Custom Shop Set Neck Jackson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom Shop Set Neck Jackson

Other than the SLS that was discontinued, does anyone have a CS Set Neck Jackson? I was thinking of my next CS being a set neck Soloist or JJ in 24.75 scale if they will make one? I love all mahogany set neck guitars, and why not a Jackson!! 1 Humbucker of course and a string thru tunamatic or tunamatic stop bar bridge. any thoughts? Jack.

Re: Custom Shop Set Neck Jackson

Do they even make set neck custom shops? I was kicking around the idea of a Charvel 750xl custom but I didn't think you could get set neck customs. Wonder what the price would be. Cheaper then a neck thru I would imagine but probably more than a bolt on?

Comment

Go for it. Weren't the 1st run of Soloists set neck? Or was the neck joint made to appear that way ala Spacey T's? I can't imagine the CS saying NO to a short scale set neck Soloist...
      "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
      Gotta get away from here.
      Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
      Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

The day the custom shop declines making a set-neck Soloist is the day they need to call it quits [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          Other than the SLS that was discontinued, does anyone have a CS Set Neck Jackson? ...

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the SLS were also neckthru... the Only Set necks I know of are the Older Imports (Archtop Pro, 750XL, Infinity) and the Swee-tones....

Comment

Yeah, the SLS is neck-thru.
            http://www.jacksonguitars.com/gear/g...no=SLS_Soloist
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Sorry for being a newb, but whats the difference between a Set neck and Neckthru? Set neck = the whole guitar is made off one block, while a neckthru is most likely the neck + middle and glued on sides? Im confused heh

Comment

Set neck means the neck has a little nib at the end that fits into an enclosed pocket in the body and is held in mostly by a good snug fit with glue to reinforce the grip.

Neckthrough means the entire neck from nut (or 3rd fret, since they always have a scarf jointed headstock down to the 2nd fret) to bridge/end is one piece (or 2 or 3 joined/glued pieces) with body wings glued on.

I don't know if Jackson has templates/jigs for set necks, so you may end up paying more than for a neckthrough if it takes longer or is more labor-intensive.
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Quite a few of the USA Archtop Soloists were set-necks, weren't they? I'm sure that Jackson is more than happy to build you one, though I agree with Newc that it'll probably cost you some serious $$$.

I've been toying with the idea of ordering a "Super 750xl," but it's probably easier just to get an original one.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    Set neck means the neck has a little nib at the end that fits into an enclosed pocket in the body and is held in mostly by a good snug fit with glue to reinforce the grip.

[/ QUOTE ]

the gibson les paul being the classic example.
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

Hrm quite a few seem interested in a 750xl custom. I smell limited run! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        Hrm quite a few seem interested in a 750xl custom. I smell limited run! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I know there was a 750XL and a 750Custom, bit I´ve never heard of an XL Custom before [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

But essentially it would be a Set-neck SLATQH.... the response on the last try at a CS small batch wasn´t exactly resounding...

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          Quite a few of the USA Archtop Soloists were set-necks, weren't they? I'm sure that Jackson is more than happy to build you one, though I agree with Newc that it'll probably cost you some serious $$$.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, USA Archtop Soloists would be neck-thru, either one piece, one piece with scarf joint, three piece, or multi-laminate.

You would have to order specifically as a "set-neck" in order to receive one.

Why would anyone want a set-neck when the neck-thru is an option is beyond me.

Set-necks allow for easier manufacturing of the neck and body seperately, and are usually joined after both are completed and ready to paint.

Neck-thrus are where the neck is one solid piece (or laminate) all the way from the fretboard to the end of the body past the trem.

Just thought I'd add that since there seems to be some confusion.
                          The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            Why would anyone want a set-neck when the neck-thru is an option is beyond me.

[/ QUOTE ]
                            Well, I think one reason would be for a little more warmth if you got a maple neck. For example, a maple neck-thru with mahogany body would yield a brighter sound since the maple goes all the way through the body. With a bolt-on or a set neck, they end at the body, so the body would contribute a little more in tone than the neck. Then again, if the neck is also mahogany like the body, it probably wouldn't really matter much either way.
                            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

is there a noticable difference in tone between an all mahogany setneck guitar and an all mahogany neck thru guitar?
                              with joints at the same fret, of course.
                              I doubt it since jackson's neck thru style uses two pieces for the center block, I think,

Comment

Working...
                              X