Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Playability differences between SL-2 and SL2T?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Playability differences between SL-2 and SL2T?

Hey guys,

I havnt posted here in a long time, i bought my one and only US Jackson from Strangletooth on here a few years ago, a Pile O Skulls SL-1, which has been my main guitar ever since. I love it and it fits me perfectly, but id quite like a humbucker in the neck position for a sweeter lead tone, which is what leads me to the SL-2 (obviously!)

Theyre hard to come by in the UK, so i was wondering if anyone on here who has experience of both could tell me if the change of bridge gave them a drastically different feel? I dont imagine it would, but i dont want to buy one and then not have it play the way i want

I've been looking around some websites, but many of them only show the list price so i thought id ask here. Id probably be buying it from the states as they cost too much from this country. I dont mind used guitars since this will be a players guitar, not a collectors piece. As a result, nice tops arent required, just basic black or white is what im after to keep the cost down. This place used to be a great spot for picking up great used guitars, but there doesnt seem to be a SPAM section anymore, has it moved or was it removed?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

James

Re: Playability differences between SL-2 and SL2T?

Well, with one you would be able to dive bomb and raise the pitch with the bridge. With the other, you wouldn't, but you would be able to change tunings faster. [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

J/K, man. It's been a while since I've played either one in a store so I can't really help.

Comment

ahh no worries, do you happen to know what the going rate for a used one is? (fixed or floyd) Theres no SL-2s on ebay at the moment, or at least no basic ones that i can see

James

Comment

I rather wonder what are the tonal differences?

Comment

Well, I'm not so up on the current prices for some of the recent used stuff. But, I would expect to pay a little over $1000 US for one in good condition. Any less than that and you've found a great deal.

As far as the tonal differences, I would assume the Floyd model would be a tad brighter with a little more snap to it. String thrus tend to be a little smoother. But that's going to depend a lot on the piece of wood used for the body as well. You'd really have to play a couple back to back to notice much of a difference. It will be pretty subtle and a lot of guys wouldn't be able to distinguish between the two unless they could A/B the two against each other.

Comment

Doesn´t the SL2T have the neck angled back a bit to compensate for the TOM? That would definitely be a niticable difference in hand positioning.....

But I´ve never held an SL2T for more than a second before (Me likey Floyds), so it´s just speculation....

Comment

RR1T has angled neck, so SL2T has it for sure

Angled neck doesn't affect hand positioning much, it's so subtle.
              Because I don't say it
              Doesn't mean I ain't thinking it

Comment

thanks for the input guys, at the moment im not sure if its going to be an SL2 or a Blackmachine B2, but that all depends on how much money i have as the blackmachine will cost more

Comment

Working...
                X