Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If anyone remembers my $250 CS Soloist...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If anyone remembers my $250 CS Soloist...

with the hideous spray can "refin", well, it appears that at least part of the original finish is still intact!

Here's a pic I took when I got it:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...12999402torfRq

I finally got around to messing with the finish, and managed to removed some of Vincent van Krylon's work at bottom of the neck. Since the neck is factory oiled, the paint stops just before the neck starts. I noticed it was *really* thick there, so I took a knife and lightly peeled off the top coat to reveal a beautiful streak of white.

Why is white so beautiful? Well, when we look at the warranty card and the inspection tag, we see this listed as the finish:

"Snow White w/ Lettering"

[img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img]

I'm dancing with joy right now, whilst simultaneously praying like a madman that the "lettering" is still alive under this blue and red abomination.

Now, since this spray finish has shown itself to be removed so easily, I'm thinking I might not need to be as aggressive with the finish removal as I'd originally though. Can somebody recommend a product that will allow me to take off the remaining topcoat, while minimizing potential damage to the REAL finish?

Thanks in advance for any help!

-Joseph

Re: If anyone remembers my $250 CS Soloist...

Joe, pic ain`t working. As a side man, do you still have my old Fusion? Jack.

Comment

joe, if it's rattle can spray paint, you can take it right off with some mineral spirits or naptha.

sully
      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
      Sully Guitars on Facebook
      Sully Guitars on Google+
      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Don't know why people do that. I have a US peavey that the guy didn't even remove the trem or pickups first. It does mean cheap guitars for us though.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          As a side man, do you still have my old Fusion? Jack.

[/ QUOTE ]

PowerTube bought it from me around Thanksgiving.

Comment

Do you have a picture of it now?

Comment

Very cool. Good luck - can't wait to see what the lettering is, if it's still intact.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                Do you have a picture of it now?

[/ QUOTE ]

It looks pretty much the same at the moment. I still have to pick up some really fine steel wool (thought I had some, but couldn't find it), but I'm planning on taking pics of the stripping process once I get started.

Comment

Working...
                X