Opinions needed...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions needed...

on bridges for a Custom Shop string thru. It's gonna be an arch top as well. The only string thru I've owned is my DKMGT, and I know theres gotta be better bridges than the JT-390 tune-o-matic thats on that. So opinions, pro's and con's of different bridges would be helpful in my coming to a decision on which bridge to use. This is a Custom, so I'm not sacrificing quality! Thanks for your input [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
    Paul
    Hear the universe scream
    Bleeding from black holes
    Whom horns careless
    And whom God mourns

Re: Opinions needed...

excuse my ignorance, but what is wrong with the JT-390?
    it's on the KV2T so it can't be that bad? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
    (I'm a floyd "user" myself...for now.)

- Rune.

Comment

The TOM bridge on the USA Select and custom guitars is a quality Gotoh unit. I have two guitars with it, and would have no concerns about ordering another one.

IIRC, others here have stated that the imports use a lesser-quality TOM bridge. Not sure who actually manufacturs them - pull it off your Dinky and see if there's a manufacturer logo stamped on the bottom. (The USAs have a Gotoh logo.) And it may be confusing, because Jackson has referred to both bridges as the "JT-390". [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

What do Gibsons use? They seem to have the right idea. I say you go for a TOM / Tailpiece combo. You can play with the tone by using an Aluminum or Zinc Tailpiece, have it low against the body, have it high, or top wrap the strings. This give you lots of options to fine tune the tone of your axe.

A string thru - not much you can do with that.

If you want to send more money, get a TonePros, but I'm pretty sure they use Gotoh to make there parts.

Comment

TOnePro's I believe are modded Gotoh bridges with the set screws installed to "add sustain" and keep the bridge mounted to the posts. It's a nice piece.
          RIP Donny Swanstrom...JCF bro
          RIP Dime

Comment

Tonepros is great, the only reason I didn't get one on mine is because of the added cost and really the Gotoh bridges are quite nice. Though its not a string thru I hear many good things about Badass bridges (they may make a string thru model, I don't know). So spill Paul, what crazy archtop body are you getting this time? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              excuse my ignorance, but what is wrong with the JT-390?
              it's on the KV2T so it can't be that bad? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
              (I'm a floyd "user" myself...for now.)

- Rune.

[/ QUOTE ]

not saying theres anything wrong, just that I've only experienced one first hand. I know there must be quality options I'm unaware of and I want to get it right the first time [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

As for the axe itself, I can't disclose just yet as I am mulling over some options. I can say it will be another 'Death' model, the body itself is not yet final [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
              Hear the universe scream
              Bleeding from black holes
              Whom horns careless
              And whom God mourns

Comment

Ooh, Archtop Death Kelly I hope! That would be a true one of a kind.

Comment

Unless you are a huge TonePros fan(for the record I am not, I don't think it makes any difference), get the standard Gotoh-made one with string-thru.

Comment

I'd go with the TonePros if for no other reaon than it won't fall off if you remove all of the strings. The price difference between the Gotoh and Tone Pros is probably less than $20 retail so I wouldn't think it would be a huge cost issue on a custom piece. I have a few guitars with Tone Pros stoptail & strung-through bridges and they tend to have great sustain but they're also big heavy guitars with big heavy Sperzel tuners on the headstock.

Re: Gibson bridges, wasn't someone just talking about a collapsed Gibson Nashville-style bridge here? If you go with that be careful of the string angle over the bridge, if it's too steep you might have that problem once in a while.
                    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

Tone Pros is a great way to go...you won't be disappointed.

Comment

Working...
                      X