Custom Shop vs USA Select

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Custom Shop vs USA Select

I have 4 CS guitars and a few regular productions guitars. I've had more of the regular porduction guitars, but I got rid of them all. The CS guitars all play better than any regular USA I've played. Not that the USAs are bad, just the CS guitars played a little better.

The CS NAMM RR that I have is the best playing, best sounding Rhoads I've ever played... and I didn't even spec it out! My tech said he was able to set the action lower on that guitar without any buzzing than on *any* guitar he has ever worked on.

Just my two cents...
    ...that the play is the tragedy, "Man"

Comment

I'm not trying to dispute whether custom shop guitars are better than the Select line. However, nobody seems to be able to say for certain what the exact differences are in manufacturing process that would make them better. Different materials? More labour? More skilled labour? More quality assurance? How do you know Selects are made in batches? Where does Jackson say that? The dealer I spoke to said even the Selects are made when ordered implying one at a time.

In this thread we have someone saying Jackson's have remarkable fretwork, in this thread we have someone saying they are known for lousy fretwork. It's confusing to someone like myself who is new to Jackson.

Comment

It's common knowledge that USA Selects are made in batches, just like the Limited runs.

The materials, unless custom spec'd, are from the same sources, the people making them are the same, they're built in the same 'assembly' style. Read my post again if you have any confusion about what I've said before.

I'd dismiss what that one person said. Charvels and Jacksons have excellent fretwork and have always been legendary for it.
        The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Yea CS Jacksons are known for remarkable fretwork.

So why did decide to get a custom for my first USA Jackson as opposed to a USA select? Several reasons. I love the Death Angel body style, I love archtops and I want a guitar that has the most tonal options possible. The best way I felt to do that was hand select the woods myself from my knowledge of wood tone coupled with a variety of pickups, wiring etc design the specs myself. The price isn't alot more for what I am getting so I feel it was worth the extra year of setting aside extra cash. If you tend to favor more traditional no frills guitar I think maybe a custom shop guitar isn't for you.

Comment

After having some 'no frills' customs make my #1, #2 and #3 main players, I'd have to disagree.

If you want the finest instrument Jackson would make, regardless of the configuration, a Custom order is the way to go, and it's not just about trading a Uxxxxx serial for a Jxxx number or an extra logo on the headstock.
            The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Working...
            X