EMG pickups in a SLS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EMG pickups in a SLS

I just purchased a SLS, which by the way is the best guitar I have ever played, and wanted to replace the pickups. I have EMG 89s in all my guitars and purchased a pair for this one as well. I really like this model pickup. It turns out the pickup cavity is too small or the corners are too rounded for the EMG to fit. Has anybody else had this problem installing EMG pickups? The stock pickups are Duncans and the metal plate under the coils is pretty much hitting all four corners.

Mike

Re: EMG pickups in a SLS

yeah, my KV1 has this the same problem.
    It had SH4s which hab rounded metal plates for the screws.
    Even a newer Seymour Duncan didnt fit well, cuz it has egded screw plates.
    But it fits anyway. Just touches the wood

Comment

Thanks for the info. I was think about installing a sh4 instead of the emg. It has a sh-pg1 in it right now which sounds okay, but not great. I haven't completely made up my mind yet. What didn't you like about the sh4 and which model did you end up with that had a different plate on it?

Comment

uh, I'm just a rockie when it comes to PUs.
        I changed the Sh4 against a Screamin Demon. Than went to EMG-81, but aint happy with it all over. Have to try the 18volts version. The Demon and 81 are quite similar.

Maybe I'll swap the sh4 back again [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I'd also like to the diMarzio Air Zone

Comment

I think that the SLS is just great with the stock pickups. I would never change the PUs in my SLS [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

So... why is there no pics of your new SLS mjtripper?

Gotta have pics!

I swapped the pickups in my SLS to Dimarzio Super Distortion & Super II. Sounds great.

Comment

Oh yeah, gotta have a picture, forgot about that.

This is my first Jackson and I'm totally blown away by how good of a guitar it is. I've been looking for a neck through 24.75" scale fixed bridge guitar for a while and when I saw this I just had to have it. The fit and finish is just unreal and it's the best playing guitar I've ever played. I'm not very good at photography and the lights in here are pretty bad so this picture kind of sucks. It doesn't come across in the picture but the top looks really sharp. I could go on and on about how much I like it so I better just stop now.

The stock pickups aren't bad, I was just looking for something a little more. I like the neck pickup better then the bridge though. I have EMG 89s in all my other guitars but since they don't fit I was thinking of trying the jb/jazz combo that seems so popular.

Comment

I thought the Pearly Gates was a bit too "glossy" sounding.

I like the 59 as well.

Thanks for the pic! They are incredible guitars. Mine is Burnt Cherry Sunburst... and BusDriver has the same color as you I believe.

Tooling has one for sale in Natural.

I think that might be all of us USA SLS owners on the board.

Comment

Do you have a picture of yours online? So far the only ones I have seen pictures of are the one on Jackson's website, a blue custom, and another like mine. Nobody in my area even carries the US Jacksons. I'm not completely sure but I think mine is called violin brown.

Comment

Nice, I have exactly the same one [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Like yours pics just do not do it justice.

Close up

Now B.D. has to post some. (we do this every month it seems) [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        Now B.D. has to post some. (we do this every month it seems) [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

This time I dug out a recent thread [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
                        http://www.jcfonline.com/ubbthreads/...&Number=598481

Comment

Man, that one on the left rocks!! Is that a quilt top? How about a close up of that one? What model is that? I don't know much about the Charvels or Jacksons yet. Are either of those other two 24.75" scale? All three just look great.

Comment

Hey VanOsbourne, what is the middle one? Nice flame on it! And mjtripper, congrats on the new USA! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

if you take a small dremel tool you can "shave the pickups" to allow them to fit. I had to do the same to my KV2 when I put the Livewires in it...
                              it doesnt take much
                              Piney Hills New Site <------Clicky Clicky

CALL THE SHOP @ 318.232.3002

instock inventory

Comment

Working...
                              X