Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finally my first US soloist! How old? Pics.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally my first US soloist! How old? Pics.

Grabbed this from a buyitnow on ebay like three hours after it was listed. Aparently it's a soloist custom, but supposedly it had a refret in 1990 and in the process of prepping the board, the serial was sanded off. Now the wood there is exactly the same level as the rest of the board, so no reason not to believe this.

here's that text: "Guitar re-fretted in 1990. When I reached the point when I need to refret the guitar, I took it none other than the highly regarded master luther, Carl McIntyre. Carl was mostly a builder of acoustic instruments and his fret work is immaculate. As a result of the fret job there are two things to point out. The “fretcaps” that extend from the binding on the neck around the each end of the frets were filed even/flush to the fingerboard(actually improving the true radius of each fret). Also, during the overall process the serial number indention in front of the 24th fret was sanded off the fingerboard. I was upset over this but it’s clear that this was a bad choice on Jackson’s part for “branding” the guitar in a area that’s known to require some maintenance. All said and done this guitar has fret work that far exceeds most any factory guitar. Since the new frets were installed some wear on the first 5 frets is noticible, otherwise none!"

Also supposedly the serial is/was J01976, but I don't think they had J with five numbers. It can't be j1976, because this one is http://www.usacharvels.com/charvel/n...ls/jfrank.htm. Maybe j0976 or u01976?

Anyway, I'm happy with this so far. I'm still in the process of cleaning it, but I'll let you guys know when I get to play it. In the mean time, any help on finding what year this was made and which factory would be cool.

The mandatory pics:

Last edited by Sparkytfl; 04-14-2009, 04:54 PM.

Re: Finally my first US soloist! How old? Pics.

Haven't seen too many of these with a stringtree! Interesting.
    You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

The r and the placement of the made in usa are like ontario, but that's the small san dimas control cavity, right? Could it have been started in one facory, and finished in the other? Was that common?

And I'm looking at the screw hole on the string tree and it doesn't really look original. Like they didn't drill a wide enough pilot hole. And it has a spring instead of a metal spacer. Never seen that.

Comment

That logo position doesn't look quite right to me, so maybe a refinshed headstock?
        Popular is not the same as good
        Rare is not the same as valuable
        Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

San Dimas routes were common in Onatario for a while after the move. Also string tree is after market.

Comment

3 things that make me think this is a early ontario jackson,
            1: sound like it had binding over the frets before the re-fret
            2: the hum pup ring is not the over sized veriety
            3: the single coil slots have the triangle shape to them, and also the through the neck nut hold down....
            the later soloist's had the smaller single coil slots, but the small san dimas rear route is on a lot of soloist's through out the late 80's, i have an 89 with the small route, looks like they may have had some left over before the switch the the recessed trem in the 1990 run

jon

Comment

The R in the logo tells me for sure its an 86 or newer. The route than tells you it cant be any time past 89. If I was a betting man I would say this guitar was made in 86 in Ontario.

Comment

right angle tabbed tuners with the Jackson logo were used pretty much exclusively in late '86.... could be dimas built just as easily as ontario built (there are several other dimas built guitars from '86 with the "R" instead of the "TM".. you can see for yourself in the gallery pics)

It's nice either way!

Comment

Remember, the guitar was *refreted* in 1990, but there's no indication that the guitar was built around then--in fact, that would be unlikely if it needed a refret by then. My guess is that it is J0976, which would place it during Summer 1985. Other things that go with it being from that year:

bigger single-coil routs
                  originally had binding over frets
                  rear-screwed locknut
                  pickup toggles
                  knob placement
                  San Dimas control rout

In fact, the *only* thing that doesn't square with it being an '85 is the position of "Made in USA" on the logo, but some of the Dimas's apparently had it done that way. They weren't very consistent back then.

Comment

Sorry, I didn't notice the "R" thing. But I still say San Dimas, unless someone specifically ordered it to exact SD specs after the move.

Comment

J0976 is a King V custom with a Kahler. If I know my Jacksons, that may not be a King V..............

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

2: the hum pup ring is not the over sized veriety

[/ QUOTE ]
                        Well the one that's on there probably isn't original. It doesn't really fit either. The screw holes on the body are all about a mm too far out. That's why it only has two screws. On a related note, does anybody know where to buy one that does fit?

And thanks fo the effort guys. Looks like this will probably be a mystery, since there were so many exceptions to what was normal.

Comment

1986. The binding over frets, logo, routes etc. all match and
                          then it could have been serial J1976.
                          I'm sure Budman can help with the pickup rings.
                          My band here -> http://www.diceoffate.com/

Comment

Working...
                          X