Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Schon question

Hello,
    A local store is selling a used Schon ($400) and I'm trying to get as much info as possible on this weirdo guitar.

The AXE is beyond ugly but it plays like a dream... once I laid my hands on it I fell in love with the feel and sound. The GTR is the odd Les Paul/Explorer-horn style, ebony fretboard, 2 humbuckers/5-position, Floyd-rose. The headstock is black and says SCHON in cursive letters -- is this a Jackson guitar?

All available info is much appreciated.

Thanks,

www.misterguitar.net

By the way, this forum is awesome... congrats to the publishers!

Re: Schon question

They were made first by Jackson and later by Larrivee. The Jacksons are 24 frets, the Larrivee are 22 frets.
    $400 is a great price if it's the Jackson. Put it on Ebay and see if you can double your money [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Newc
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Thanks.

Any other relevant differences besides the number of frets?

http://www.misterguitar.net

Comment

The Jacksons were better. Aside from that and the frets, no other really glaring differences.

Newc
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc:
          The Jacksons were better. Aside from that and the frets, no other really glaring differences.

Newc
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">i had one of neal's personal road tested schon's (i sold it to a collector buddy). it was made by larrivee...................only the first 100 were made by jackson. btw i played both versions and they were both outstanding the jackson was no better quality.imo.

Comment

les paul explorer horn? so it looked like a dean caddy? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

That is a nice price and you should buy it. I played a Larivee and it was very nice.

Comment

Yeah, I went back to check it out and sure enough it's a Larrivee, oh la la!
                I'm trying to score it in exchange for some design work... wish me luck.

Oh, and thanks for all the info.

Comment

welcome to the board, and your site is cool! i love the destroyer you're playin in one of the pics.

sully
                  Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                  Sully Guitars on Facebook
                  Sully Guitars on Google+
                  Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Thanks, this board is way better than anything I've seen out there... cool graphix, cool GTRS and cool people... all that's missing is BABES, but 3 out of 4 ain't bad.

Anyway, glad you liked my site. If you'd like me to include your personal site on my links page just send me your URL. This offer is actually extended to all of you who have personal guitar sites... I can't promise you much traffic, but it's still neat. Please NO commercial sites though... this is just for the community's sake.

Comment

I forgot to mention that the Explorer you liked is an old Phil Collen model Ibanez Destroyer. You can find them for pretty cheap out there, they're cool and they play well. PUPs suck, but what else is new for Ibanez? Switch 'em out and rock on!

Comment

Originally posted by Seventh Avenged:
                        les paul explorer horn? so it looked like a dean caddy? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

/Henrik
                        Henrik
                        AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Ahhhh, that one. ok, thanks jackson1. personally, he did a lot better with his floyded lp customs and that goldie of his.

and is vivian trying out for Taming of the Shrew? (the tights), haha.

Comment

Buy it. They are great guitars I own 2 larrivee& 2 Jackson made Schon's. The differences are the pickups are PJ Marx in the larrivee and they have no active electronics,25& 5/8 scale and are about a inch shorter than a Jackson. If you don't want it I 'ld love another. JTR

Comment

There were around 200 made by Jackson & 500+ made by Larrivee at least going by the serial # I've seen.

Comment

Working...
                              X