New Englanders - Humidity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Englanders - Humidity

So, what's the head count on this board for players from New England, and how bad did the humidity affect your Jackson this past summer? I have to admit that the neck on my SL2HT was affected more so than either my two USA Strats, Japanese Charvel, or Taylor acoustic.

Sort of bothers me but I am well aware that every piece of wood is different even among identical models. To top it off, the humidity is still fairly high right now too. Gonna wait a bit before I tweak the truss rod.

Re: New Englanders - Humidity

Upstate NY, but no real problems this year.

I did have a strange one happen with a new custom Charvie I got in May. A few weeks after receiving it, the fret ends went sharp to the touch. I say "went" because, strangely, they weren't that way when I received the guitar.

I'm thinking it was the humidity because - sure enough - a few weeks later, the fret ends went back in and were smooth to the neck again. Maybe there was just an adjustment period where the guitar went "whoa, I want that nice SoCal environment again"? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] Then it eventually accepted reality that I wasn't gonna let that killer guitar go anywhere, and it was stuck here. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

No truss adjustments necessary or anything, though.

Comment

My Death Angel needs it's first tweakings. Humidity sucks.
      Hear the universe scream
      Bleeding from black holes
      Whom horns careless
      And whom God mourns

Comment

A few of my charvels move consistently with the change in seasons ...
        Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

The SL1 and the SG made it through unscathed, but the Ovation needs a bit of tweaking. Nothing major, though. The room where I play is in the basement so it stays pretty cool down there all summer.

Comment

all of mine moved a bit at the beginning of the summer, so I went to Home depot and got a big ass Dehumidifier and ran it all summer. My basement is finished and that's where I store my stuff (my jam room) so it stays cooler down there anyway and once I started running the dehumidifier they actualyy all moved back, so they good. My GMW may need a little tweak but the rest of mine are ok.
            A Dehumidifier is a great investment if you live in Mass.
            If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

I have several big movers that need neck adjustments every season..sucks but overall most are stable (my pointies are real stable)
              www.usacharvels.com - info, pics and Charvel guitar discussion board. All things Charvel
              My Charvel guitars - always one away from too many!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                all of mine moved a bit at the beginning of the summer, so I went to Home depot and got a big ass Dehumidifier and ran it all summer. My basement is finished and that's where I store my stuff (my jam room) so it stays cooler down there anyway and once I started running the dehumidifier they actualyy all moved back, so they good. My GMW may need a little tweak but the rest of mine are ok.
                A Dehumidifier is a great investment if you live in Mass.

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="orange"> "cough"....cases...."cough" </font> [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] <font color="orange"> !! </font>

Comment

hmm ..still move in the cases too bro ..they have to come put sometime and get hit with the humidity difference
                  Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

<font color="orange"> True but,mine are always cased & I never have much problem(if at any all)so....works for me bro!! </font>

Comment

Mine move a bunch, it's annoying as hell. I'm thinking about selling them and getting Parkers for that reason.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        Mine move a bunch, it's annoying as hell. I'm thinking about selling them and getting Parkers for that reason.

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh ..Parkers are made in Massachusetts even

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          <font color="orange"> True but,mine are always cased & I never have much problem(if at any all)so....works for me bro!! </font>

[/ QUOTE ]
                          Mine are always cased to Chuck. Remember Kristina is on the
                          Loose in my house. I never even leave them out on a stand for a minute.
                          If I'm not playing it, it's in the case, other wise, she will grab it and do what ever a 3 year old will do to a guitar! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
                          If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

Mine are always on my 3 stand, but I have a dehumdifier in the guitar area and it stays pretty consistently cool there.

I do have one guitar I keep at work for practice purposes (the warmoth) and that one I have to adjust every so often because I do like to sit outside near the terrace overlooking river and practice.

Comment

I always keep em in their coffins. Doesn't matter the humidity still gets there. Keeping them in their cases is a good practice though. For all those little "accidents" that can and eventually do happen. If not just for the finish alone.
                              Hear the universe scream
                              Bleeding from black holes
                              Whom horns careless
                              And whom God mourns

Comment

Working...
                              X