Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help with ID and price check on S.D.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with ID and price check on S.D.

A friend told me about a Jackson at a local guitar store. It's a bolt on, San Dimas plate w/serial number 4460 and "Made in USA" on headstock. It's a single hum with a non-recessed floyd. The store has it tagged as "San Dimas Dinky."

I'm going to check it out after work tomorrow but wanted a little help/suggestions on what to look for to confirm if it's legit. With this serial number, is this an 1985 model?

Also, what's a good price range for something like this? It's suppose to be in great shape, but we'll see. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks-

Re: Need help with ID and price check on S.D.

A bolt-on with a serial number of 1506-7303 puts it in the '87-89 range and it would have been built in the Ontario facility. A good amount of plates were made up with "San Dimas" on them before the move so that's why some of the guitars have that address on them even though they were produced in Ontario.

You'd probably be wise to look at some of the pictures on this site and others on the web to start to get a feel for correct features. Sometimes the trem and control cavity routes can be a tip-off to an incorrect body. Often, though not always, you'll find production info stamped and inked on the inside of the trem route. Also, if you can remove the neck, might find production info on the heel of the neck, too. If you can get the production info, you might get some feedback here on the potential legitimacy.

And if you could somehow get some pics and post them, that would probably be pretty helpful, too.
    Takeoffs are optional but landings are mandatory.

Comment

Well it's pretty expensive to fake guitars that generally sell for under $600 in minty condition. I'd say if it's a one hum, solid color in minty condition (non-recessed floyd WITH floyd nut will knock the price up a little)... non recessed would be correct for 87-89 though.

If you like it, go for it. I wouldn't spend more than 700 on one right now unless it had ebony, sharks and a floyd nut. (which I happen to be buying now... hehe [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] )

Anyways... play it, if you like it, go for it... there is no real way to flip these for a quick buck unless you can pick them up for under $400 (which is rare)... so buy it if it suits you.
      The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

If the store has it tagged as a "San Dimas Dinky", then they probably have a whopper of a price tag on it.
        No more than $700 regardless of the hardware, but certainly less with the Kahler lock and JT6 crap.

Comment

Originally posted by xenophobe:
          Well it's pretty expensive to fake guitars that generally sell for under $600 in minty condition.
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">When I got my first Jackson, Guitar Center sold me a guitar that had a USA neck with a pearl logo, an Ontario plate and the body was a Charvel 375 Deluxe. I didn't discover the body "problem" until I got the guitar home and pulled the neck. Fortunately, I ended up getting a better Jackson for no additional charge. I was just trying to pass along a little advice from my experience that I hoped would help him avoid a similar situation.
          Takeoffs are optional but landings are mandatory.

Comment

Hey John, yeah, that is something you might want to consider, but that's really uncommon. I don't see too many USA necks on import bodies, though with San Dimas plated guitars, it's pretty easy to tell if the body is correct. Metal covers, comfort bevel, etc...
            The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Working...
            X