No announcement yet.

Shannon/non-recessed Floyd question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Shannon/non-recessed Floyd question.

I like the non-recessed trems because the picking height is higher. I have one recessed trem and never play it. [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

Comment

I too prefer the "old school" construction. I play both, and have axes that I love with both, but the angled neck and non-recessed Trems just feel "right" to me [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by Number Of The Priest:
        42mm belongs to the recessed (like on Shannons and old Jacksons
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You mean non-recessed. [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Whoopsie-doodle! [img]images/icons/blush.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] At least I got the block length in there to back me up. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Thanks for the correction. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by neilli:
            OK - I have a quick question....

Why is 'non recessed' always used to refer to a floating bridge on a guitar with an increased neck angle (i.e. no recess cut into the body to allow pull-up), rather than a guitar with the trem set to sit flat on the body a-la EVH? (also no recess)

Just a thought!....
            Cheers
            Ian
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">See what NOTP said and EVH's guitars don't float, they are set up more like a vintage trem so they aren't really included in discussions about recessed Vs non-recessed trems.

Comment

Why is 'non recessed' always used to refer to a floating bridge on a guitar with an increased neck angle (i.e. no recess cut into the body to allow pull-up), rather than a guitar with the trem set to sit flat on the body a-la EVH? (also no recess)
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">If it's not recessed at all, then it's referred to as "non-recessed". Whether the trem is set-up to float or it's resting on the body makes no difference, it's still not recessed into the body at all. As far as EVH, Wolfgangs (Archtops) may be referred to as "Semi-recessed" I'm not sure but any of his flat top guitars are non-recessed.

Comment

Originally posted by kickaxeguitars:
                Mike Shannon did it right when he built the first neckthrough guitar to feature the Floyd tremolo.
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Thanks for reminding me about the question I wanted to ask:

Back when people came in and wanted to Charvelize/Jacksonize their Fenders by sticking Floyd Rose trems onto them, did Grover or whoever have to shim the neck a little bit to increase the angle in order to accommodate for the non-recessed Floyd?

Comment

Sure they did. However, most Fender's before '72 required shims anyway. The whole 3 bolt idea was to build in a mechanical shim with the 'tilt neck' feature. Some Fender's like the Jaguar even had a shim in the factory parts build sheets. They relied on them so heavily that by '64 they actually had a tool in the machine shop to make shims. Shims were essential be it on Floyds or factory bridges.

Comment

Mike Shannon did it right when he built the first neckthrough guitar to feature the Floyd tremolo.

The recess craze was a jap inspired phenomenom and i think it is garbage.. jackson only did it to keep up with the ESP's, Ibanez's and Kramers of the era.. It sucked back then and it STILL sucks today..

A recess makes the guitar body look like ass and I still can't figure out the benefit..

Eddie didn't need it and NO ONE did Dive bombs better. (Of course he set his guitars up with the Floyd completely resting on the guitar body, a great trick for exaggerated bombs and the Floyd won't go out of tune if you break a string)

I hated recesses back when they came out and i still hate thme today.. [img]graemlins/puke.gif[/img]

Comment

I like the Gibson neck angle, to me, it feels like I have a better grasp on the neck.
                      The added angle allows me to attack the high frets more accurately.
                      More wood on a guitar, especially around the bridge, is better.
                      The extra wood removed w/ a recessed might not seem significant; but it thins out the tone & makes the feel much less stable IMHO.
                      Looking into my Model 6, I think the Trem Cavity could be much smaller also.
                      It could definately be smaller.
                      I'd like it to be closer to a Strat's in all areas excluding the depth.
                      Gotta Pull far both directions.

[ July 03, 2004, 03:12 AM: Message edited by: RHOADS TONE ]

Comment

Working...
                      X