What the hell did I buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What the hell did I buy?

Ok so after some research it seems the answer is this. That model on ebay, even with the large ontario cavity is a san dimas. Only the first 11 models produced were San Dimas. From 87 through 95 the other models in the series were made in Ontario. Sounds like they have that Ontario control cavity because it was right before the transition was made anyways. All that not withstanding, no way of knowing when that guitar was made without a serial number, unless John can provide additional information.

Comment

I imagine that probably got rejected right before it was going to have the serial number stamped and probably went to an employee. Anything written in the control cavity ?

Matt

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        I imagine that probably got rejected right before it was going to have the serial number stamped and probably went to an employee. Anything written in the control cavity ?

[/ QUOTE ]

hey guys... I went ahead and opened the cavity up. There is nothing written on anything in there. I am starting to believe that this guitar was probably given to a employee and rejected because of the little nott. Personally, I love the nott because it adds character to the instrument.

The funny thing is that I was under the impression that no jackson leaves the factory unless the serial number has been stamped on the instrument. I dont think that this is a forgery or anything like that because, damn, who would forge a neck through? I dont think it has been stolen because it would be very obvious that the neck has been filed.

Regardless, the mystery of the guitar has me more jazzed then just playing. I have been a fan of these guitars since I first started playing and seeing them being used on stage and seeing them on the wall. I have always wanted to grab one of these fine instruments. When I got that Computer Science degree, the first thing I started doing was combing the use instruments for something really cool as a reward. That is how I ran across this "icon of my youth."

I feel more attached to it with all the information that has been loaded. I almost want to take a trip down to the factory and have them ID it for me and see if I can actuallty get it stamped or documented =) While I am there, choose a guitar to be made to my specs. Jackson Quality with my own graphics.

I need to find some contact info. I have a 3 week sabbatical coming up. I think it is time for a road trip to the jackson plant =).

-Nate
        Insert annoying equipment list here....

Comment

Oh yeah....

Here are pics that the other guy posted.

Looks very similar, Cannot tell if it is a archtop though. The one thing that I did notice was the location of the "Made in the USA" text, it is on the left hand side of the Jackson logo rather then below it like mine. Along with that, it has a unbound fingerboard. Again, I dont know if that has any significance at all. Just something I noticed. Other then that, I cannot tell any other difference.

Comment

That doesn't have neck and headstock binding. Also like you said the logo is different which indicates that the guitar the guy posted is a later one. I also thought those Archtops were flame maple tops?!! [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

Jackson with the TM instead of an R and the made in USA under Jackson would indicate a San DImas logo and guitar, these were used until 85 some made it onto a few 86 guitars.

Comment

AK47,

Dude... you hit it...

Look at the Headstock in the pictures above. Under the B tuning peg, you can see the M in TM.

For a closer view....

So, what are we looking at a 85-86 San Dimas Jackson Soloist Archtop?

Given that some of the markings/the knot, I can see why it was rejected. But, damn... if this is what it is, I am totally friggen stoked and so pleased that all you were all able to nail this 10 year quest of mine.

-Nate

Comment

I don't think there were any Archtop Soloists made in 85. 86 is the first and only year based on the information I see. Which means you are the proud owner of a rare San Dimas (blemished) Archtop Soloist. Congrats! There were only a dozen or so made at the San Dimas factory (production models anyways) so that is one collectable guitar you have there!

Awesome eye AK47, I never would have caught that tm/r thing and I wasn't aware of the "made in usa" placement being an indicator of where it was built.

Comment

Mystery Guitar Hour. We need a Guitar Detective! You might try posting to JCMarketing Guy and maybe he can get someone like Mike Shannon to shed some light on this. This is almost a mysterious as the Pre-Pro Charvel I.D.'s [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
                    Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

very cool
                      Piney Hills New Site <------Clicky Clicky

CALL THE SHOP @ 318.232.3002

instock inventory

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        Mystery Guitar Hour. We need a Guitar Detective! You might try posting to JCMarketing Guy and maybe he can get someone like Mike Shannon to shed some light on this. This is almost a mysterious as the Pre-Pro Charvel I.D.'s [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

All I can say is "Holy Shit!" wait tell the guys at work hear about this. I am totally blown away. Thanks for all your help people. This has been very exciting having you guys pick this thing over and come to a conclusion like this. I feel like I just took a trip to the Antique Roadshow for metalheads [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img].

A couple of last questions.

1 - Who is JCMarketing guy and Mike Shannon and how do I go about getting a hold of him? I am sure some of you are laughing at me right now for asking questions like this. And yes... Noobie comments will be accepted at this point =)

2 - Is there anyway that anyone can think of that I can take a trip to a factory or whatever and have this instrument documented. This thing just gained status of a family heirloom to me =).

Comment

Mike Shannon is the custom shop master guitar builder (one of two that I know of currently) but he has been with Jackson for like..ever. He probably had a hand in building your guitar at least to some degree I would imagine.

JC Marketing Guy, or John is the Jackson marketing guy who posts here on the "Ask Jackson" forum. You may want to inquire there and see if he can help you get it precisely identified.

As to going to the factory, can't help you there.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            I also thought those Archtops were flame maple tops?!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Not all of them were. I've seen many solid color ones. Some with binding others without. some single hums, some with sharkfins. Remember, back then there were no production models. You ordered it how you wanted it. A Board member here owns a solid red single hum archtop.
                            "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Comment

The TM in the logo is a sure way to identify and date the guitar because of legal resons after a cetain time period you can not have TM on your product it has to be an R.

Comment

Wow! I would say that this is an employee guitar. There are planty of jacksons out there without the S/N. I have one and almost bought another one. I'm realy into the very early jacksons with no S/N.

I would also say that this is a late 80's JA series, but the logo positioning leads me to believe all-the-more that this is an employee guitar. The logo is placed at the wrong angle.... the "Made in USA" should run parallel along the edge. Notice that it is askew...

Diego

Comment

Working...
                                X