked the neck out for that. Would you not expect a music store to understand the difference between a guitar that plays well and one that has strings you could dry clothes on. I'm not saying it didnt work out. I fucking love the guitar. I've lost sleep I've been playing it so much. Did I mention I love the guitar? [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

With all due respect guys, three whole turns of a truss rod is not a normal "reset" due to shipping. That guitar must've been quite out of whack.

She looks killer, though. I've got one in Raspberry Burst. And as long it all worked out OK.

DK1s are like Jackson's "dirty little secret". Lots of folks overlook them for Soloists. (...Which, of course, are great too.) But the neck profile on DK1s just RULES. Very thin and wide - much like a San Dimas Charvel. Honestly, I think if Jackson used the same neck dimensions on the new USA Charvel Standards, everyone would love 'em and assume its the same as a SD. Heck, for all I know, it IS pretty much the same. Feels very similar to my Bullseye Reissue, after all.

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon:
                        With all due respect guys, three whole turns of a truss rod is not a normal "reset" due to shipping.
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The shop said the guitar neck was "straight as an arrow" right? In general when you say a neck is straight, you are not talking about relief, you are talking about twist. If a neck is twisted, the neck is done - no truss rod adjustment will ever fix it. Get out you clamps and steamer because you have to twist it back.

Relief, i.e. bow in the neck, is a result of setup. This is what the truss rod adjusts. Some people like relief, some people like dead flat and some people like back bow. None of those positions of relief make a guitar dead. This is a setup.

If the seller said he would set the guitar up with x amount of relief and guarenteed it would arrive in that condition, and it did not, then you might have reason for negative feedback. He sold you a playable guitar. You got a playable guitar.
                        Blank yo!

Comment

Shredder I would love to see some pics of the rasberry burst. I was thinking of gettin another one in that color. But... I promised my wife if I spent the money to get these usa models (got a usa sls on the way from kevin) that I would sell the rest of my guitars. They are a couple of pro jackson dinkys. I already sold a few other Ibanez's to buy my DK-1. But what my wife doesnt know yet is that if you put a couple of usa models together in a dark room... they will mate and have offspring in a few months. Heh heh [img]graemlins/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

[ May 03, 2004, 08:53 PM: Message edited by: VanOsbourne ]

Comment

True, who knows what kind of action this guy likes, he might like it that high and to him it's perfect. Tracy plays his Charvels with what others consider very high action but it's how he sets them all up for himself.

I've had 4 guitars shipped from the US to Australia and they were all fine when they arrived. The Bullseye Reissue was the last and I was jammin' that baby straight outta the box, until I changed the strings to 10's. A quick tweak of the rod and all was good again.

Comment

If the seller said he would set the guitar up with x amount of relief and guarenteed it would arrive in that condition, and it did not, then you might have reason for negative feedback. He sold you a playable guitar. You got a playable guitar.
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Did You sell me this guitar or what?

The only people who could have played this guitar would have been a lap steel player.

Trust me he was NOT TRUTHFULL.

Comment

Working...
                              X