Custom Shop vs USA Select

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom Shop vs USA Select

I know that they are both made in the same factory by the same people, but is the quality any better on a Custom Shop guitar? Do they use better parts or better wood (with the exception of flame and quilt tops)?

Re: Custom Shop vs USA Select

Customs do have some kind of extra mojo to them. Build quality is almost the same. I think there is a little more attention to detail with a true custom. They sure feel like it.
    The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

+1. I've got 3 USA's, one of em's custom. They all play and sound great but the custom's in a league of it's own in by comparison [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
      Hear the universe scream
      Bleeding from black holes
      Whom horns careless
      And whom God mourns

Comment

I've never owned a custom (played one though), and it depends on what options you choose. You can choose to have a A+++ grade flame top, which the USA series don't have, so it will be nicer woods used on em, and they both played great. Either way you go ya ain't goin wrong, that's basically it

Comment

It doesn't have anything to do with just wood selection or what top it has or what hardware was ordered with it. It's more than that, it's the the feel.

I've owned dozens of USA Jacksons. I've owned and played a number of USA Selects from various eras, and I've also owned and played customs from those same eras.

The customs almost always play better, have a nicer feel to the necks, and definitely have a better vibe/mojo to them.

Comment

2 customs and 4 USAs here, same thing.. the Standard production models are already great, but the 2 CS axes just rule them all away [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

I have 4 custom Jacksons (2 on the way), 3 USA Select Series and a 1985 SD Soloist (+ various USA Charvels) - I love them all, but my favorite Jacksons are probably the select series XTRR and the SD Soloist. Mind you, that might be down to the style of the guitar, rather than the quality, and also that they're the most recent acquisitions!

As an aside, the early Japanese Pro Series guitars are great - I have a PC and a Mustaine and (ego / snobbery aside) with the exception of the pickups, I'd say that they give the Select Series a damn good run for it's money.
              Popular is not the same as good
              Rare is not the same as valuable
              Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

I have a custom that should be here in a couple weeks. I am anxious to see if it sounds as good as my PC1.

It is based on the PC1 with a different body style but same woods.

I will be estatic if it is at least as good because the particular PC1 I have is one of those "magical tone machines" that you get lucky and find once or twice in your life.
                PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

I have 2 USA Jacksons and a custum shop Charvel. The Charvel has much more of a solid feel. It's a lot heavier due to the type of wood. The detail on all of them is excellent. I still have a PC1 and new Jackson custom shop on order
                  "You have a pud..your wife has a face. Next time she bitches..I'd play cock bongos on her cheeks..all four of them!" - Bill Z.
                  I just just had a sudden urge to sugga dick..! If I wore that guitar and didn't suck male genitalia..somethin' is very wrong! - Bill Z.

Comment

I've got 5 Customs and 3 USA Selects. I really don't notice much of a difference in the playability between the bunch. The Customs are special for what they are, and what additional custom items are there. ie: binding over fret ends, different pickups, logos etc.
                    Scott
                    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

So basically the Customs have extra Mojo and Vibe [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Man, you guys kill me with that crap [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

If you're going Custom Shop, get more/different options rather than just a hardware swap or a reverse headstock. You DON'T have to blow $5000, unless you WANT it to be a "once-in-a-lifetime" event, so I'd suggest only getting the options you REALLY want, rather than additional things that would "make it cool", as well as way more expensive than it needs to be.

Basically, unless you've got an idea for a specific custom body type (like a Demon, Death Angel, or a combination of body elements like a Warrior with Death Angel Tips or 7-string) or figured top or graphic, then I'd stick with a USA Select model and deal with whatever it had/didn't have.
                      Otherwise, you'd pay the same $$$ for a black SL1 with just a reverse headstock that I paid for what will (hopefully) be the first-ever 7-string bolt-on Warrior.
                      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

+1 Newc. If the Custom Shop guitars are better quality than the USA Selects, they must be Heaven sent, because you can not get much better than the USA Selects IMHO. I have 2004 models and used to build guitars for a living. Soon I will be ordering a custom shop, but need to save up a few pennies. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
                        Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

For 5000 you would have to be getting something pretty pricey like a guitar made entirely out of abalone (thats a joke) or a Mike Learn guitar. I'm not spending near that much on mine and mine is going to be completely unique. I think your right about not getting just a custom shop with a reverse head and a hardware change, thats silly. But you can get a very unique one off guitar without spending 5 grand. Thats a bit of an exaggeration.

Comment

DB I've asked the same question to a few dealers and I can't get a consistent answer. One told me that you would get a better flame top on a custom than a USA select while the other two told me the quality of the woods is the same unless you specifically request an upgrade on a custom which they would charge more for. All of them said the main benefit of a custom is that you have more options to choose from. None of them said the customs were noticeably superior in build quality. All told me they are built in the same facility by the same people but when I asked, for example, if I ordered a Soloist with EMG's instead of Duncans it becomes a "custom" order and will be like $1000 more than a USA select. I couldn't understand if all of the other materials and labour are the same how could this be $1000 more? One dealer told me the USA selects are only made when ordered too. It would be nice if Jackson would discuss this on their website.

Comment

Custom shop guitars receive more attention to detail and build time than any batch runs. Mine certainly will with $700 worth of upcharges to the necks alone. Time & Care invested into building a guitar = extra mojo. At least to me. Some people might not be able to tell a rush job from something that has just a little more time and effort put into it.

Some people can't tell the quality difference between a Kimber and a Les Baer, a Tag-Hauer and a Rolex, or Cadillac to a Rolls Royce. I'm not saying there's that kind of discrepancy in quality between a Select and a Custom, there really isn't a quality difference, but there is more labor invovled, and more attention to detail, because some things just require extra time and attention to complete.

My custom Warrior and KV are both great examples of how they just play and feel better than any of the dozens of USA Selects I've played. The feel and way they play shouldn't be any different... The KV has jumbo frets and a toggle instead of a blade switch. The Warrior just has slanted pickups. Other than that, they're identical to their USA counterparts. But they are. The only thing I can attribute to their better overall feel is the fact they had a little more time and effort put into their completion.

I think I've owned and played enough USA Jacksons to state there is usually something a little more special about a custom over a batch build. What is it? I can't really pinpoint that. But I'll argue to death that there is. What you choose to label it is your own choice.

Comment

Working...
                              X