• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: rosewood on an RR1?

looks like ebony to me.

hope this helps you a bit.

Comment

FTR, the easiest way to differentiate is to see if the pores on the board are open, like this:

ignore the color in the pic, but does the grain look like that? if so, it's rosewood. if not, it's ebony. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

sully
      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
      Sully Guitars on Facebook
      Sully Guitars on Google+
      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Sorry for off topic, but can you make some more pics of the whole guitar? And some od them from the back of the guitar.
        Thans

p.s. this guitar is sooooooo beautiful [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

There's pores/cracks which is what threw me off since the fretboard on my other Jackson is much more smooth, dark, and doesn't have any pores/cracks. I also did think ebony cracked... does it? As far as the grain goes, it doesn't look like that. And thanks for the comment philmorris. Here's some more pics.
          If you're flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit. Unless you are a table.

Comment

Thanks for the pics, that is very beautiful looking guitar. And gold hardware is nice add

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              There's pores/cracks which is what threw me off since the fretboard on my other Jackson is much more smooth, dark, and doesn't have any pores/cracks. I also did think ebony cracked... does it? As far as the grain goes, it doesn't look like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

if it doesn't look like the grain pores in the pic i posted, i'm gonna say it's ebony. ebony certainly will crack; grab yourself some boiled linseed oil and oil the board at your next string change. there's a sticky topic on fretboard oiling in the tech section.

sully
              Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
              Sully Guitars on Facebook
              Sully Guitars on Google+
              Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Looks like ebony to me. Here's a shot of an ebony board that the previous owner had neglected, never cleaned and allowed to dry out:

Here's the same area of the same fretboard after I polished the frets and cleaned & oiled the fretboard:

The fact that the first shot was taken indoors with a flash while the second was taken in natural light heightens the difference a bit but you get the idea.
                Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

wow, that change in colour is unbelivable

Comment

It's partly the photos. Try taking a low-angle flash closeup of an ebony board sometime, it won't come out pitch black.
                    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

In how many months does ebony board dry out if you don't put oil on it?

Comment

I'd imagine that the time frame will vary greatly with the particular piece of wood in question and the conditions in which it is stored. E.g., I have an '85 RR Custom that's never looked dry, I bought it in '85 and I've oiled it maybe twice since; I also have a SLATQM that's only a few years old and the ebony on that one looks dry the day after it's oiled.

Comment

such a sweet rr1! love the gold

Comment

Thanks for all the info and thanks DMS. Is there a specific type of oil that works good? Also, bit afraid to try this, but are you supposed to use steel wool or something? I read it in the Jackson manual and on a bottle of fretboard oil (don't think it's the same stuff you're using).
                            If you're flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit. Unless you are a table.

Comment

The last 2 new Jackson guitars I bought had dried out ebony as standard fare.
                              Scott
                              Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Where did you get them?

Comment

Working...
                                X