JRS1 vs. Soloist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JRS1 vs. Soloist

I'm checking out a JRS1 and a Soloist. The Soloist has some damage, but is still quite playable. The JRS1 is dead mint. They're approx the same price, also. I do like to go all over the place with tunings, which is why the JRS1 is appealing (Wilkinson rather than a Floyd). They're both under a grand, which makes the idea of passing on the Soloist even tougher. Anybody wanna help me out?

Re: JRS1 vs. Soloist

I can't remember on the JRS1, but if both the trems float, then both are going to be a hassle to re-tune. Arguably you're getting more of a guitar with the soloist, but it depends on the damage to the instrument.

Also, do you want the performance of a Floyd, neck-thru, additional pickups etc, or do you want the hot-rod Charvel type vibe of the JRS1?
    Popular is not the same as good
    Rare is not the same as valuable
    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

yes.. buy the Soloist and let me buy the JRS1 [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

The Soloist isn't super beat up, but has a couple big paint chips. As far as what I want performance wise, today I'll want 3 pickups, tomorrow I'll want 1, ya know? If the Wilkinson floats, I'd probably just block it.

I can think of reasons to go with both of them... God, I hate decisions like these. lol.

Comment

Dude, a JRS1, even tho a USA made Jackson can be had for well under 400 (when you do find them)
          Its a great axe, but not to far off from a JRS2 which are going for dirt cheap at times (usually 200ish, if not less). The only difference really is the neck..the USA series do have a well made feel, better than the import IMO.

Bottom line is a soloist (depending on the soloist model) usually has more value on the market than a JRS series. What kind of soloist and damage are we speaking of? Soloists are usually in the 600-1000 range for a SL1.

Comment

well, the JRS1 has a quartersawn neck, and the JRS2 not.. I'm lookin' already some time for a JRS1, can't find it..

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              Dude, a JRS1, even tho a USA made Jackson can be had for well under 400 (when you do find them)
              Its a great axe, but not to far off from a JRS2 which are going for dirt cheap at times (usually 200ish, if not less). The only difference really is the neck..the USA series do have a well made feel, better than the import IMO.

Bottom line is a soloist (depending on the soloist model) usually has more value on the market than a JRS series. What kind of soloist and damage are we speaking of? Soloists are usually in the 600-1000 range for a SL1.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, what he said. They ain't EVEN in the same price league. Better get a kiss from that dealer first, cause you're getting screwed.

Comment

Just because it has a Floyd doesn't mean you have to lock the nut...keep the parts in a zip lock in your case.....
                Bon Jovi is like a frozen Coca Cola.. It's cool, it's crunchy, but when all is said and done it is still pop....

Comment

The JRS1 is the kind of guitar that you buy for simplicity and because it has the features you want, not for versatility. It can't compete with a Soloist if you're comparing apples to apples. I have a couple of Soloists and love them. However, I'd like to get a JRS1 someday.

If the JRS1 has an ash body, and better yet an ash body with a transparent finish (trans black or black ivory), that's extremely cool right there and something you won't find on a Soloist. If you like the Wilkinson trem, that's another selling point. If neither of those factors matter, then I can't imagine the JRS1 being a wise purchase.
                  sigpic

Comment

my thoughts exactly Inazone, the JRS2 are worth the money they go for ($265-300).. my trans black ash JRS2 is a simple BEAUTIFULL guitar with a Wilkinson -which I like-.. my Soloist's are a class on their own in an a higher league, but for $400, give me that JRS1.. please.. I can't find any.

Comment

Thanks guys. I had absolutely no idea USA's could be had for around 4 bills.

Comment

Ya missed the prepro bullseye for less than 500.00 years ago. I paid around a JRS2 price for my JRS1, right about 250.00 with shipping. The bridge does float, most wilks perform best that way IMO. To me the JRS1 in stock form outperforms a stock JRS2....but one of my fav players is a JRS2 body with a stealth neck and a floyd nut. The trem is set up to float and it is very stable, it performs as well as if better than some of my floyds.
                        My JRS1 does not even compare in stability.

A JRS1 in great shape is a tempting buy, especially if you like a rev headstock, single hum setup. They are hard to find..but anything over 500.00 is more than I'd like to pay lest I had money to burn....but a guitar is a one time purchase if you love it enough..it's worth what you or someone else is willing to pay.
                        Maybe the seller is negotiable...most are.

Comment

Working...
                        X