Ontario Jackson Maple Board/Sharkies Photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ontario Jackson Maple Board/Sharkies Photos

Okay, guys, I posted about stumbling across this yesterday. Seeing as it might be kinda rare, I went and picked it up today. Here are some photos -- anybody wanna tell me what I got?

First of all, serial number. Funny thing, that. The Ontario neck plate says 7342, which according to the research page puts it as a 1990 Jackson Custom Shop bolt on. However, all the stamps -- in the trem cavity, neck pocket, and on the neck heel -- say 7243. Which would put it at anywhere from 87-89 (if I'm reading the chart correctly). Kinda interesting...did somebody with a little dyslexia assemble this one?

Second, neck: It's definitely a maple board with sharkfins. Black dots on the side, sharkies at the standard positions. The headstock looks like it might have had the lower point chipped off at one point -- it's definitely thinner/shorter than most Jackson heads. Also, the back of the neck clearly has varnish or something on it. The entire back of the neck and fingerboard are satiny smooth -- no sealer as I can tell.

Condition: This baby has been rocked hard and put away wet. The headstock chip I mentioned, dings all over the body, etc.

Stamps: There are stamps in the trem cavity, neck pocket, and on the neck. Handwritten in each, from what I can make out:

Neck: "7243" and next to finish "OBD." (I think)

Pocket: 7243 and the initials VSW or V5W.

Trem Cavity: Serial No 7243; SW (or 5W), and the handwritten note: "Deeper Cuttaway" (actual spelling)

Control cavity: There's a gold shielding on the bottom, with the initials "JS" (or TS, you be the judge)

The Original Floyd Rose looks to be in pretty good condition; some of the chrome is chipping on the lower side. The Seymour Duncan at the bridge looks to be pretty new.

My shredder buddy came into my office and put it through some paces. His analysis: "Wow."

Okay...anybody know anything?

Re: Ontario Jackson Maple Board/Sharkies Photos

Wow!

MoP sharkies on maple.... [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]

Comment

I will see your "wow" and raise you!! The headstock looks like it had an issue and was reshaped at one time but damn.. it looks all good to me. The numbers, stamps, initials etc... everything. Custom ordered for sure. That is the 1st maple sharky I have ever seen. and on a Dinky??? wow. [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Definitely a strange one. I, too, have never seen sharkfins on a maple board. And that custom deep cutaway looks really wild. Cool snag, Tom.
        Dana <~~~
        '85 Rhoads Custom
        '86 SD Str*t
        '86 Model 4 (5)
        '87 Model 1
        '87 Model 6
        '88 Model 3DR
        '90 650 XL
        '94 KE-3
        '97 DR Amberburst
        '97 Dinky BOFlames
        '05 SD Copperhead

Comment

Here's a wider shot of the body, so you can get a look at that cutaway.

Does it look like the cutaway is actually deeper?
          By the way, the color is kind of a dark gray/charcoal with silver sparkle flecks. Not an insane, big sparkle -- just sort of muted in the finish.

Comment

That cutaway definitely looks extra deep to me.
            Dana <~~~
            '85 Rhoads Custom
            '86 SD Str*t
            '86 Model 4 (5)
            '87 Model 1
            '87 Model 6
            '88 Model 3DR
            '90 650 XL
            '94 KE-3
            '97 DR Amberburst
            '97 Dinky BOFlames
            '05 SD Copperhead

Comment

The h-s layout is a dead giveaway that it's a Custom because the only production model at the time with that config was the original Phil Collen.

And yes, it looks like they just got the plate numbers backwards.

I've seen mop fins on maple before (catalog Capt America vs Nick Fury?).

Newc
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Floyd looks like a replacement due to the screw-on arm, instead of the old style. I have never seen a Jackson body of that era with such large cutaways. Does anyone own a body like that? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by mulder1966:
                  Floyd looks like a replacement due to the screw-on arm, instead of the old style.
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The Floyd looks to me like it might have replaced a JT590/Schaller that had the shorter locking pins, because the pins on that Floyd seem to go past the route and over the body.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

scoooooooooooore!!!

That is very cool. congrats!
                    Hail yesterday

Comment

Yeah a USA Jackson of that time would have come with the JT590 Schaller Floyd and someone has bodged an OFR on there. The cutaway is a bit weird looking but hey, they may have ordered it that way. See if you can find out if the paint is original.

Comment

Originally posted by Genebaby:
                        The cutaway is a bit weird looking but hey, they may have ordered it that way.
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">"Trem Cavity: Serial No 7243; SW (or 5W), and the handwritten note: "Deeper Cuttaway" (actual spelling)"

It appears that they did! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                        Hail yesterday

Comment

Good eyes Gary, with the kind of paint it is it seemed it would be original, and it is!!

Comment

Does anybody have a clue what any of the handwritten things mean, particularly "OBD" on the heel of the neck?

And is there anyone within the Jackson/Fender organization who responds to inquiries about stuff like this? Do they have logs of all the custom shop orders from back then?

Comment

kick ass guitar. it reminds me of my last ESP MII deluxe...very bad ass that it's a Jackson. cool score. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                              GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X