Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ever passed on a Jackson b/c of the paint job?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ever passed on a Jackson b/c of the paint job?

So there is a used Jackson at a local shop. I believe it's a Soloist and I can't recall the asking price. It's been there for many months. The paint job, to me, is hideous. I haven't even bothered to take it off the wall and play it. I'd probably buy it otherwise. Anyone ever passed on a fantastic guitar just becuase of the paint job? To buy it and have it refinished would be too much effort/money.

Re: Ever passed on a Jackson b/c of the paint job?

yup, many times

but if the price is really low/low enough, then you could consider a refin..
    "I hate these filthy neutrals! With enemies, you know where they stand. But with neutrals... who knows? It sickens me!"

Comment

<font color="aqua">I've never passed on any great guitar just for the paint job (if it was cheap enough). [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Paint can be covered OR altered.... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] </font>
      Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Yes , unless the price was such a good deal, then a refin would be in the works.
        If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

Yeah, lots.

Graphics:
          The Art Deco simply sucks (some chick's face with various geometric objects in the background) - if I ever get my hands on that one, it's getting Newcensteined [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Crackles. Those suck as well, except for a Firebird with a Firecrackle that Dan Lawrence did with a Phoenix on it. Unfortunately, it was later refinished in the ever-so-common black [img]/images/graemlins/brow.gif[/img]

Most of the others I can tolerate, though.

The Jailhouse Strat also looked to be very very amateurishly done.

Trans/Natural finishes:
          Trans Black. Haven't seen many of these done well. Some are too dark, others are too light.

Natural Korina. Get a Goldtop and be done with it. From the pics I've seen Korina has no noticeable grain (as compared to flamed/quilted/spalted maple).

Color schemes:
          Black on Black on Black - everything black. You play on stage in the dark as well? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
          Show some pride in your choice of instrument (if it's a Jackson or Charvel - if not, keep it hidden [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]) and let the crowd see not only WHAT you're playing, but the player as well. Be heard. Be seen.

White and Chrome - it's ok to be seen, but damn, there is such a thing as overkill [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] White and Gold goes better together - looks "Holy", just like Black and Gold or Black and Chrome [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            Yeah, lots.

Crackles. Those suck as well,

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="aqua">thems fightin words mister.. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] and remember, I've seen the halford so you gots no room to talk..... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] </font>
            Dave ->

Comment

I wish I had that luxury! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

To be serious, I'd only pass up on a 'lynch sub' graphic, trans black and most other transparent flametops Jackson offers.
              You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                and remember, I've seen the halford so you gots no room to talk.....

[/ QUOTE ]

Add that one to your list, then [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  Crackles. Those suck as well, except for a Firebird with a Firecrackle that Dan Lawrence did with a Phoenix on it. Unfortunately, it was later refinished in the ever-so-common black

[/ QUOTE ]
                  Bite your tongue! Crackles are an important and cool looking part of C/J history! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Yes. Some of the crackles are hideous!!!!!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      Yes. Some of the crackles are hideous!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="aqua">operative word being...."some" [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] </font>
                      Dave ->

Comment

Right!!!! "All" is a better way to put it.

Comment

Yes, I have passed on not only Jackson but others because of graphics or paint. I do not like solid black paint jobs and there seems to be no end to those. Some graphics are too much for me, I like the ghost flames mostly. Some Bengal graphics are pretty cool too, but I usually end up with a sun burst fo some sort.

If the price was low enough to afford sending it in and getting the finish redone, then I would seriously consider it.
                          Jackson: DK1
                          Charvel: CS (CSB), SD (RGF), SD (Bullseye), SD '83 (HRF)

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            Right!!!! "All" is a better way to put it.

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="a"> [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] </font>
                            Dave ->

Comment

SO................. What paintjob does the guitar have that is so hideous to you divebomb?

Comment

Working...
                              X