Partial Floyd Recession

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Partial Floyd Recession

Does anyone have any Jackson guitars with a partial Floyd recession? I have a custom 22 fret from 1988 that has a surface mount Floyd with a partial area behind the Floyd routed out so you can pull up. I have never seen this on any other guitar. I know it is original because the factory graphic is painted over the whole front of the guitar.

Any thoughts?

Rock On!

Jim

Re: Partial Floyd Recession

How do you define "a partial area behind the Floyd"?
    Popular is not the same as good
    Rare is not the same as valuable
    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Think of typical surface mount Floyd. They are mounted higher up off the body. Think about what area of wood would have to not be there in order for you to be able to pull the trem up more than 1/8". It is pretty much just the area where the 6 allen screws would contact the body. Does that help?

Rock On!

Jim

Comment

That was pretty common on any of the floyd surface mount 88 and 89 guitars actually. It's just a body route so the locking screws don't bottom out on pull ups.
        We must!
        We must!
        We must increase the bust!
        The bigger the better!
        The tighter the sweater!
        The boys are counting on us!

Comment

So you have a Floyd which would float anyway, with an additional recess taken out of the face? Hmmm....
          Popular is not the same as good
          Rare is not the same as valuable
          Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Yeah, It's just a partial recession. I hate recessed Floyd's. This one feels the same as a surface mount, but gives you the option of pulling up. Kinda cool. Does anyone else have a guitar with this type of setup? Mine has the Jackson/Schaller Floyd on it. I'd love to see pics of others.

Rock On!

Jim

Comment

Yeah, I've seen that before. It's just some additional routing done behind the floyd so you can pull up more without the floyd hitting the body of the guitar. I had not seen this from the custom shop but it doesn't suprise me that it was an available option. Back in the 80's, I remember some people used to mod guitars this way.

Comment

I like it because it doesn't drop the Floyd down inside the body. Switching back and forth from a recessed Floyd to a surface Floyd takes a little adjustment. This gives you the best of both worlds. JMHO

Rock On!

Jim

Comment

the exclamation jackson dinky i have has tha same thing on it...definitely was available if you wanted it...d.m.
                  http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    Yeah, It's just a partial recession. I hate recessed Floyd's. This one feels the same as a surface mount, but gives you the option of pulling up. Kinda cool. Does anyone else have a guitar with this type of setup? Mine has the Jackson/Schaller Floyd on it. I'd love to see pics of others.

Rock On!

Jim

[/ QUOTE ]
                    I've got that route on my Charvel 3DRs. As was mentioned that seemed to be common on guitars made in 1988-1989
                    Occupy JCF

Comment

I've also got it on my 1989 RR... I don't know whether I prefer recessed or that route... well, it feels kinda cool anyway! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
                      https://www.facebook.com/cutupofficial

Comment

Yes I have it on my soloist-common on the years they started to change to the no hump neck through-mine has a hump and the recess

Comment

as far as i know, jackson started doing that on a lot of the guitars at the end of the 80's, mostly on 88 and 89 guitars.
                          The floyd is still in the same position off the body, but routed for extreme pull ups, not like the strings wouldn't flat out on the last frets before you could get that high anyway but....... [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

jon

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            I've got that route on my Charvel 3DRs. As was mentioned that seemed to be common on guitars made in 1988-1989

[/ QUOTE ]
                            same on my Charvel 550XL, made around the same time
                            Hail yesterday

Comment

How did you get the 1988? That route was most common on late 89 to early 1990 guitars... It was only a standard for several months and was quickly replaced by the full recessed.
                              The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Working...
                              X