Randy's white pinstripe on display

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Randy\'s white pinstripe on display

btx109-did you get a close up of the description?
    Thanks for the pix's bro-now I will not be able to go back to sleep [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Comment

Awesome, thank you!!! [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
      The only solution to GAS is DEATH...

Comment

You're all welcome. I didn't see anyone else there from the JCF, but since the exhibit will be up through November I'm sure some of the members will make it through there.

The text on the card described how Randy ordered the guitar from Grover Jackson of Charvel Guitars...but whoever provided the info got a lot of it wrong! The card incorrectly states that the guitar was made of alder (it's not, it's a maple neck-through with maple sides) and that Randy "modified" the guitar but that it was never played live (totally wrong, there's several photos of Randy playing it onstage as well as the brief video footage of him playing it live on "Over The Mountain").

OK, OK...I know if it was me, I'd want to know what the card actually said, so here's the text from the display card:

"Randy ordered his first custom built guitar, noted for its polka-dot finish, from Karl Sandoval while he was with Quiet Riot. In December of 1980 after touring with Ozzy Osbourne in England, he commissioned Grover Jackson of Charvel guitars to build a second guitar. Rhoads sketched a new V design for him to follow. Grover spent two months building the guitar and shipped it to Rhoads in England. It was white with black pinstripes, with an alder body with the neck through design, an ebony fretboard with mother-of-pearl block inlays, 22 jumbo frets, a Floyd Rose tremolo bar and gold tuners and hardware. The white "flying-V" guitar was the first Jackson made and was forever associated with Randy Rhoads. This particular guitar was modified by Rhoads, but never played on stage. The (unclear) "flying-V" guitar was the model for the full size model."

"On loan, courtesy of Delores Rhoad." (Sic)

Comment

"mini" is the word, and if true, wouldn't that make the mini guitar the source of all things Jackson?
          Dreaded Silence - Boston Melancholic Metal

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] Dude, thank you SO MUCH for that! It rules to see Randy's original again. [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

The headstock shape is quite interesting. Longer, and with more of a curve. And the short wing looks wider than the top one.

Comment

Cool stuff. Thanks.

Comment

it's really unfortunate that the info on the card has so much wrong information on it. the mini guitar has me very intrigued. there's never been any mention of it anywhere, and yeah, THAT guitar, if it is what it is, would be the source of all things jackson.

thank you so much for posting these pics, that white guitar has always been my favorite of his.

sully
                Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                Sully Guitars on Facebook
                Sully Guitars on Google+
                Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

very cool man! Thanks for posting. I plan on checking it out this weekend or next.

Comment

mnay many thanks for posting...awesome
                    www.usacharvels.com - info, pics and Charvel guitar discussion board. All things Charvel
                    My Charvel guitars - always one away from too many!

Comment

I like how the card says he didn't play it live,right next to a shot of him playing it live [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Can't wait to see this,hopefully this weekend! Thanks for the pics! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

is it possible the smaller guitar was done to give an example of what he wanted and that might be what they were referring too?
                        Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

In a respectful way, maybe someone could tape a corrected version of the card's narrative (typed) to the display case? ...Or would that be too over the top? It's just kind of sad how many inaccuracies there are in there. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

And what are the "mods" that are being referred to? Did Randy swap out the pickups or something? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Also, if ever there was an "automatic" for GOTM, this is it. I can't remember the last time this guitar might've been displayed. In fact, I can't EVER recall it being displayed since Randy's death. [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Comment

wow...thanks for posting pictures of that one. I also think its funny how all the info is wrong on the card [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I sure as hell hope they have good security at that place...
                            shawnlutz.com

Comment

great to see such a legendary guitar. thanks for those pics.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                                I can't remember the last time this guitar might've been displayed. In fact, I can't EVER recall it being displayed since Randy's death. [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it was on display at the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame in the 90's. I know that the polka dot was but do not recall if this one was.

Comment

Working...
                                X