Question about headstock logos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about headstock logos

My main question involves the "Made in U.S.A." portion of the logo. One of my Jacksons has a strat headstock and has the "Made in U.S.A." portion of the logo under "n". It also has a "TM" that is almost completely hidden by the grommet around the 2nd string tuner.

However, I have another bolt-on with a black-painted headstock and the Jackson logo has neither the "Made in U.S.A" or a "TM" or "R". That neck is marked "OBD" on the heel's rubber stamp. I understand that OBD means "Oil finish, Black-painted headstock, Decal". And I also understand from searching the archives here and at the Jackson Museum that the logo decals were apparently often cut apart, hence the "Made in U.S.A." might appear in different spots on the headstock. However, I was wondering how common or uncommon it is for USA-made Jacksons not to have the "Made in U.S.A." on the headstock.

Any help or info you guys can offer is appreciated. So far, this forum has been really fun and informative, so thank you for that, too. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Takeoffs are optional but landings are mandatory.

Re: Question about headstock logos

That is a very good question. It is kinda like my 1993 Jackson USA Archtop Soloist Custom shop guitar, it doesn`t say Custom Shop on the Headstock, yet some do, especially these days, but I am not sure about 1993? Jack.

Comment

Jackson switched back and forth between putting the Custom Shop logo on and not, and now are at a point where it has to be specified on the order form if you want it.

And it's not very common (as in hundreds) to not have the Made In USA, TM, or R. It happened from time to time, but from what I understand there's less than 100 like that (so far).

Waterslide decals like that are pissy - one mistake and it's toast.

Newc
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Thanks for the info, Newc. I really appreciate the feedback.
        Takeoffs are optional but landings are mandatory.

Comment

I can see if it were a TM instead of the Registered, it would be right under the tuner nut washer...

The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Here is a '89 Dinky 24 neck I had missing both appointments. It was a silkscreened logo.

Comment

Yes, I forgot to mention, the strathead above is a waterslide, the other (pictured below) is an 89 and silkscreened.

Comment

Here's the logo on my JJP. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I'm glad this discussion is taking place ... I actually had a question about headstock logos:

Did Jackson ever print the "Professional" logo on the headstock of USA made instruments?

I ask because the local Guitar Center has a used guitar touted as being a USA Fusion -- It's got an ebony board, pearl sharkfins, and pearl logo on the headstock ... but on the headstock next to the pearl logo is the "Professional" moniker that, to my knowledge, was used for Japanese imports.

I didn't check the serial number -- the guitar was hanging high, but that's easy enough to check if anyone else finds this curious.

--jr
                  「久しぶりに絶望してえよ。マジで。」

Comment

I'd like to know that one myself. As far as I knew, professional's were all imports. How much were they asking for it?
                    "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Comment

Anything that says Professional is indeed Japanese. BTW, most GC employees are idiots.

Comment

Yeah, the old Pro series were just as good as the USA models, and a lot of people were buying them and they wound up cutting into USA sales, so Jackson decided to cut back and not make the imports as nice, did away with the ebony and other appointments.

Comment

Yes, those early professionals are very sweet, though $599 is a bit steep. If it is priced at 599, you can probably talk them to 400 out the door. That would be high, but fair.

Comment

sambencuda: They wanted $599 for it.

toejam: That's what I figured. The ebony board, pearl sharkfins, and pearl logo really threw me though.

--jr
                            「久しぶりに絶望してえよ。マジで。」

Comment

Working...
                            X