How long for a custom quote?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long for a custom quote?

How long is the typical wait for a custom quote? I'm going on a month here pretty soon. I emailed Jason at DCGL with the online quote like he requested on the 23rd of last month and he said he'd get back to me on his price. A week later I called and he said he's on it, but it takes a while for Jackson to sort through all their quote requests and get back to him... how long is a while though? We're told to expect a long wait time on the build, and that's acceptable obviously since I'm plunking down the money for a custom, but man, I wasn't warned about a wait time just to place the order, lol...

Andy Oliphant
    The Thirteenth Hour

Re: How long for a custom quote?

When I placed my custom order May 17 2002, I sent my order sheet (12 pages) with specs and diagrams directlly to the distributor here in Switzerland and bypasssed my local dealer. My local dealer only had to confirm my order. The distributor forwarded my order to Jackson/Charvel, and June 12 2002 Tim Wilson contacted me the first time to verify specs and clear open questions. One day later, my distributor sent me the quote. One week later, the distributor forwarded the confirmed work order sheet he received from Jackson the same day.

The guitar was completed June 19 2003, and arrived August 22 2003.

Comment

Originally posted by Toby:
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">What happened in between those dates ?
      Not exactly express shipping.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob From Accounting:
        </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Toby:
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">What happened in between those dates ?
        Not exactly express shipping.
        </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The guitar has been shipped to the fender warehouse in Corona june 26, where she arrived one day later. I asked my representative for C/J custom orders at Fender Europe about the overseas delivery, but he couldn't track the guitar because of FMIC was chnaging the software then and my guitar was not in the database. The guitar seems to be arrived in the office of the Fender Europe rep while he was at the Fender HQ in USA. The delivery was delayed because of the Fender legal dept must clear the delivery because of the Strathead. After that it was a quick delivery.

Comment

Originally posted by metallibanger:
          How long is the typical wait for a custom quote? I'm going on a month here pretty soon. ...I wasn't warned about a wait time just to place the order, lol...
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">[img]graemlins/brow.gif[/img] Hmmmm. I'm having a similar experience.

[img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

Well, I cant speak for DCGL or other dealers.

I only know what I can do as a dealer...

It usually takes about 1-5 days to get the quote form ready for signature faxed back to me from Mike at the Custom Shop.

I do know that all of FMIC are very busy right now preparing for summer NAMM and the entire PC and web system at FMIC has gone thru a complete redo...
            This may have something to do with it...

Comment

I placed an order for a simple Charvel Strat with one humbucker, Floyd,simple Zebra graphic and a Charvel logo in December of 2002 with Guitar Asylum ....(Who are great guys!) I am still waiting a year and a half later. I guess I picked a bad time to order with the Fender transition.

Comment

Originally posted by vwall guitars:
                I do know that all of FMIC are very busy right now preparing for summer NAMM
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hate to be a nag, but am I the only one tired of hearing that? It seems like the "busy for NAMM" is heard more months out of a year than is actually the case! [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
                "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

When I bought my last Custom Shop Jackson, I sent the specs to Lee @ GMW and to Jason at DCGL. I never heard back from Drumcity, so GMW got my business. I really only sent the specs to DC to get a 2nd opinion on the price, I had planned on going with GMW from the start, as should you. Still, pretty bad business, to never respond at all. They lost a huge sale. I even spoke with Jason on the phone, and faxed him my spec sheet! Anyway, to get yourself a rough quote, use Jacksons Custom Shop calculator and then multiply by .60, and that will get you a ballpark figure. Shop around, there are dealers out there who use the 40% off of list price as your cost.

Comment

The custom quote form said I had a "non-standard quote" and to call for a price. I'm not really waiting on the quote anyway, it's just the first step I have to go through to order the damn thing. I have the money ready to go regardless of what the price is (reasonably speaking), but I have to jump through the hoop of getting a quote before I can get this put on order and have them start building it.

I just really not sure if I'm waiting on Jackson or DCGL. I'm going to give them another call on the 23rd, which will be exactly a month, and if I don't get some action I'll think about other options. I just view it as "come on people, I'm trying to give you money, let me!"

Andy Oliphant
                    The Thirteenth Hour

Comment

Well, sorry to hear your troubles..
                      I guess its time to be an ass now for those that dont get it!

While I would LOVE your biz for Vwall Guitars.com being a JCF Jackson dealer and all...

To be honest with you...
                      The time you are waiting is not necc Kosher!
                      While I would love for you to order from me...
                      All of the JCF Legitmate forum dealers could have helped you out in a more timely manner.

Just ask us:
                      Vwall Guitars
                      or
                      Matts Music
                      Or
                      Eastons

Thanks!!

Jackson USA Guitar Dealer Ibanez/Fender Parts & Accessories.
                      Eventide Harmonizers & More!!

[ May 19, 2004, 03:01 AM: Message edited by: vwall guitars ]

Comment

I hear that VWall fella only deals in USA Jacksons....what a SNOB! [img]graemlins/fart.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                        Well, maybe he'd have more time to devote to it rather than dealing with all those cheap imports laying around! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

LMAO!!!!!!!

ok... well maybe half of it [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

ya know, Ron.. Im still contemplating carrying the import line but with Music 123 and a couple other places.. I still havent Justified why I should...
                          Though its always on the backburner...

Besides, Jackson USA And CS world dominion dealerships are ALWAYS on my mind... Muhahahahah!!

[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Well at least score a fellow Dutchman a DXMG or a JS30WR at cost! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

(the JS30WR that I won on eBay was not as described....Ken sent it back in anger [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] )

Comment

To clarify: I am having a similar experience at a different dealer.

It may not be fair to necessarily assume that this delay is the dealer's fault. ...Or at least, not entirely so.

Comment

Working...
                              X