Finally Pulled the Trigger! The Archtop DeathAngel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally Pulled the Trigger! The Archtop DeathAngel

So after like 2+ months of trying to get this thing finalized its finally in. I just sent Matt the finalized quote and I'll be putting the money down today. Back in the Death Angel thread I promised I would post the specs once it was finalized, so here we go.

Description: Bolt-on Guitar
    Body Death Angel RH
    6-string Guitar
    Body Wood: Koa (plain)
    Body top: Quilt maple 3/4"
    Body Binding: Natural - front
    Scalloped Heel: Yes Scalloped Horn: Yes
    Rear Control: Spec Shape Horn Switch: None
    Special Info About Body: Archtop
    Battery Cavity: None

Peghead Type: Jackson Reversed
    Neck Wood: Koa (plain) Head Cap: Quilt Veneer
    Fingerboard Wood: Zircote
    Nec k Nut Width: 1-11/16 Butt Width: 2-1/4
    Scale Length: 25.50
    Neck Shape: Speed 775-835

Fingerboard Inlay: Sharkfin Zig Zag
    Inlay Color: Abalone
    Name @ 12th: No
    Special Inlay Info: None

Binding: None Binding Color: None
    Binding Over Frets: No
    Num of Frets: 24
    Fret Wire: Jumbo SBB215
    Fret Scallop: None
    Special Info About Neck: None

Parts Color: Gold
    Strap Button: Std 17mm
    Jack Location: Side Jack Plate: Oval
    Hardware Tuners: Sperzel Even Locking LH
    Bridge: Tunomatic Recess Tremolo: n/a
    Tailpiece: Strings thru top ferrules
    Nut Type: Graphite
    Strings: 9-42
    Truss Rod Cover: Engraved

Pickup Brand: Duncan Pickup Route: H-SC-H
    Pickups Pickup Rings: Gold Pickup Covers: None
    Bridge Pickup: Custom Middle: Cool Rail Neck: Full Shred

Controls

Number of Knobs: 2Dome

1 --Volume 1 --Tone Other Pots: None
    Pickup Selector: 5-way Switch Positions: B-BN-M-MN-
    N
    Other Switches: 1-Mini Splitter

Kill Switch: None
    Placement: Sending Drawing Special Wiring: Mini toggle is DPDT ON
    Active Circuit None
    Pickguard: None None
    Special Parts Info: Gold finish Custom Shop Truss Rod Cover

Color: OTHER NATURAL FINISH (make entry)
    Artwork Provided Yes Painted Pickups? No
    Colo r Special Color Info: trans green burst (photo) with "natural" body binding
    Neck Paint: Gunstock Oil Head Paint: Same As Body
    Sig. on Head?: None
    Logo: Jackson Nineties Logo Size: 100%
    CS Logo: Yes Logo Color: Abalone

Case Case G&G Hardshell

So those are the specs. The only thing they would not do is I wanted a Gold Pearl logo and they said they would not use Gold Mother of Pearl, not sure why that is, so that was changed to abalone. The wiring caused the most problem. I wanted a very specific mini switch on this one and the custom shop had to call Seymour Duncan to find out how to correctly get it done. Their solution is pretty interesting, check it out here. Wiring Diagram
    And the color should come out awesome if they even get it close to what I'm looking for. Here is the color sample I sent them, Color Sample. As you can see its sort of a dark teal to emerald green burst.

I'm really excited about this guitar, its been about 3 or 4 years in the makings for me, saving and trying to nail down exactly all the specs, woods etc that I wanted.

Big thanks to Matt for all the help, GOR for the pickup suggestions and my friend Dave for letting me check out all the various woods he has on his guitars till I figured out the combination I was looking for.

Now I just have to wait a year or so. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Re: Finally Pulled the Trigger! The Archtop DeathAngel

Sounds cool - now you wait!!

Placing your first CS order is a little nerve wracking isn't it? I found even though I'd been over and over and over the specs, both in my head, then with Matt, then on the quote form, there's still those little "Oh my god, I didn't say I wanted a gold mini switch" type concerns! Having said that, I'm about to place another order, and I'm sure I'll feel the same way again [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    Popular is not the same as good
    Rare is not the same as valuable
    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Re: Finally Pulled the Trigger! The Archtop DeathAngel

Funny you mention about the hardware color on the mini, cause I was worried about that too, but the switch according to Matt is a switch from Ibanez ( [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]), so beggars can't be choosers. The hardware color is gold so if they can get it in that color I am sure they will. Ya still worry about the little things though, thats for sure! I was very suprised the custom shop had no problem with the fingerboard wood, I was sure that might be a sticking point. I never expected that the Gold mother of pearl thing would be the only thing they rejected. Maybe its hard to work with?

Comment

Re: Finally Pulled the Trigger! The Archtop DeathA

Holy crap man, that's gotta be one of the coolest customs I've heard of. Should be very kickass...congrats! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] One thing though, what's the wood on the fingerboard, I've never heard of it [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

Not my bag, but sounds cool nonetheless. Congrats.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            One thing though, what's the wood on the fingerboard, I've never heard of it

[/ QUOTE ]
            Thats one of the discoveries that I owe to my friend Dave. Zircote was a one piece neck/fingerboard on one of his warmoth customs. Its basically very similar to maccasar (streaked) ebony but has very cool spiderweb grain patterns. It feels very much like pau ferro (not as soft as rosewood, not as hard as ebony) but has a tone similar to ebony. Zircote

Comment

Cool [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Glad to see more people going for bolt-on Customs to save money for the other options - this way you can afford 2 at once like me [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

God I wish, I definitely am gonna get a Custom Charvel someday. I want at least one of each [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] But I also want to wait for that strathead option I know will be coming soon ( [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img] John, you hear me? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img])

But it took me 4 years to get enough money together for this one, so by the time I have money for another then we definitely should be able to get custom shop strathead charvels..I hope. Of course this is me your talking to so it won't just be a simple san dimas strat [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  [ QUOTE ]
                  One thing though, what's the wood on the fingerboard, I've never heard of it

[/ QUOTE ]
                  Thats one of the discoveries that I owe to my friend Dave. Zircote was a one piece neck/fingerboard on one of his warmoth customs. Its basically very similar to maccasar (streaked) ebony but has very cool spiderweb grain patterns. It feels very much like pau ferro (not as soft as rosewood, not as hard as ebony) but has a tone similar to ebony. Zircote

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, that's a nice piece of wood right there!

Comment

Dude, that's gonna be an excellent piece. Your specs are very tasteful and I dig the fretboard choice!

Scott
                    Looking for un-molested slant fretboard early USA & Pro Warriors!

Comment

Look into this for fretboard wood its on my Ken Lawrence explorer it would be top of the line in my opinion.

C&P from luthiers access group:
                      Grenadillo - Used for fretboards and figured tops, this wood is a hard closed-pore variety, much like Brazilian Rosewood.

Comment

I considered Grenadillo but the figure can vary widely and Grenadillo (known by most as Cocobolo for those wondering) is much brighter and I wasn't sure it would work with the colors on this particular guitar. I am actually most likely going to get a Cocobolo neck on the Charvel I plan to get down the road. Its one of the most beautiful woods in the world in my opinion and is probably one of the nicest to play on, very fast because the wood is oily like most rosewoods. It is however probably the most difficult wood to work with, it doesn't glue well and the dust is pretty brutal. Probably no big deal for Jackson as I am sure they have the right equipment to deal with stuff like that. Alot of people like it for fingerboards but in my opinion thats almost a disservice to the wood because when its finished (with even an oil finish) its hands down one of the most stunning woods you will ever see.

I assume Cocobolo is what your referring to. There is some confusion to what is really Grenadillo. Some experts actually refer to African Blackwood as Grenadillo, which looks very different, its like macassar ebony except has purple streaking instead of tan. But as I know it Grenadillo is a specific type of Cocobolo grown in a specific area of South America.

Comment

sounds nice man... [img]/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif[/img]
                          Hear the universe scream
                          Bleeding from black holes
                          Whom horns careless
                          And whom God mourns

Comment

Wow, you gotta post pics of this one when it finally arrives. [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Oh there will be pics and hopefully sound clips too if I ever get around to working out the home recording stuffs. Definitely pictures though, expect a striptease type thing just to tortue everyone [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X