• Whats the diff. between SL2 and SL2H?

?
    Guitars:
    Jackson USA Shannon Soloist (blk)
    Jackson USA Custom Shop SL2H white/Silver Ghost Flames
    Bernie Rico Jr. Hybrid Vixen (blk)
    BC Rich NJ Gunslinger

Amp:
    ENGL Powerball -> ENGL Pro Cab 4*12(V30's)

Re: Whats the diff. between SL2 and SL2H?

Off the top o' my head....

SL2 has no inlays, black neck binding, no headstock binding, Schaller trem, Armstrong pickups.

SL2H has sharkies, bound neck & headstock, OFR, Duncan pickups.
    Hail yesterday

Comment

SL2H:
      Bound neck and head
      Sharkfins
      Duncans
      OFR
      More colour options

SL2
      No binding
      No sharkfins
      Kent Armstrong pickups
      Cheap bridge
      Limited range of colours (some with matching headstocks)
      Popular is not the same as good
      Rare is not the same as valuable
      Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

cool, ive always wanted a soloist without inlays.
        how does kent armstrong PU's sound?
        and are SL2's rare?
        Guitars:
        Jackson USA Shannon Soloist (blk)
        Jackson USA Custom Shop SL2H white/Silver Ghost Flames
        Bernie Rico Jr. Hybrid Vixen (blk)
        BC Rich NJ Gunslinger

Amp:
        ENGL Powerball -> ENGL Pro Cab 4*12(V30's)

Comment

Not sure how the pickups sound, but that's not an expensive mod if you don't like the armstrongs.

SL2s are not that rare, but generally they're not as desirable as the SL2H, as they're kind of the 'studio' version - if they'd had an OFR they might have been up there for people who want the same quality without the flash, but replacing pickups and bridge would just add too much to the guitar for most folks.....
          Popular is not the same as good
          Rare is not the same as valuable
          Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

I have three Jacksons from the "USA 2" series: SL-2 Soloist, RR-2 Rhoads (bolt-on) and DR-2 Dinky Reverse. The SL-2 and RR-2 both have the Armstrong pickups, and all three have the JT580LP trem. I'm not much of a whammy user, so the licensed trem has never presented a problem for me. No tuning instability or unusual wear. I've had more problems with Schaller/OFR trems having stripped screws or worn-out saddles. That's just me though, and maybe my three JT580LPs are exceptions to the rule.

As far as the Armstrong pickups are concerned, it depends on what sound you're going for. I call my SL-2 my "Slayer guitar" because it nails that mid-heavy distorted sound perfectly. The bridge pickup is not at all suited toward clear clean sounds, and the neck pickup only mildly so, but for gritty overdriven tones, it's great. Not quite as articulate as most Duncans, but I've never felt any inclination to swap out the Armstrongs.
            sigpic

Comment

cool, I think that SL2 you have is fucking [img]/images/graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]
              Piney Hills New Site <------Clicky Clicky

CALL THE SHOP @ 318.232.3002

instock inventory

Comment

Did they make one with sharks but no binding? I've got one being transfered to my local store that from the picture has either no binding or black binding, shark fins, and some variety of low profile trem. Does floyd rose make a low profile? They claim it's an sl2h but I'm worrying it may not be.

Comment

Sparkytfl, if it is 24 frets, JT580LP low-profile trem, no binding, H/S/S pickups, sharkfins on rosewood, then it's a Japanese SL3.

If it is 22 frets, JT580LP low-profile trem, no binding, H/H pickups, sharkfins on rosewood, then it's a Japanese SL4 (discontinued).

Comment

Nope, it's 24, HH, and looks like it says made in the us on the head. They say it's neck through and ebony.

I've been waiting two weeks for it to show up on their truck to see it.

Comment

That looks like added sharkfins and a swapped bridge pickup! Otherwise, the guitar is pure USA SL2.

But damn, those sharkfins look clean... [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

I'm not finding much info on these sl2s. What years were they made, and how much less are they worth? I guess I need to wait to see this thing and find out the serial number.

Comment

Review on SL2H I found:

Price Paid: N/A

Features: 10
                          This guitar is awesome ass shit!
                          Case closed, it is made with and laminated in pure awesomeness and bi-products of awesomness.
                          Point is it's an ass kicking axe!
                          Actually, it's ass-kicking and nut-exploding, allow me to explain: I was wrenching out some awesome ass shit from this guitar and my dad comes in and says "It's 3 in the morning, would you mind turning that down a little so I could sleep?" so I cranked my amp to 11 and did a hardcore C powerchord and his nuts exploded in his pants, and he statred rolling around on the ground in agony so I said to him "ask me to turn it down again and I'll crack your neck with a A!

Sound: 10
                          It sounds like awesomeness, case closed!
                          Here's a good example of how good the sound is: One time I attached a tiny-ass M2 marshall amp to my belt and went into my neighbor's backyard, my neighbor has a big-ass dog but I wasn't afraid, as it charged towards me I used this guitar's awesome tone and did pinch harmonic and blew the dog's head off like in Scanners, I get the feeling that the guy who wrote Scanners had a Soloist, which is how he got the exploding heads idea. Point is it's fucking dangerous to do pinch harmnics around animals, even if you do it through a shitty-ass amp.

Action, Fit, & Finish: 10
                          It's a soloist! This guitar's action is not unlike Carmen Electra's action, which is smooth and long lasting.
                          I played so fast on this guitar that I actually made time reverse for a split second like in Superman, except in this one I ran over to Louis who was stuck in a car or something and I did a pinch harmonic and blew her fuckin' head off then made airplanes crash with my sweet-ass powerchords.

Reliability/Durability: 10
                          It's the exact opposite of a mexican bank teller in it's reliability.

I've killed about 700 different living things with this guitar and I haven't even needed to tune it yet.

Customer Support: N/A
                          Never dealt with the mother fuckers, but if I did and they gave me shit I'd do a C powerchord over the phone and blow their nuts/ovaries off.

Overall Rating: 10
                          10 out of 10, this guitar is more dangerous than a leg-humping hobo on a subway, I suggest you buy two, one for you and one to give to a friend so you guys can sonic-battle and whoever looses doesn't get to bare children in the older years.
                          This guitar is perfect in every way except that it doesn't come with blood-splatter-proof paint.

Submitted by Bob Vila at 08/23/2005 11:37

Comment

Thats fucking gold!

Comment

That's why I've given up reading the harmony central reviews. I've seen funnier from them too.

Comment

Working...
                              X