Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long does it take to process a CS quote?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long does it take to process a CS quote?

Can anyone tell me how long it usually takes for for a Custom Shop quote to be processed and passed back to a dealer? Thanks.

Re: How long does it take to process a CS quote?

The entire process for me took about 2 months. But this was after Summer NAMM, so there was some delays that made it longer than the norm. It also depends on the specs of the guitar. My guitar was fairly complicated.

Keep in mind I doubt you will get it in one. Invariably they change something and don't explain why, or there is some miscommunication and a detail is missed. I think it took about 4 or 5 passes before it was nailed down. And there was a long gap in between while Jackson figured out how to do the custom wiring for mine.

Comment

the biggest barrior between me and my dream jackson is not the money. it's the 15months wait time!
      having known myself pretty well, I know my life is gonna be more miserable after I place the order and before I actually get it. every morning when I wake up I'd be like: " man, if I died before I get my custom shop jackson that would be the biggest regret of my life!"
      I've been between going for it and settling for a USA select for a while now. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Comment

Hey hey. Don't worrie about the wait. Look at it like this...If you do or do not place the order the 18 months or so will come no matter what. 18 months from now if you did not place the order, you will be thinking damn, my guitar would have been here by now. You have other guitars you can play in the mean time. Just think how cool it's gonna be when you get the call and they say it's on the way. Good things come to those who wait (and all that other gay stuff). DO IT!!! You will love the experience.
        LATER!!!
        H3LL IS HOME!!!

Comment

It took a while for my first one. Too many factors as your dealing with a dealer who in turn is dealing with one person at the custom shop. If yours is very different and has a lot of options it could take a while.

It's worth the wait.
          http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

It only took me a few weeks to get to quote turned into a WO. Mine is an arch top wiht a few special requests. It's done know and almost on it's way to the dealer. It took 18 months. I twas a long wait, but I'm glad I did it when I did.

Go for it.
            "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Comment

You mean just to get a spec sheet and price quote, right? Not to build the actual guitar. If so, expect it to take several weeks. Perhaps as long as a couple of months.

I submitted two custom orders on the first day of NAMM. The first one went through a couple of revisions already, but is basically done now. Still waiting on a final work order for it, though.

And I just received a first cut at a spec sheet and price quote on the second custom order today. It needed some corrections, so there will be at least one more version before being signed off. And several prior custom orders have taken similar turnaround times.

I love ordering custom shop Jacksons and Charvels. But I must admit that I find the process of just getting your order placed is the least pleasant part of the whole experience.

I can patiently deal with the year-long build time for a custom guitar. (...And average build time is about a year - not 18 months.) But to have to wait several weeks, or even months, just to do the paperwork - which, of course, adds even more to the wait time [img]/images/graemlins/eyes.gif[/img] - is frustrating. They really need to hire an intern, data entry help - or whatever is needed - to alleviate the wait time for this stuff. Someone or something is obviously overloaded. It's lame-o.

Not saying we should expect to see custom order paperwork turned around in a day or two. That's not realistic. But a couple of weeks or so - tops - should be plenty of time to handle it.

Anyway, I'm probably whining too much. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Otherwise, I highly recommend it. There's nothing quite like having your dream guitar built to your exact wants & needs. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                it's the 15 months wait time!

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, how "dramatic" is your CS gonna be? Reason I ask is, if you read the NAMM threads, I asked both Walker & Kotzen about this and I was told that 2 luthiers were hired recently expressly to assist Mike Shannon and Pablo on CS WOs. They are targeting "10 - 12 months" for lead times.

In fact, I just checked my notes; Mike's assistant is "Red Dave" and Pablo's is "Enrique" (who has been with Jackson a while)

Hope this helps in your decision.
                "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I was told 12 months when I ordered mine, it took 18. But they actually built in 6. After my fiasco getting straightened out they started it in April or May of last year and finished it in November.

I would like to see 10-12 months but I am skeptical until it happens. I would rather plan for 14 and be pleasantly surprised.

Comment

It took me 4 months to get the quote, but I know it was all due to me changing the specs as I learned how each different spec related to the others, physically and tonally.

Can't help it, I was anal about it.
                    Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

And I just received a first cut at a spec sheet and price quote on the second custom order today. It needed some corrections, so there will be at least one more version before being signed off.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does this have the special feature that we discussed at NAMM? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
                      [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        [ QUOTE ]
                        it's the 15 months wait time!

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, how "dramatic" is your CS gonna be? Reason I ask is, if you read the NAMM threads, I asked both Walker & Kotzen about this and I was told that 2 luthiers were hired recently expressly to assist Mike Shannon and Pablo on CS WOs. They are targeting "10 - 12 months" for lead times.

In fact, I just checked my notes; Mike's assistant is "Red Dave" and Pablo's is "Enrique" (who has been with Jackson a while)

Hope this helps in your decision.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought they were hyping the "master built" deal with only 1 guy building your guitar from start to finish. Guess that didnt work out for them? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          I thought they were hyping the "master built" deal with only 1 guy building your guitar from start to finish.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, where did you hear that? Do you have a link?

Jackson ain't GMW! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

Anyone know the number of CS guitars built each year?

Its unjustifiably poor business management when the turnaound time is that long. Even if they want to preserve the "exclusiveness" of the CS, its unacceptable to keep customers waiting this long for a product that takes no more than 1-2 months to build. From hiring interns, to data entry clerks, to full-time luthiers and painters, its not that difficult a business, and if J/C management were serious about the CS business they'd fix this right away.

If they wanted, J/C should be able to cut the lead time down to 3-4 months without incurring significant business risks, all while capturing meaningful incremental and lost revenues.

Perhaps management just isnt that serious about the custom shop business, or don't feel the business opportunity is big enough to commit more resources to it.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              Perhaps management just isnt that serious about the custom shop business, or don't feel the business opportunity is big enough to commit more resources to it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Give me break. This is nonsense and just your uninformed opinion.

Comment

Working...
                              X