Older Soloist Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Older Soloist Question

I have a 89 and its floyded with the recess but has the hump-the transition ones that were the non-recess design but with a recess. Anyway this is the brightest guitar I have ever had. So much so that it really cuts but lacks low end. Does the fact that the string height is more than say the 3 other USA bolt ons have anything to do with it.

Sorry to be vague- Is this common with the era(brightness.)

Any pickup recommedations to keep the brightness and ad low end-Got it it had an 81 and an SA. Now a JB and 59jr.

I know the JB is not the bassiest pickup but it came out of another bolt on USA I have and its night and Day.

Any insight is welcome [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Re: Older Soloist Question

I don't think it's that configuration that's causing the brightness. I also have an '89 Jackson that has the recess but has a non-recessed trem and don't notice it being overly bright.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

Maybe body wood-

Maybe I will swap a tone zone with the jb

Comment

Body wood and design.

The JB isn't notorious as a low end pickup. Very upper-mid to low-high boosted. Not even the greatest pickup for pinch/artificial harmonics either. I'd try a Super Distortion or an EMG 85 to get you a little more low end and some growl.

Or you could use an EMG 81 and use some kind of equalization... or the fact that the 81 is more tonally flat that you'll raise the volume of your amp a little higher to compensate, which would reveal a little bit more low end.
        The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Tone Zone

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            Tone Zone

[/ QUOTE ]
            +1
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

a tone zone would sound great in that guitar, i also have a few soloist's from that era and i use a tb-14 as well, but both pups will give you more bottom end

jon

Comment

Thanks guys- I will throw the tone zone in it.

Comment

let us know what you think of it please, everyone has a little different amp settings so i'm curious how it works out for you

thanks
                  jon

Comment

I recently put a Tone Zone in my 1989 Soloist and it sounds good. Plenty of bottom end, but I'm a Seymour Duncan guy and I'm gonna put a Duncan distortion TB-6 in it

I have a TB-6 in a 1988 Dinky and it kills!!! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

So over the weekend I swapped out the TB-6 in my dinky and put it my Soloist. Just like I thought, I prefer the TB-6. Now I need to get another TB-6 to put my Dinky back to where it was. Will this buying gear ever end?!?!?!? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Dave

Comment

Working...
                    X