Shannon/non-recessed Floyd question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shannon/non-recessed Floyd question.

Hey all. What are the, if any, differences in feel between a recessed and non-recessed Floyd? I keep my guitars blocked and am thinking of going non-recessed once I place my Custom Shop order. Thanks.

Re: Shannon/non-recessed Floyd question.

The only thing I've noticed between recessed trems and non-recessed/hardtail/tom is that I can grab pinch harmonics better on a TOM/non-recessed bridge than on a recessed. Maybe it's the height off the body [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Newc
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Yeah, just a slight height difference between recessed and non-recessed. Especially if you're going to block it, the height would feel somewhat close to a TOM bridge's height than say a Fender string-thru hardtail bridge's height.

And, if you're picky about "more wood = more tone", then the non-recessed Floyd has less wood carved out of the body. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

I prefer non recessed on Jacksons because I can anchor my pinky and ring on the PU bezel/under side of PU.
        I don't bump the volume knob like on the recessed.
        It's what I grew up on, so it's what I like.

Comment

I can play on both, but I actually prefer the non-recessed better because it's higher off the body and the fact that the neck has to be tilted back more instead of straighter like the recessed. It just feels a little better to me.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I just want to say that I (and anyone else for that matter) can play a recessed just as well as a non recessed.
            I just have to alter my right hand technique a lil.

Comment

its all good [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
              "It's because the speed of light is superior to the speed of sound that so many people look shiny before they actually sound stupid"

"All pleasure comes at someone Else's expense"

The internet is where, The men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

Comment

I play fine on both, my current main player is recessed and my backup guitar is the Bullseye RI which is non-recessed. The main problem is going from 24frets to 22 on them!

Comment

Cool. Thanks for the feedback guys. Me thinks I'll be going for the non-recessed.

Comment

I like the non recessed better simply because of the neck angle its more comfortable.I have some that are recessed that play fine too,I like them both.
                    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Another vote here for non-recessed. My current Soloist has a recessed trem, and the strings are close enough to the body that I keep bumping the pick into the neck pickup ring, which inevitably sits very close to the strings. Also, having a non-recessed trem means that the neck is angled back like on a Gibson. I prefer the feel of that. I haven't been playing the Soloist a lot lately, or I'd probably consider swapping it for a Shannon or pre-1990 Soloist with a non-recessed trem.

Comment

tremolo picking and muting seem to be easier for me on non-recessed, but lately my favorite guitar is my custom KV which is recessed... go figure...
                        The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

I like the non recessed or TOM better. I like the height of the strings off the body and the neck angle. But I play both recessed and non recessed. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

OK - I have a quick question....

Why is 'non recessed' always used to refer to a floating bridge on a guitar with an increased neck angle (i.e. no recess cut into the body to allow pull-up), rather than a guitar with the trem set to sit flat on the body a-la EVH? (also no recess)

Just a thought!....
                            Cheers
                            Ian
                            Popular is not the same as good
                            Rare is not the same as valuable
                            Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Originally posted by neilli:
                              rather than a guitar with the trem set to sit flat on the body a-la EVH? (also no recess)
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I believe that's commonly referred to as "semi-recessed" since it IS slightly sunken into the body. There are three Floyd trem block lengths. 42mm belongs to the recessed (like on Shannons and old Jacksons), 37mm belongs to the semi-recessed (EVH as you mentioned), and 32mm belongs to the recessed (like on current Jacksons). I think it was Steve Vai who was responsible for the full recess of the trem.

Comment

Working...
                              X