24.75" scale Jacksons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 24.75\" scale Jacksons

I have my third one on the way. These are very kick-ass guitars. Don't rule out the Charvel Fusions as well, they have models without the middle pickup that seems to get in the way.

Comment

I think you guys have convinced me my next purchase will be a fusion of some sort. It seems everybody says the US Jacksons, early Jackson Pros, or any of the Charvels would be good. There seem to be two different Charvels, one with a h/s/s and one with a h/s where the single coil is slanted. Is the only difference between those two Charvels the pickup configs?

Comment

I think there are even more combos of Charvel Fusions. The Charvel Fusion Deluxe has H-S (slanted) - that's one I have. I also have a Charvel Fusion Deluxe body mated to a Jackson Professional neck (bound ebony and MOP sharkies). Great guitar.

All three of mine are made in Japan and I have no issues with any of them.

Last night I was comparing my Charvel Fusion Deluxe to my newer DK-2. The DK-2 has a fatter neck and seemed slower to me. I was all over the fretboard with the skinny Fusion neck.

In fact, Fusion necks are some of the thinnest Jackson has made. Something to consider if you don't like really thin necks.

Comment

All the Charvel fusions have the same neck though don't they? It seems the Jackson fusions don't, there is the US, the early Pros, and the later Pros. I've seen a couple Jacksons with dot inlays instead of the sharks and I don't know which those are yet. I'm trying to get a crash course on the Jackson/Charvel Fusions.

Actually I have really small hands which is why I only play short scale guitars. I like the thin necks of the Jacksons, I just wish I found them earlier. I've been playing Gibsons for years because I got tired of looking for other short scale guitars. Besides the Jackson I just got my newest guitar is an 82 Gibson. I never really liked the 24" scale Fenders, I even tried taking that neck and putting it on other bodies.

Comment

Good question, what are all the differences with Fusions??
            mjtripper: Warmoth makes 24.75" conversion necks to fit fender type bodies.

and when people say thin neck, do they mean thin from fret side to the back, or edge of fret to other edge of fret?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              and when people say thin neck, do they mean thin from fret side to the back, or edge of fret to other edge of fret?

[/ QUOTE ]
              Generally when we say "thin neck", we mean from the fret side to the back.

Comment

They are thin, I believe they are the thinnest necks Jackson made, I personally like em, Heres my current fusion line up, Left to Right, Jackson Fusion HH in trans red mahogany body, Jackson Fusion pro blue burst flame maple, Charvel Fusion plus, sunburst, ash body, Charvel Fusion Special
                the HH is the cheapest of the 4, standard Jackson hardware and electronics, the Pro is a super guitar Schaller trem good electronics, including on board 9v. wah control, ebony board, mop logo and fins. the Charvel Fusion Plus is a damn nice guitar also, schaller trem, I think if you need a HH fusion this is the one to get, much better than the Jackson fusion HH, The Charvel special was put together out of parts, EMG 85 and SA, there are still more versions out there,
                I say the boy ain't right!

Comment

That's a nice line up you have there! It even helps clear up some of the model line up for me. I might try to pick up a cheap one to see how I like the design but I think the one I really want is one with an ebony fingerboard, shark inlays, h/h pickups, and a recessed floyd.

I've used the Warmoth conversion necks before but you can't get them in 24 frets, or at least you couldn't then and most short scale guitars have a slightly smaller body which makes them a lot more comfy for me. I gave up on the neck through 24 fret short scale floyd guitar quite a while ago.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    They are thin, I believe they are the thinnest necks Jackson made, I personally like em, Heres my current fusion line up, Left to Right, Jackson Fusion HH in trans red mahogany body, Jackson Fusion pro blue burst flame maple, Charvel Fusion plus, sunburst, ash body, Charvel Fusion Special
                    the HH is the cheapest of the 4, standard Jackson hardware and electronics, the Pro is a super guitar Schaller trem good electronics, including on board 9v. wah control, ebony board, mop logo and fins. the Charvel Fusion Plus is a damn nice guitar also, schaller trem, I think if you need a HH fusion this is the one to get, much better than the Jackson fusion HH, The Charvel special was put together out of parts, EMG 85 and SA, there are still more versions out there,

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool Fusion collection! Second from left looks great, even greater it would be if it was black... [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      Besides the Jackson I just got my newest guitar is an 82 Gibson.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this yours?
                      http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWN%3AIT&rd=1

Anyhow, I have 5 Gibsons - a 1996 Classic Premium Plus, a 2002 Std. 60s neck, and an R0. Two SG's, a 1963 SG Special, and a 1998 SG Std.

The Gibsons are a totally different world from these Jacksons in the way of neck thickness and feel (trem vs tailpiece, jumbo frets). My 1963 has the perfect shredder neck on it. If I were to special order a guitar, I'd have them copy this profile. Wide C shape, and thin.

Comment

Nope, I'll never sell my Gibson. It was my first real guitar and I'm pretty attached to it. Even if I never play it again I'll still hold on to it. I got a really good deal on it at the time as well because a friend of my parents was helping me get started. I was pretty young when I got that and didn't really understand the value of things. He has since passed on but I have tried to return the favor by selling some of my less used instruments for practically nothing to some kids I know either starting out or in bad need of a new one and probably wouldn't get one any other way. Nothing of great value but they were good players even if a little broken in. They all still play and shoot me a note every so often. At times that Gibson restores my faith in the human race.

Your right about the older necks though. A lot of people don't know the old shapes were that much better - well to me they are anyway. Mine has been reshaped as much as possible and it plays a lot better. Plus now I have an oiled neck. I was shocked when I played a new one recently at how bad the neck was. Mine has an ebony board as well and at the stores I went to I didn't see a single one with ebony, another surprise.

Comment

I guess I mis-read your previous quote. I thought you had just "bought" a 1982 Gibson.

Ebony isn't an option on LP's because most people who buy Les Pauls want an LP like the classic burst (rosewood). Gibson made a special run of LP's recently - the "LE" model for those who want ebony. Ebony is still standard on a Custom and the Elegant models.

As far as cheap guitars to donate, there is someone on this board who has hundreds to choose from and is buying new ones everyday. He hangs out in the e-fraid forum.

Comment

I had many Fusions, and all of them had way too thin necks for me. My next CS Jackson will be a 1 Hum Fusion with a larger neck profile. Jack.

Comment

how can you tell if its a fusion. especially just from ebay pictures? I have a tuff time identifying J/C models

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                                That's a nice line up you have there! It even helps clear up some of the model line up for me. I might try to pick up a cheap one to see how I like the design but I think the one I really want is one with an ebony fingerboard, shark inlays, h/h pickups, and a recessed floyd.

[/ QUOTE ]

like this one? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Unfortunately, there was no production Fusion that satisfies all your criteria. The only ebony-boarded models were both Jacksons, the US and the Japanese made Pro, and both had H-S-S pickups. There were a few different models with a H-H setup, but only with rosewood fretboards.

I also have a Fusion Plus (similar to FusionFarmer's tobacco burst pictured above, only a Jackson) and it's a great guitar. It has offset dots and a very dark rosewood board. If you were that way inclined, you could pick one up and have sharkfins added, since the dot inlays are all to the bass side of the fretboard.
                                Hail yesterday

Comment

Working...
                                X