Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: JA0072.. but.. *rant*

[ QUOTE ]
    Aside from the asthetic and the frets, how is it structurally, and does it play?

[/ QUOTE ]

well.. it's not bad to play really.. but like Jim stated, that's not the point: I would still have considered buying the guitar in this condition, but I would have paid less of course then what I did.

Anyway, thanks for the support guys! It took already some time before I got it, so I'll go for the full refund via VISA/Paypal.. keep you posted!

Comment

No I agree totally, it's not the point - It was just in case you get stuck with it, at least you have something to work with.....

Try to get shipping and import tax costs included in any refund.....
      Popular is not the same as good
      Rare is not the same as valuable
      Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        Try to get shipping and import tax costs included in any refund.....

[/ QUOTE ]

good tip Ian! thanks!

Comment

OMG.... This is crazy!
          I hate buying Jackson on Ebay and this reminded me once again!!

Comment

this is why i NEVER buy guitars off ebay or used. i pay the full price in a shop knowing i have a manufacturers warranty. if the ebay description was not accurate or ridiculously false, assuming it was bought via paypal, a refund is definately a requirement.
            Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

That guitar was a Katrina victim, I'd bet money on it. The top has split at the bookmatch, the binding has come off, the wood looks pitted and waterlogged. She was definitely submerged. What a tragedy, such a lovely guitar before that all happened. I dunno what the hell happened to those frets though!

Comment

<font color="aqua">jeeeeeezzzzz.....what a shame.....I'm so sorry, Peter....good luck on getting the refund, bro, you seriously deserve it... [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] </font>
                Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

thanks Dave!

no worries yet, based on a previous experience, VISA doesn't offer any problems for a full refund in such a case.. so VISA file complaint is ready to be entered tomorrow,
                  no time wasting on Ebay/Paypal itself in this case.

btw, I did play on it.. it's not that bad playing-wise [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Comment

<font color="aqua">so I can't stop looking at the pictures and the do-it-yourselfer in me is dying to strip it to see how bad the wood really is.... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] </font>
                    Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

I think it's not that bad Dave.. but I'm currently already stripped on this one..

maybe when the refund is made, we can do a restoration project?

Comment

Looks like it would be pretty extensive to me, the fingerboard is probably starting to come unglued if it was under water, especially if the binding is disintegrating. That top needs to be replaced and thats an archtop. The back needs to be filled and repainted as does the headstock. The guitar needs to be refretted. It would be quite a project. At least thats my decidedly non expert opinion. Still you could do some awesome stuff with that if you have the building experience. LMI has some truly insane pieces of quilted sapele mahogany at 1 and 2/8 thickness probably enough to do a soft archtop. All Mahogany guitar! You could get a nice brazilian board and put the pearl sharkies into the new fingerboard (the inlays probably are fine from the original). The guitar needs to be rebound. And anyone with some painting and restoration experience can do the filling and refinish. But still probably close to a grand in materials and of course the time spent.

Comment

man, my stomach turned looking at those pics. You must've been livid when you opened the case.
                          Hail yesterday

Comment

I thought Katrina as well, but thought it might be in poor taste to mention it....
                            Popular is not the same as good
                            Rare is not the same as valuable
                            Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

It's water damage, but not as bad as I've seen. remember the Katrina Soloist? That was wrecked. This one may have been from Katrina, but it wasn't submerged for that long if at all. It seems like water damage attacks any glued joints.

Good luck with it. I get bummed out every time I look at those pictures.
                              "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                                It's water damage, but not as bad as I've seen. remember the Katrina Soloist? That was wrecked.

[/ QUOTE ]

I tend to agree on that Jim.. just trying to see something positive I guess [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                                X