Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Duncan Custum vs Duncan Dist. for an RR1?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duncan Custum vs Duncan Dist. for an RR1?

im considering replacing the EMG's in my RR1, instead of selling the guitar.

i already have a JB in my shannon, so im considering either a Distortion or a custum.

what do you think?
    Guitars:
    Jackson USA Shannon Soloist (blk)
    Jackson USA Custom Shop SL2H white/Silver Ghost Flames
    Bernie Rico Jr. Hybrid Vixen (blk)
    BC Rich NJ Gunslinger

Amp:
    ENGL Powerball -> ENGL Pro Cab 4*12(V30's)

Re: Duncan Custum vs Duncan Dist. for an RR1?

the custom has a bit of scoop to it.
    the distortion has loads of mids and highs and not so much bass.
    Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

I would suggest the Distortion. To my ears, the Custom isn't drastically different from the JB. I had one in a Soloist Pro and didn't like it, so I replaced it with a Full Shred. My brother had a Distortion installed in his Charvel 650XL and it sounds fantastic.
      sigpic

Comment

Depends a lot on the wood of the guitar also. I have a mahogony with maple top guitar and the custom sounds great. I also love the custom in my alder body guitars. I think you should just try them both out and see what sounds better to you.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          I would suggest the Distortion. To my ears, the Custom isn't drastically different from the JB. I had one in a Soloist Pro and didn't like it, so I replaced it with a Full Shred. My brother had a Distortion installed in his Charvel 650XL and it sounds fantastic.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow that's different .. to me a custom and a JB are 2 totally different pu's tonewise ..

I had a JB in my Jake and I hated the tone of it..I put a custom in and now I'm extremely happy ..Sully could tell ya I'm not a huge fan of the JB to begin with
          Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

Definately the Custom. The Distortion is a pretty harsh pickup to begin with, but it is even harsher in V's. V's tend to have a lot of bite, while lacking more in the low end, because so much wood is missing behind the bridge area. The Custom will add a fair amount back in, while the Distortion will just add to the problem.

Comment

I hate the JB and the Custom is in my opinion very different. Its a very tight bridge PU, its got more bass to it than the distortion.

I have a distortion that I am replacing with a custom McGinnis soon, mostly because I didn't like the Distortion lack of low end punch. Its not a bad pickup, its just not the best metal pickup IMO. I think your amp may play a big part in that though.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                Depends a lot on the wood of the guitar also. I have a mahogony with maple top guitar and the custom sounds great. I also love the custom in my alder body guitars. I think you should just try them both out and see what sounds better to you.

[/ QUOTE ]

+1 [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

The one thing about the custom is you can turn the pup volume down from like 10 to 9 and the pup gets tight and dynamic ie. you can get more tone with your fingers instead of having to use so much gain on the amp.
                PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

I have 2 identical guitars, one with a JB, and one with a Custom. The custom sounds much more punchy, and dynamic, wherase the JB sounds darker, and possible a tad smoother. I would definitely go with the Custom over the JB given a choice.

I would also suggest you try a SH13 Dimebucker. I have one in my RR1, and it kicks serious ass. It's actually very similar to the Custom, but a little hotter.
                  Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

JB for leads, Custom for rhythms
                    "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      I hate the JB and the Custom is in my opinion very different. Its a very tight bridge PU, its got more bass to it than the distortion.

[/ QUOTE ]
                      + 1. [img]/images/graemlins/stupid.gif[/img] And while I've never used a Distortion, Travis here says that that Custom is more like a "Distortion Lite".
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Custom or Custom-Custom.......

Shawn
                        Spin the black circle.

[email protected]

Comment

the custom is a distortion lite in the sense that it has slightly less output; the tonality is different. is you want more low end, get a custom. i also recommend trying out a few different models if you can.
                          Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                          Sully Guitars on Facebook
                          Sully Guitars on Google+
                          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

It seems to me if you want the low end and high output try a Dimebucker. It seems based on what I've heard similar to a custom but it has higher resistance.

Note I have not tried a Dimebucker yet, this is just based on what I've been told. I want to try one though, sounds like a good pickup for metal riffin.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              It seems to me if you want the low end and high output try a Dimebucker. It seems based on what I've heard similar to a custom but it has higher resistance.

Note I have not tried a Dimebucker yet, this is just based on what I've been told. I want to try one though, sounds like a good pickup for metal riffin.

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends largely on what guitar you put it in. I originally put it in my Yamaha Weddington, which is a thick Les Paul type guitar, mahogany body and neck with a thick maple cap. It sounded horrible. It was grainy, and rough sounding. I was thinking about selling it, or trading it for another Custom, but I put it in my RR1 instead, and it sounds totally different. It's a fantastic pickup for heavy distortion metal.
                              Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Working...
                              X