another "what is it?" from a newbie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• another "what is it?" from a newbie

Well, you guys did such a great job cluing me to what I had the first time I asked I thought I'd try again with my latest purchase. I bought a Jackson on Evilbay this week and think it is a JJ but am not sure which one. Here are the specs: Double cutaway Mahogany body(flat top), bolt-on 22 fret Maple w/Rosewood neck (dot inlay), Surfcaster looking headstock with 3 on a side tuners, Made in USA under the Jackson logo on the headstock, 2-Duncan hums w 1 vol and 1 tone and a 3-way, and a Schaller wrap-around stoptail bridge. The body is real thin and there is no necklate. The serial # is a 4 digit stamped on the fretboard end, along with a "W". Any idea which model or from what year? By the way, this thing sounds HUGE and plays really well, I really like the thicker neck profile on this one. Thanks. Z

Re: another "what is it?" from a newbie

With the wrap-around tailpiece, it's a JJ1. Made in the late '90s (not sure exact year offhand) and then discontinued around 2001, I believe.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Well, I thought initially it was JJ1, but the specs seem a bit different. This has dots, no dice, a different headstock shape (kinda Gumby like -just like a Surfcaster, and the tailpiece is a 2-piece Schaller unless that was swapped at some point. Also, no Ebony board here so I'm still a little in the dark.
      Z

Comment

Hmm, strange. Got a pic? The model I remember seeing with dots and a rosewood board was the import JJ4, but that was string-thru. Though, I believe the original JJ1s did have rosewood boards instead of ebony. The only other model I can think of that had the wrap-around was the JJ5, but that had the dice inlay and was a five-string, and I thought they had Wilkinson wrap-arounds. Maybe it's one of the prototypes... I seem to recall a couple old ones Scott had with the different Gumby-type headstock. There was actually a version with a Wilkinson trem, too, from what I recall.

Comment

JJ Custom

Intro: 1994
          Disco: 1996

Made in USA

Pickups:[*]Bridge: Seymour Duncan Custom[*]Neck: Seymour Duncan PAF

Controls[*]Volume[*]Tone[*]3-way toggle switch

Hardware:[*]Bridge: Wilkinson GTB100 Wraparound tailpiece[*]Tuners: Jackson/Gotoh Die cast

Woods:[*]Body: African Mahogany w/ Optional quilt maple top[*]Neck: Maple[*]Fretboard: Ebony

Extra notes:
          JJ Custom was designed in conjunction with Scott Ian of Anthrax. The original JJ Custom had the Jackson pointed style headstock, but was change prior to production to the "Gumby" style. The JJ Custom had a slightly thinner body than that of the JJ1 or JJ2.
          Occupy JCF

Comment

Originally posted by TEKKY:
            Extra notes:
            JJ Custom was designed in conjunction with Scott Ian of Anthrax. The original JJ Custom had the Jackson pointed style headstock, but was change prior to production to the "Gumby" style. The JJ Custom had a slightly thinner body than that of the JJ1 or JJ2.
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Oh yeah, I do remember the first versions with the pointy headstock. Didn't realize they were Custom models and later changed to the Gumby headstocks. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Re: another &quot;what is it?&quot; from a newbie

O.K., JJCustom seems to be the closest other than the different bridge and Rosewood rather than Ebony. The body is definately thinner than the other JJ's I have played. I dig it, it is a compact, agressive, slightly rude piece- probably just like its namesake!
              Z

Comment

Does the bridge say "Schaller" on it?

It is possible it may be another model if the fretboard is in fact Rosewood. Unfortunately the files from the MoAIP are missing for most of the JJ Models.
                Occupy JCF

Comment

The bridge is definately a Schaller and the fingerboard is Rosewood. don't have a pic but this is the Auction #: 3724196284 (I hope this isn't a no-no putting this up!)

Z

Comment

The Schaller is most definitely a mod. As far as the model of guitar it is, it could be a JJ2. But again, without the files, I don't really know.
                    Occupy JCF

Comment

Originally posted by CJ:
                      definately
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">
                      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

By the way, speaking of the MOAIP ..... is it ever gonna be up??.....Don't wanna rush ya or anything [img]graemlins/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
                        I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Comment

Yes the MoAIP will be up. Thanks for not rushing me or anything.
                          Occupy JCF

Comment

What is the approximate ETA? [img]graemlins/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
                            "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX:
                              What is the approximate ETA? [img]graemlins/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">When he is finished ! [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X