JJ opinions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JJ opinions?

What's the general consensus on the early JJ models? I might have an opportunity to pick up a bolt on model like this one:

I would be selling my JJP and passing on another Charvel 750xl if this one came to fruition. What could I expect in terms of feel? I believe these were 25.5" scale, correct? Anyone want to chime in on some of the other important specs (other than the fact that it has 22 frets and the wrap around bridge, I'm not blind [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img])?

Re: JJ opinions?

I'm going to have one in a couple of days and can let you know then. I bought Chris Lantz' Tobacco Burst JJ with a wilk trem - very excited to try it.
    Tarbaby Fraser.

Comment

they have a very fat neck. i can tell you that.

Comment

I had one identical to the one pictured except that it had the stock JB pup. The neck profile on mine was a bit thicker and rounder than most Jacksons but not massive by any means. I've never cared for the JB and my opinion didn't change while the JJ was here. IIRC the neck has no plate and is attached with ferrules & the neck joint is relatively small for a bolt-on. It's the only Jackson model I've seen with a bone nut. Overall it was a comfortable guitar to play.

If I had to gripe about a couple of things they'd be: 1) the string spacing felt a bit tight, and 2) the wraparound bridge doesn't let you really nail the intonation adjustment but those were relatively minor gripes. I sold mine because I just didn't bond with the neck.
        Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

I bought Brad's. Contrary to Brad, I loved the wraparound bridge - the tone was great and it sustained wonderfully. The guitar was very good but honestly it pailed in comparison to my JJ2 neck through.
          I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

I am wanting a JJ2 so bad it hurts!! Jack.

Comment

Brad, how did the JJ compare to the JJP?

Comment

The neck profiles and string spacings felt very similar to me. Personally I thought the JJPs sounded better (though that was likely due to the JB in the JJ). The bolt-on JJs are very good guitars but if you don't like the neck on the JJP and if that's not due to the scale length I doubt you'll love the neck on the bolt-on JJs.
                Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

I like the neck on the JJP, it's very comfortable to play. I could use some bigger frets, but that's not a real issue. I can't remember what pickup is in the JJ now, it might be an Invader. All I know is that no matter what I would put in there, it would definitely not be a JB. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I actually do prefer the short scale, but I have no problem playing 25.5" scale either. I've got quite a few of each, so I really wouldn't have any trouble switching between the two.

By the way, anyone know what the fret size on the JJ's are?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    I bought Brad's. Contrary to Brad, I loved the wraparound bridge - the tone was great and it sustained wonderfully. The guitar was very good but honestly it pailed in comparison to my JJ2 neck through.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tim, what about the two necks made you prefer the JJ2?

Comment

The neck on the JJ2 is a soft V - the JJ I got from Brad was more like a Les Paul.
                      I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Did someone say... JJ?!!! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                        Sweet, Travis!!
                        I have nothing of value to add to this thread, don't mind me. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I had a USA Silver Sparkle bolt-on with 2 x Duncan hums (polepieces not blades) - not sure if that's a JJ1 or JJ2.
                          The quality was excellent as you'd expect, but the neck was far too big for my tastes (and I don't like skinny necks!) so it got sold....
                          Popular is not the same as good
                          Rare is not the same as valuable
                          Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Well, I like thicker necks, and I've never had a neck with a V shape. I've played a couple in stores, but never for very long. It looks like I'm going to have to think on this one. I could use another 750xl..........

Comment

Yo Trav,
                              I love the neck on my JJ2, I prefer wider necks anyway. Heh. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
                              I like the V shape as well because I can get some leverage with my thumb (I play classical style).
                              GetitGetitGetitGetitGetitGetit... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Cheers,
                              Emmy

Comment

Working...
                              X