rhoads neck versus les paul neck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: rhoads neck versus les paul neck

Just my subjective opinion, but all of the San Dimas Rhoads guitars I've played felt very "Gibsonish"...not any one thing, but the total package. Later ones are not like that--it seems like Jackson neckthrus became more standardized later on--at least in terms of neck feel. They all have that "D" profile that the early ones didn't have. I'm sure there are exceptions, though, since they are handmade.

Comment

Its no secret that the first Rhoads made for Randy, he wanted the neck backshape like his Les Paul. All of the earliest Rhoads had the ball bat or clubby backshape, like Randy's. Over time they got thinner, I guess. How do the new RR1T's match up to a Rhoads from the San Dimas era? I know our JCF01 guitars have huge necks, and they were spec'ed from the earliest ones we could get our hands on (examples owned by Robb Witte/ Jacksonmuseum).

Comment

Every early Rhoads I've played had a round chunky neck,very nice but not Les Paulish either!! I think the different scale length is a great point also!!Another thing to consider is fret size which greatly affects the feel,the early Rhoads guitars had tall/narrow frets not the jumbo size that's used today,there were exceptions of course!!Gibsons use medium size frets which IMHO feel very different from both the tall/narrow & jumbo frets!! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Chucksplatter

Comment

The rhoads neck is not only noticeably thinner it is also wider. Basically it's nothing like any Les Paul I have played/owned.

Comment

The RR1t neck is very close in shape to an 87-89 Les Paul Custom. IMHO.
            Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

Working...
            X