Calling all USA Jackson experts....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calling all USA Jackson experts....

I sold an SD Jackson neck to Hippietim with the stamp on the heel. Also, that block inlaid neck I had a while back had a stamp.

The shims did come on some Strats (but not Dinkys IIRC), and were held on with Scotch tape, though given the age of the guitar it could be a recently placed (or replaced) shim.

The inkpen can be explained as a previous owner wanting to be able to read it better, or making it more legible for selling purposes.

Newc
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Re: Calling all USA Jackson experts....

While I may not be a Jackson history pro, I can tell you for sure, that is one of the FIRST pickup rings I ever made!! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] They have gotten a bit nicer than that now. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Glad I could add my expertise [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Are you saying that GMW doesn't use quality logo's? I thought GMW was generally held in high regard around here....or am I misinterpreting your post?
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You're misinterpreting it. I don't think Lee would put on a logo like that, so I wonder if GMW did any of that work.

Brett

Comment

Here's a real Dan Lawerence "Omni" graphic:

Look at the differences in detail...

Probably no coincedence that I sold Joe a couple Jackson logo's two years or so ago...

Comment

That guitar looks pretty genuine to me. The logo on my 88 Dinky also looks like that one as well although there is no waterslide border visible on mine.

Comment

Thanks a lot for the input guys. I should say that the guitar looks fantastic and plays great. Other than the logo, I really have no complaints about it. And unless you are right up on the headstock, you couldn't tell that the logo was fuzzy or blurry or pixelated in some spots. Guess I'll stick an OFR in and have fun.

Comment

Hey there, I just tried to return your PM but your message box is full [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
              Dave ->

Comment

TM, you just might have a silkscreened logo... at least the description "fuzzy" makes it sound like it. The fact you can see a waterslide under it is odd (as silkscreened logos (which appear fuzzy around the edges and CAN be inconsistent generally are applied directly to the headstock).

The logo placement and Made in USA look like they were placed correctly.

I would agree, find out from LEE, but I don't really see any red flags on it.

BTW, the serial number wouldn't be anywhere on the guitar except for the neck plate, and all neck heel and body stampings and markings are consistent with other Jacksons from 87-88.
                The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Xeno, thanks. You may be correct. Based on what you all have said, everything seems to be legit here. I just went thru the emails and he said that he was told that Dan at GMW did the refin and that it took 7 months to get it back from them. For an 88 refin, it looks brand new. If Dave did the pup ring, that makes it that much more valuable to me [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] . BTW, I cleaned out my PM box...sorry bout that.
                  Tom

Comment

GMW replaced the logo on my rising sun Soloist. The original was a decal (typical San Dimas) and the logo they used to replace it was a silkscreened version made from an original decal. I can spot the difference in that the logo is slightly fuzzier and more opaque white with no visable clear boarder under the clear.

What is odd (in my opinion) is the listing of the body finish/graphic on the neck. From what I have seen, the stamp forms listed the specs for that particular part only.

[ July 02, 2004, 07:49 PM: Message edited by: Jim Shine ]

Comment

That was definitely my ring bro, I had sold a few to Joe, but it is an older one though. It really is a very cool guitar and I had even inquired about it when it was on ebay but he thought I was being a smartass because I belong to the JCF and we all know he's had a few problems with some of the members here. I've never had a problem dealing with him and as a matter of fact, he was always pleasant to deal with(for me anyway). Congrats [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
                      Dave ->

Comment

Calling all USA Jackson experts....

OK, first let me say that, while I buy, sell, and own a LOT of USA C/J guitars, there are some areas that I don't consider myself completely up to speed on as far as history goes. I got this guitar today and, because of a fellow JCF'er having probs with this same seller, I figured it a good idea to take her apart to see if anything was not right. The finish is a refin, probably by GMW/DL but the seller couldn't say. Here's the areas I find suspect.
                        1. Jackson logo is very obviously a computer printer job. Aside from the pixels that are visible, it's fuzzy as hell and I can easily see the outline of the clear waterslide border, which was cut with an Exacto-knife I assume. Frets are jumbos and in fine shape. The locknut is one of those Kahlers with the standard screw in locks. The neck heel has the common stamp that I usually see in the trem cavity. Note it in the pic below. The info has been written in pen and it looks as if it was recently written. It is possible that someone wrote over words that were originally written in pencil. I've never seen this stamp on a neck heel. The neck pocket has two yellow pieces that are shims. They are scotch taped in and the tape is like new. There is a date wriiten that says: "6-16-88", there is a stamp that says "HERMAN GUTIERR.." which I assume to read Gutierrez. And last, there is the work order, written in pen that says "3466". This is the same W.O. # that's on the neck heel. Nowhere on the heel or pocket does it have the serial number, which is 6931 according to the SD neckplate.
                        The trem cavity, pictured as well, has the same stamp as the heel with the same info. Some of the stamped words, like "Neck Col" have had the "N" retraced in inkpen. The control cavity looks relatively normal to me but I am not an expert at what was done on what dates or when C/J changed things. The vol pot has the code 1348746 which, if I remember right, would be correct for being manufactured in 1987.
                        All of you really knowledgeable Jackson experts please chime in on this. This seller goes by other names that many of us would DEFINITELY recognize. The reputation under the other name(s) would make anybody skiddish and wary.
                        Other than these issues I have pointed out as being suspect, the guitar looks great. It has a JT-6 trem which I would replace with an OFR but the finish is mint, the pickup is a nice white Dimarzio SD, and the frets and fretboard are nearly perfect. I don't really care too much about mods, refins, and such. But I don't want to find out later that the guy stuck an import neck on it, created his own stamps, and essentially created a really good knockoff for a USA Dinky. If you need more pics to make decisions, let me know. Thanks for the help.
                        Tom
                        neck heel

neck pocket

logo- notice how it pixelates

front

trem cavity

Comment

If spending a ton of $ makes me an expert so be it, but that thing looks OK to me. I think the logo is shitty because the headstock was refin'd to match the guitar and whoever did it didn't get a good logo. It looks like a GMW quality graphic. Why don't you call Lee and ask him if he worked on that guitar recently, or check his site - it may be up there.

Just my $.02.

Brett

Comment

Originally posted by brett8388:
                            If spending a ton of $ makes me an expert so be it, but that thing looks OK to me. I think the logo is shitty because the headstock was refin'd to match the guitar and whoever did it didn't get a good logo. It looks like a GMW quality graphic. Why don't you call Lee and ask him if he worked on that guitar recently, or check his site - it may be up there.

Just my $.02.

Brett
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Are you saying that GMW doesn't use quality logo's? I thought GMW was generally held in high regard around here....or am I misinterpreting your post?

Comment

I can't be sure of that particular logos authenticity, it does seem to be the concensus it was a GMW refin, but Jackson did silkscreen logos directly onto headstocks for a brief time period. My 89 Strathead has a factory silkscreened logo, and I know the Japanese factory did this as well, as my 91 Charvel fusion had a silkscreened logo too.
                              The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Working...
                              X