Why was the AT-1 so unsuccessful?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why was the AT-1 so unsuccessful?

I've owned my AT-1 since 1996, and it's one of my go-to guitars. I've never really understood its lack of popularity. It's a Jackson USA, made in the same shop as the custom shop guitars. It has Sperzal locking tuners, a great Wilkenson tremelo, flamed maple top, ebony fretboard and a rock maple neck. Top quality workmanship. AND GREAT TONE!!!!

Yet on the used market, it gets no love. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Re: Why was the AT-1 so unsuccessful?

I love the AT-1 but my guess is:
    It was heavy.
    People didn't like the chrome covered Armstrong pickups.
    The Wilkenson trem was good for vibrato but it wouldn't stay in tune for heavy whammy action
    The headstock was not typical Jackson.
    It wasn't that much cheaper than the PRS guitars it was copying when it came out.
    People thought of it as a copy of a PRS CE series.

Great guitar BTW... I love em.

Comment

Because people are stupid and don't realize what a great guitar archtops are...look what happened to the SLATQH [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

Comment

I think maybe because it was a little different. Its not exactly a metal looking guitar, so that turns off alot of potential buyers. It also had a different headstock and body shape. Both the AT-1 and the SLATQH were discontinued, so maybe the arch-tops were not something people wanted, although I love the SLATQH.

Maybe some others can chime in here with their thoughts.

Comment

AT-1 is a very nice guitar, headstock turned me off and the slatqh is beyond what I want to spend.
          Charvel 7308 (TMZ 008), Charvel Pro-mod (yellow), Jackson Soloist Custom (Yellow), Jackson SL2H-V Natural, Gibson LPS DB, Gibson LPS EB, Gibson LPCC C, Charvel Model 2 (scalloped), Jackson DK2M (white), Charvel Journeyman, Fender Classic Player 60's strat, Carvin C66, Musikraft strat mutt, Warmoth Strat mutt, Fender MIM Jazz bass, Epiphone Classical, Takamine parlor. Marshall 2203, Marshall JVM 210H, Splawn Nitro, Fender Supersonic 22, Line 6 AX2 212, Marshall 4X12.

Comment

I'm guessing it just didn't "scream" Jackson. Most people looking to spend that kind of money are expecting the trademark Jackson features: thin neck, sharkfin inlays, hot pickups and a Floyd.

I bought a then-new AT2T Pro, which was the Japanese version with a rosewood/dot fretboard and wrap-around Wilkinson TOM bridge. I loved the headstock shape, and to this day, that Armstrong neck pickup had the best clean tone I've ever heard out of a humbucker. I even spent the cash for some nice abalone inlays. Unfortunately, I developed a great dislike of TOM bridges and sold it to a friend, which I often regret.
            sigpic

Comment

The AT? My guess is that the headstock and covered pickups killed it for most Jackson players

As far as the SLATQH goes, It was never a full blown production model. It was always a limited production even though it's listed with the USA select series on the website. I can't remember how many they made a year, but I guess in the end, they just decided to end it. I'm mot sure if I would call it unsuccessful though. I bought a brand new one in 2004 and it was only a few hundred more than an SL1, SL1T, SL2H and SL2HT. It was a no brainer for me.
              "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

People didn't like the chrome covered Armstrong pickups.

It wasn't that much cheaper than the PRS guitars it was copying when it came out.
                People thought of it as a copy of a PRS CE series.

Great guitar BTW... I love em.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree about the Armstrong pickups. I ended up replacing the Armstrongs with....drum roll please....PRS Vintage Bass/HFS pickups. And guess what, it sounds just like a PRS CE!!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

It wasnt a Metal guitar.
                  Simple as that.

Comment

Now my Death Angel, thats a fuckin' arch top. I love arch tops, but just pointy ones. Eventually I want to build a small army of them.
                    Hear the universe scream
                    Bleeding from black holes
                    Whom horns careless
                    And whom God mourns

Comment

Somebody post a pic of these, I think I have the jap version AT-2 3 on a side pointyhead, two hums, mine just has chrome pickup rings, les paul style toggle, and wilkinson trem, archtopped, with a big butt, and little horns, just a little ugly, is that it?
                      METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

Sounds about right.

Although the "big butt, and little horns, just a little ugly" sounds like my mother-in-law.
                        sigpic

Comment

|__ [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] ..2nd time today..

someone requested the pic, here's the catalog page:

Comment

I loved mine and was really hurt when I had to sell it.... AT-1s rock.

Comment

Those are nice. Never seen one before.
                              I kind os wish they would bring it back, but then again the SLS didn't sell either.
                              How are the SLSMG sales numbers? That seems to have stayed around.
                              Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

Working...
                              X