Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long does it take to process a CS quote?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How long does it take to process a CS quote?

I know very little about the business, but I do know Warmoth and Carvin are doing it much faster, and their quality of woods, production, etc. isn't a hair below Jackson's.

Comment

bibz - so you think the guys choosing woods at Carvin & Warmoth are any less talented than the guys at Jackson?

Are you saying there's no room for improvement at J/C's CS?

This is what I'm talking about, your dedication to the J/C brand is priceless, and they're dropping the ball by not delivering a better customer experience to you and everyone else.

They can do better, and you (we) deserve better.

Comment

Byeh1.... How `bout you go else-where and play
        "Mr. Business".... I for one, ordered a Custom shop King V in 1988.... It took 8-months then... The quality was unmatched as it is today.... You cant fuk with a company that has the track record as Jackson.

A~
        All hail the 'King'
        R.I.P~ RLC

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          I'm highly confident Ron or any other of the senior guys on JCF would get CS orders done correctly in a matter of days, not months. Ignoring the obvious bottlenecks in production, cutting 2 months out of lead times means an additional 16.7% (2/12) sales capacity. If that means just an additional 30 CS guitars per year, at $2500 to J/C per CS guitar, that's $75,000 in additional sales per year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lesee .. All my CS have taken between 6 months and 1 year so I don't know where you base your facts from
          Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

Not facts Kev, just assumptions. But if lead times are shorter say 8 months on average (using your numbers), then a 2 month reduction in lead times means 25% more sales capacity, so the improvement is even more pronounced.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              Ignoring the obvious bottlenecks in production, cutting 2 months out of lead times means an additional 16.7% (2/12) sales capacity. If that means just an additional 30 CS guitars per year, at $2500 to J/C per CS guitar, that's $75,000 in additional sales per year.

[/ QUOTE ]

coming into this one late....But....
              Where's the data supporting a margin of $2500/unit on a CS guitar? And is your 2 month lead time an arbitrary amount for sake of discussion to drive a 16.7% increase in sales?

Additionally, I believe you're making a sweeping generalization on the increased sales capacity.

A 2 month reduction time to plan/manufacture a guitar may not equate to a direct increase in sales. The sales "benefits" related to a reduced turnaround time may be in fact allocated to procuring additional PP&E, sourcing additional capacity (human, site or otherwise), or used to drive/improve other processes such as accounting or data management systems, none of which would directly translate to the guitar manufacturing.

I would LOVE to have a CS Jackson in 4-6 months - as long as the inherent qualities that characterize a CS Jackson are present.

Operational efficiencies lesson over for today. See me after class for extra credit. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I'm up against this same debate every day in my business. People don't realize that true custom hand built quality takes time. If you want fast food go to McDonalds!
                My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  It doesn't take a genious to realise we are all here because of the quality work they have maintained throughout the fads, owners, and competition changes.
                  As had been said, making them quicker means giving the people less options. And turning down people can be a stupid, stupid mistake. Go ask Dean about Randy...

[/ QUOTE ]
                  I disagree with the first point and agree with the second.
                  first, you can't be exclusively good with quality. carvin's quality is very good. so we are not here simply because they have good quality. it's the designs. the things you can have trade marks on, exclusively. i.e. sharky inlays, RR shape, espee's new alexi RR looks terrible. so does warmoth's V2. carvin's pointed head stock is pretty ugly, too. why? if they get it right, jackson's, and now fender's corporate lawyers are gonna have their asses handed to them.
                  on the other point, yes speeding up CS would lead to limited options like custom shape, finish, neck carve, fret board radius, etc. maybe 80% of us are happy with standard specs. but being a premium shop in the good ol' USA they can't limit these real CS services.

Comment

Meh. Whatever. You guys with the grandiose "business improvement plans" are basically talking out your @sses. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Me? I'm just going to enjoy the guitars. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      Meh. Whatever. You guys with the grandiose "business improvement plans" are basically talking out your @sses. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

...mmm...Pat, I think you meant A$$es! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
                      And yeah...I would LOVE to "just" enjoy ONE of those CS guitars, except that they take so LONG to create (fans flames) [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] ...whoops I slipped! [img]/images/graemlins/nono.gif[/img]
                      mike

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]
                        Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          Carvin won't build you ANYTHING you want. Jackson will.

[/ QUOTE ]

While I agree that Jackson has many more options, they will NOT build you ANYTHING you want. There are many things they won't do for a variety of reasons.

The Carvin comparisons are still pretty valid IMO though. I see tons of CS Jackson guitars that are basic variants of standard models. It's pretty rare that you see custom body shapes. Most custom guitars I've seen get very standard routing. So while it is true that Jackson will make many of your crazy dreams a reality, from what I've seen of Jackson guitars for the last 20+ years has been that it's pretty rare to see something that is really all that outlandish at all - usually it's just nifty paint jobs or inlays and I completely understand how times can vary drastically in those situations.
                          I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            [ QUOTE ]
                            Carvin won't build you ANYTHING you want. Jackson will.

[/ QUOTE ]
                            So while it is true that Jackson will make many of your crazy dreams a reality, from what I've seen of Jackson guitars for the last 20+ years has been that it's pretty rare to see something that is really all that outlandish at all - usually it's just nifty paint jobs or inlays and I completely understand how times can vary drastically in those situations.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup,it's the same old shit just a different day. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Fong

Comment

I just got my latest custom shop and it took somewhere around 21 months to get to me. Final inspection date was in August of last year, with a completed photo getting to me a couple months later, and I just received the axe 2-3 weeks ago. If it was actually done in August, why did it take 5-6 months to get to me? That's a mystery I'd like to have answered! But the guitar was perfect to specs - even better than I could have hoped. My dealer and Jackson obviously truly cared about getting it right. It was an unusual order which I expected to take longer than the norm and you bet it was worth the wait and one option on the guitar was something no other company (except GMW) could deliver. The one previous to this, and ordered along with it, was delivered 2 months earlier than they estimated last year (also perfect).
                              As far as my quotes on these and others, going back 1-2 years, I did get some quotes back in 1 day! On others it took a week or two and one fairly eleborate quote took about 6 weeks to finally be nailed down.
                              For outlandish/unusual/odd/unique orders, keep in mind that most people don't really order these kinds of guitars. A lot of guys order practical or affordable stuff and many people just aren't that creative or think about how to make their guitar really one of a kind. Some people will base off a standard USA Select and just change a few minor things. With Jackson, I have found them willing to do every single thing I've wanted and I hope to push the envelope a little more in the future. I get fairly creative with my ideas but I also like to stay within some of Jackson's parameters and signature build specs. Something I'd be interested in knowing is what percentage of custom shop quotes submitted actually get ordered! Lots of people bail out due to not knowing what they really want, what can be built, or price shock and that wastes a lot of time. That's my rambling for the night.

Scott
                              Looking for un-molested slant fretboard early USA & Pro Warriors!

Comment

Scott, fair enough. And at the risk of being characterized as someone who either, "bases (their order) off a standard USA Select and just changes a few minor things" or "(someone who) bails out due to not knowing what they really want, what can be built, or price shock and that wastes a lot of time", could you elaborate on what you requested that was really "out there"? Pictures would help me a lot! [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

I ask because right now, I've got a RR1 Custom that I'm considering that (at first) was basically a USA select w/ a few tweaks to binding and inlay color and has now evolved into something like this:

Some of the "non-conventional" requests would be to have stainless steel frets, hard abalone inlays and logo, coil tap switch that splits the hums, and the dragon's body stretching over to the back. Additionally, it's to be a 2H not 1H. I removed the neck p/up to show the graphic head.

My issue is less the sticker shock, but ensuring that Mike Kotzen and Company really understand what I want. However, the dealer I'm working with is either not as knowledgeable (as others), lazy, not as "tied in" to the CS (as others) or all of the above. I really want to be able to discuss my order w/ someone at the shop before laying down the $$$. Many have suggested changing dealers, which is a possibility.

However, how did you communicate and confirm your preferences on your CS orders to ensure your expectations were met?
                                thanks.
                                mike [img]/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                                X