Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the difference between a Kelly and a King Kelly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the difference between a Kelly and a King Kelly?

I searched for the answer and my search yielded zero results so I now ask unto you. And does anyone have a pic of a King Kelly or a really good pic of a Kelly in either Metallic Black or Deep Candy Red?

Much appreciated,
    Nick

Re: What\'s the difference between a Kelly and a King Kelly?

The King Kelly is BIG (About the size of an Explorer) Some of them have extra decorative cutouts on the body sides. I don't have any pictures to hand, but I'm sure someone who can will be along shortly!

Comment

http://www.jcfonline.com/cgi-bin/ult...c;f=1;t=002520

Here you go.

Comment

So what are the dimensional differences between an original King Kelly and the Friedman Kelly?
        Also, was fret-to-body joint kept the same or did the body join the neck farther out on the smaller ones?

Newc
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc:
          So what are the dimensional differences between an original King Kelly and the Friedman Kelly?
          Also, was fret-to-body joint kept the same or did the body join the neck farther out on the smaller ones?

Newc
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Newc is asking questions about Jackson? [img]graemlins/brow.gif[/img]

I thought Newc is a Jackson guru and is here to enlighten others, not to ask questions. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

J/K.

Why did Friedman want to reduce the size of Kelly? Was he such of a pussy or what?

Comment

maybe it was too hardcore looking for him! haha, but maybe he was a smaller guy and the King Kelly looked silly on him?

Comment

There was definately a change in the model when the necks changed from 22 to 24 frets. It looks like they shifted the neck out to compensate for the extra frets and kind of keep the size of the body the same. You can see the change in the bridge placement and the size of the gap between the pickups.

Comment

Greg might know the size differences between the three Kelly sizes. I believe he had a pic one time that showed the three versions next to each other. He's got a Custom King Kelly without cutouts (maybe the only one that didn't have them?) I'm not sure if his is the original size or the second version, though.
                The third version of the Kelly that we know today was downsized due to Marty Friedman... I think he's a smaller guy and wanted a smaller body.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Shine:
                  definately
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">What is this? A conspiracy? [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
                  "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Cool thanks for the info. Looks like I may start saving up for a Custom Shop King Kelly with no cutouts pretty soon here. I had a KE3 as my first real guitar and after much soulsearching, deliberation, and feeling like an idiot for wasting a lot of money, have come to the conclusion that the Kelly is pretty much the guitar for me. I've never had any of the problems I've had with other guitars on the KE3 or any Kelly I've played. The closest I've come is the SL1 that I own but the Kelly shape to me fits slightly better.

So, now I can finally say that after four years of searching I've finally got it right. Every Jackson I've played felt right to me in ways no other guitars did. The USA Selects in particular. So I decree that from this day forth, I am a Jackson player. Damn I feel good! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

P.S.
                    Sorry if I got a bit longwinded there guys. I'm just happy I seem to have finally gotten it together.

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX:
                      </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Jim Shine:
                      definately
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">What is this? A conspiracy? [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">It's definately a conspiracy [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Newc
                      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Quick amendment to my last post....

I wrote in my last post that I have an SL1 when in reality I have an SL2H. [img]images/icons/blush.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] Sorry about that.

Comment

Newc
                          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Working...
                          X